5000 rpm option on FL300-II

Thread: 5000 rpm option on FL300-II

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 5000 rpm option on FL300-II

I'm looking to get one of these cnc lathes in the next couple of months (probably after the winter deep freeze), currently leaning towards the FL300-II
    Did anyone here spring for the 5000 rpm option?

My intent is to cut aluminum and steel, perhaps thin walled aluminum. Would it help me?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5000 rpm option on FL300-II

I saw this unit over on Practical Machinist- has the 6000 rpm spindle and I think price is under 20K.
    https://www.chicagolathe.com/chicago...ant-pro-300-3/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bit pusher View Post
    I'm looking to get one of these cnc lathes in the next couple of months (probably after the winter deep freeze), currently leaning towards the FL300-II
    Did anyone here spring for the 5000 rpm option?

My intent is to cut aluminum and steel, perhaps thin walled aluminum. Would it help me?
    I have the 3000rpm one. Really didn’t see the need to go higher. I’m super happy with it btw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Norvil l View Post
    I saw this unit over on Practical Machinist- has the 6000 rpm spindle and I think price is under 20K.
    Looks very similar to the ones sold by Smithy, probably another Z-Mat made lathe?
    I think with the turret the pricing is very close.

I'm leaning towards the Smithy FL300-II as they're local to me (about 80 miles away).

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah the pics look pretty similar. I can't speak to the service on anything but Smithy, which has been awesome. I really haven't had any major issues, I did have a limit switch break which they sent me out 2 replacements - got them 2 days later.
    And Kade, the Smithy guy is very responsive. I looked hard at the tormach, but for the same money you get an industrial size/quality machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just remember with a 5k spindle you need 5k work holding. A lot of manual 3 jaw chucks aren't rated that high.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    Just remember with a 5k spindle you need 5k work holding. A lot of manual 3 jaw chucks aren't rated that high.
    Yeah, The Chicago lathe offers either a hydraulic 3 jaw or collet chuck- with a machine like this a manual chuck would defeat the purpose of spending that kind of money. With a hydraulic chuck and bar feeder you have a machine that can really produce parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    I'm new to CNC lathes, so please bear with my noob question!
    Can the pneumatic 5c collet chuck handle 5k?
    My intent is to cut parts 2" and under, I wanted to use step collets.

I was thinking something like this:

thanks in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm new to CNC lathes, so please bear with my noob question!
    Can the pneumatic 5c collet chuck handle 5k?
    My intent is to cut parts 2" and under, I wanted to use step collets.

I was thinking something like this:

thanks in advance!
    Yes, the 5 C will handle 5000, as long as the stickout is minimal, but that would not work with a bar feeder. You would still have to change parts by hand even with the hydraulic collet closer. Your better option would be the hydraulic 3 jaw which would allow use of the bar feeder and automate your process a lot more. Again as long as the part can handle the 3 point pressure of the chuck.

Downloads
    Uploads

hmm. Brand new company, website created in Feb 2017. Trading off of the name of an older (now defunct) machine tool company, but probably has no relationship to them.

I think you would be better off buying from Smithy, they actually have a real physical footprint in the US, with a distribution center and have been around for 30 years.

Here is the "storefront" for the address given as "Chicago Lathe".... it inspires confidence (note this image was taken in Aug 2016... maybe it looks fancier now):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5000 rpm option on FL300-II-chicago_lathe-jpg  
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the 5 C will handle 5000, as long as the stickout is minimal, but that would not work with a bar feeder. You would still have to change parts by hand even with the hydraulic collet closer. Your better option would be the hydraulic 3 jaw which would allow use of the bar feeder and automate your process a lot more. Again as long as the part can handle the 3 point pressure of the chuck.
    Thank you for the advice.

Can a 5C chuck system be upgraded at a later date to a hydraulic 3-jaw chuck?
    Though it may not matter if I'm theading 2" thin walled steel or titanium as the through spindle capacity seems to be less than 1.5" ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the advice.

Can a 5C chuck system be upgraded at a later date to a hydraulic 3-jaw chuck?
    Though it may not matter if I'm theading 2" thin walled steel or titanium as the through spindle capacity seems to be less than 1.5" ?
    I would guess that if they offer both options, then they could be traded out, but you should ask them directly. Also there may be a way to adjust jaw pressure on the 3 jaw for thin wall pieces. Chicago lathe shows a spindle bore of 2" on their machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah- I did a google map search and found the same picture. Smithy made their name in those 3 in1 machines and has only recently gotten into these larger units, so they really don't have a long history. In fact I think they are just buying off the shelf Chinese units that this new company can also buy. Smithy stumbled with a couple earlier versions of a CNC lathe and their own software brand and now seem to be on a catchup mode with a 'shotgun" approach by offering a bunch of these Chinese machines with their own name attached.

Downloads
    Uploads

true. But at least the Smithy parent company has been around a long time, and is unlikely to pack up and disappear overnight, leaving your with a lemon and no US support.

For example, Smithy sold a user here a machine with all sorts of problems, and ended up taking it back and giving him an upgrade to the FL-300-II.

Worth paying a bit more for that kind of support. Also, just because machines look identical doesn't mean they are. A bigger company with more orders can demand higher QC from the manufacturer, and the "fly by night" drop-ship company might be selling the rejects from the larger company.

I agree with you about "shotgun"... seems like Smithy would be better off with three distinct machines that don't overlap capability and price range. Easier to provide after sales support as well.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    true. But at least the Smithy parent company has been around a long time, and is unlikely to pack up and disappear overnight, leaving your with a lemon and no US support.

Worth paying a bit more for that kind of support. Also, just because machines look identical doesn't mean they are. A bigger company with more orders can demand higher QC from the manufacturer, and the "fly by night" drop-ship company might be selling the rejects from the larger company.

I agree with you about "shotgun"... seems like Smithy would be better off with three distinct machines that don't overlap capability and price range. Easier to provide after sales support as well.
    Smithy was once a beginner too- it's rather unfair to characterize some one as a "fly by night" just because they are new in the business. Unless, of course, you have some sort of evidence to back it up. On the flip side of your theory is that a big company with a lot of fixed overhead who has fallen behind the trends is in a more precarious position than a newbie with little investment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys, I'm still researching this.
    I'm led to believe that the specs on the website are not 100% accurate.
    Can any actual owners comment on what the true dimensions are?
    The website states: 67” x 47” x 61” --- and that the weight is 2900 lbs, I think the weight is probably off by at least 1000!
    I trust the HP listed in the specs is incorrect too?

thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah mine is 1600kg . It’s bigger than that 51x81 or close to it