Help on cnc convert for a smithy 1324 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on cnc convert for a smithy 1324

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think direct drive with manual operation is going to work, assuming you use ballscrews as the pitch will be to large for manual use. You could possibly stick with acme leadscrews and direct stepper drive and put up with the inevitable backlash issue. You should investigatermore as to why the Smithy option uses a belt drive, there is probably a good reason that you should understand before you jump.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by cadsolidworks33 View Post
    Guys
    I've look around and cant find any thing on cnc for a smithy machine. Besides smithy products, which I'm not comfortable with astepper motor and a belt pully drive. I like to find where it's direct drive double end stepper motor setup. That can do a 3 in 1. their should a program that could split up operations with a 3 in1.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

where can i get lead screws and what would the cost be.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Dad is old fashion but it's his machine. I'm trying to help out and see whats the best way and find someone close to help out.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of my friends told me that Mach3 was the best out their for software. Plus my dad dosen't trust belt drive pullys.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy a crank handle that simply drives the stepper motors directly, I believe they can be calibrated to whatever step distance you want. I think they are pretty reasonable as well. Try Littlemachineshop.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    My name is Del and like Tim I'm having difficulty finding a CNC conversion for my Smithy. Mine is a discontinued 3-1 model MI-1720 CNC. How would I learn to do it myself as TPMX did?? I can build many things but for this I will need a plan! I'm interested in shape cutting brass and al. with the mill. Any help appreciated!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I may be interested in getting the ball screws that you used to retrofit your Granite 1340 TPMX. I would like to know also if you were able to use ballscrews on the Z-axis - I think that I will try to answer that question myself by going to the Smithy display site that you suggested above. Thanks in advance - Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim,
    I have been looking to convert my Smithy also. Here is a link to a guy that has done one already. If you have any questions let me know.
    SMITHY 1220LTD CNC CONVERSION

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Smithy 1324 MAX and was looking at CNC options. I came across the link to the 1220 conversion above. It is using direct drive steppers at over 1000 oz in on ball screws.

The kit that Smithy sells for over 4k only has 424 oz in steppers and I assume they have you using the factory screws. I have also noticed that they have a kit to attach the motors via pulleys and belts that seems from the pictures to be a gear reduction. It may be that the Smithy kit is just very slow??

Can anyone comment on what they used for a motor screw combination?

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FabMonkey View Post
    I have a Smithy 1324 MAX and was looking at CNC options. I came across the link to the 1220 conversion above. It is using direct drive steppers at over 1000 oz in on ball screws.

The kit that Smithy sells for over 4k only has 424 oz in steppers and I assume they have you using the factory screws. I have also noticed that they have a kit to attach the motors via pulleys and belts that seems from the pictures to be a gear reduction. It may be that the Smithy kit is just very slow??

Can anyone comment on what they used for a motor screw combination?

Thanks!
    You are probably well aware of the milling limitations already. If you do the CNC conversion you will be in the same situation- you will have an OK cnc lathe at best. Following is a link to a guy who had 2 of them he spent about 13K on and was dumping them for around 3K.

2 ea Smithy Granite 3-in-1 Mill Drill Lathe + CNC & DRO - eBay (item 360322280721 end time Dec-03-10 14:31:21 PST)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply.
    I did not see any info in the description on that auction about screws and motor sizes.

They lathe seems solid to me. I have not done much with the mill yet but will only be milling aluminium or plastics.

My thoughts are that I will remove the factory nuts/screws and get ball screws and install an encoder on lathe so I can still thread. I have no issues using the machine via the jog wheel on a VCP for simple things.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a granite 1340 that I am wanting to convert to cnc and ball screws

no handles needed

should i just direct drive, or go the belt route like smithy did, If i go direct drive what steppers should i be using

I need to know where to start, and there are no cnc conversions to be purchased, so this will be a part together kit

I have fusion 360 and plan on using that

There are kits on ebay with the three steppers, drivers, and other parts for 3 axis

ANY information that I can get would be helpful and appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12