Sinumerik 840C in comparison

Thread: Sinumerik 840C in comparison

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    my boss recently approached me and asked if I have experience with Siemens Sinumerik- he said a machine was ‘given’ to him that has a Sinumerik 840C controller.
    I have experiences with HH TNC 145-iTNC530, Mazak M640 Fusion (or so) ,Matrix as well as HH Millplus (5axes).
    I have also worked on an EMCO turning machine with Siemens Shopturn during my apprenticeship. That was quite easy but the parts were only ‘trainee parts’.
    I told my boss that I believe that it’s possible to learn pretty much everything and that I was confidence to be able to do it. However during my previous research, I could not find much information about it. The 840 C isn’t often used anymore, isn’t it?

I would mainly have to program drilling processing, so the whole spectrum from normal HSS drills until 35xD VHM drills, high speed rasp , thread milling, mill fits … and so on.

Does anybody know if the controller is suitable for this kind of processing? It’s possible to process almost everything but I have to say that the Mazak controller is very nice and easy to use.
    How can you process a part from 3 side with that controller? IS the NP dragged along (MillPlus) or do I create an UP for each side and then call it in the main program to process it (Mazak)

How can I program a inclined drilling?

Lots and lots of questions! =)

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anybody know if the controller is suitable for this kind of processing? It’s possible to process almost everything but I have to say that the Mazak controller is very nice and easy to use.
    How can you process a part from 3 side with that controller? IS the NP dragged along (MillPlus) or do I create an UP for each side and then call it in the main program to process it (Mazak)

Hello Steff
    The 840 C was a good controller during its high season but since the end of the 90s, only the 840D is sold. That means that there were no further developments!
    What the machine can do or can’t do depends on its features. With Siemens- you are/were able to order almost everything – but normally only as an option.
    And then it also depends on how many ‘hits’ the machine got in it’s ‘life’.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello thank you already- so the C is only a ‘’ forerunner’’ of the D controller?
    Kind regards
    Steff