x64 windows 7

Thread: x64 windows 7

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default x64 windows 7

Is anyone out there running Velocity 4 on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine yet? I am unimpressed with V4 performance under Vista 64 particularly with the multi-threading toolpaths. It won't load up the CPU more than 25% for a 4 core processor.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it's working under x64 Vista it should work just fine with 7. However, I very seriously doubt that you will see any change. Microsoft claims better multi threading performance with 7 but if the program is not made to take advantage of it you are going to see minimal gains.

John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it doesn't work fine under Vista 64 - it doesn't multi thread properly. Vista creates a bottle neck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You'll have to forgive me but I'm not familiar with the program. Is it a multi threaded app? If so I'm not sure 7 will help as it is a very tweaked version of vista. If it's not a multi threaded app then it's not going to matter what OS you're using.

Using google to search their site for "threaded" gives no results (plenty for multi though).

John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Surfcam by it's nature is stuck as a 32 bit app. Windows 7 is supposed to have a better XP 32 emulator compared to Vista. What is happening is that certain threads are only occurring singularly limiting performance in the multi thread toolpaths.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have an example of the multi thread toolpaths? Not sure what you mean.

We had a Vista computer for a while but dumped it after it refused to do the automatic updates. After spending a whole day on the phone with tech support and reinstalling Vista it worked for a week until the next update and it failed to install, that was enough for us. My XP pro machine is fast enough. I see no need to upgrade to Win 7. Surfcam runs just fine on XP 32 bit. We create some huge files, up to 20 megs, and it only takes a few seconds.

Last edited by moldcore; 11-18-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All of the "new" 3 axis toolpaths - steep/shallow, 3D offset, pencil and rest are all multi thread toolpaths. On my computer if I generate any one of these I never see a CPU load higher than 25% (4 core cpu) with each core only seeing 6-7% load. If I limit surfcam to only use one cpu core I see exactly the same performance. I want to know if anyone running Windows 7 x64 sees higher cpu loads.

The reason I'm running a x64 system is for Solidworks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Moldcore,

What's kind specification of your XP Pro Computer? How large V.M.setting for this X32computer?

I run a lot of case for L.E.D. Lamp Housing or Shose Mold and the file size over 20 MB, (over 2,000 Surfaces for each part) not only the new Finish tool path but also the 3 Axis TrueMill, I need to seperate to 2 -- 3 section for programming, otherwise, I got "Out of memory" or "Compute Fail".

Downloads
    Uploads

I was told that SurfCAM did not work with Windows 7 x64. We are using SurfCAM Velocity 4 on a XP Pro x64 Intel i5, 8.0 Gb RAM machine with no problems at all. The x64 is for SolidWorks as stated by someone before. It is too bad that SurfCAM has not released a 64 bit system yet.

Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ltmquik View Post
    I was told that SurfCAM did not work with Windows 7 x64. We are using SurfCAM Velocity 4 on a XP Pro x64 Intel i5, 8.0 Gb RAM machine with no problems at all. The x64 is for SolidWorks as stated by someone before. It is too bad that SurfCAM has not released a 64 bit system yet.
    I've been going back and forth with some of the developers at surfware over the last week sorting out another issue and it was relieved to me that true multi threading is not yet enabled and that there is a x64 version in the works (might be a couple years out). As for running in Win7 x64 - I was told there are no problems. Win7 is supposed to have better x32 support than vista x64.

JP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have Surfcam Velocity 4 running fine on windows 7 x64 with the new Intel I7 chipset, with 6g ram. It runs great, no problem with any function, just a few liscence issues but all good now.