Newbie DIY CNC for Acrylic.... where do I start.

Thread: DIY CNC for Acrylic.... where do I start.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY CNC for Acrylic.... where do I start.

Sorry mods if this is in the incorrect forum.

Ok... I know what I want to do, but just don't know how to do it. And that is to build a 3 axis DIY CNC for acrylic. As I have no clue where to start, let alone even what questions to start, I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I don't need (at least for starters lol) a big machine, but maybe 24"x24" table size?

Throw some Q's at me so I can start the R&D on this thing. About how much (yes I am sure it depends on some 'bells and whistles') would a table of this size cost?

Thanks to all that can help and looking forward to any replies.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Plan>B View Post
    Sorry mods if this is in the incorrect forum.

Ok... I know what I want to do, but just don't know how to do it. And that is to build a 3 axis DIY CNC for acrylic. As I have no clue where to start, let alone even what questions to start, I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I don't need (at least for starters lol) a big machine, but maybe 24"x24" table size?

Throw some Q's at me so I can start the R&D on this thing. About how much (yes I am sure it depends on some 'bells and whistles') would a table of this size cost?

Thanks to all that can help and looking forward to any replies.
    Hi
    Here is a good site for a kit 3'x2'. One of the best I've seen on the net
    http://www.finelineautomation.com/ They have motors and control boxes and cables etc. Pretty good prices.
    You will need electronics and a computer and software also. So about $3000.00. There are cheaper solutions but you have to be carfull you don't get junk. Some stuff is free off the net like software and there are plans for machines. I bought a used 4x4 techno router for about $2000 and now I have to spend another $1000 to upgrade it but I knew that going in. Another $2000 for software, Bobcad, training vids, add ons and I got mach3 to run the machine.
    There are some good videos on you tube of people cutting out clear plastic guitars from acrylic.
    Can't help you out with speeds and feeds. Make sure you make your machine big enough for your needs and a little more. You won't regret having a bigger table but you surely will if it is too small and it doesn't cost much more to add a little size right off the bat. Good luck

Ted

If you are going to be a Bear... then be a Grizzly!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey thanks to all that have taken the time to reply.

I am getting real close to know what I want to get, but I am not sure of the router to buy. What are some suggestions? If you can, provide Model numbers please. Just trying to compare at this time.

Thanks once again.

If you don't like it build it yourself

Downloads
    Uploads

Plan>B
    There is a bunch of build threads. Click on build threads links, they should have some routers. Here. http://cncrouterparts.com/

My techno has a 5 hp porter cable with a slide switch that has 4 positions for different speeds. I'll have to get the model number another day as the machine is not here.

Ted

If you are going to be a Bear... then be a Grizzly!