head stock and tail stock chucks

Thread: head stock and tail stock chucks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default head stock and tail stock chucks

Does any know where I can find simple plans or drawings for a 3 or 4 jaw head stock as well as tail stock? I would perfer free plans if possible.(I know....he sure is asking for alot lol).I don't have a metal lathe so I guess it has to be made out of wood or plastic. Guess what I am asking for is something that can be easily made. I want to build a 4th axis for my homemade cnc(the pipe dream) that will hold 1" round wood stock

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Chucks are actually pretty cheap. Harbor Freight has many 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

One of my more recent purchases there, is a small 3 jaw self-centering chuck mounted on a MT2, which they sell for their mini lathes. I have it in my manual woodworking lathe right now -- I enjoy making small projects.

Anyway, I believe it can be separated from the mount, and the price is definitely right...I got it on sale for $9.99. Runout is in the neighborhood of .003, on my example. WAY closer than is necessary for most woodworking.

Let me see if I can find a URL for it.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4486

Their other offerings are equally interesting, especially the bare 4 jaw chucks for the woodworking lathes. This one mounts on a 3/4" threaded shaft -- talk about EASY!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31223

Or, if you want to make one yourself, you might try just duplicating the second design...it's not difficult. I think I've seen someone's site, where they did just that.

Since you said it'd just be 1" round stock, you might try a collet. It'd be a 1" diameter hole bored into something, some radial slits to allow it to compress, and a nut around it to compress it onto the workpiece... It'd work just like the collets on your router. Should be simple to make...cheap too.

-- Chuck Knight

Last edited by chuckknigh; 10-18-2004 at 12:49 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey thanks chuck, but I can't seem to get them here in canada, they won't send a cat. and the 1 800# will not work. I have tried emailing them with no responce back.

Downloads
    Uploads

They're just generic Chinese imports. Enco, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Cummins Tools, Homier Mobile Merchants and probably even more that I'm forgetting, all sell the same stuff. I've heard a lot about Canadian Tire...isn't that an inexpensive hardware/tool store up by you?

Let me look around and see if I can find the online site that mentioned a wooden chuck.

-- Chuck Knight