Help with setting up this part

Thread: Help with setting up this part

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Help with setting up this part

Hey Guys,

I am a newbie in Solidcam and I am having problems with this part not coming out correctly on the Solidcam simulator. I am using Mach3 as my machine code translator for a router. I set it up using a profile for the outer part and then a second pocket operation with the center cut out. I tried using only one chain on the profile cut, which did not cut the entire cutout. So, I tried adding a second chain but it still does not cut out the entire section. Basically it is only going once around the center circle. How should I be making this part in SolidCam??

Also, the second picture is another problem I am having. It seems that when I bring in the gcode to Mach3 and make a simulated run in Mach3, the starting point of the tool is always pretty far away from the part as shown in the example. How do I make it so that the tool starts where I want it to start. Let's say if I wanted the cutting bit to start or be zeroed at the center of the circle. Do I do this in Solidcam or is this a Mach3 issue.

Thanks for the help, let me know if you have any questions. Also, I cannot find any kind of SolidCam book or tutorial (other than that offered by solidworks) on the web. Can anyone suggest any books or material, I am basically learning this on my own.

Thanks again,
    skipper

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with setting up this part-raised-circle-2-jpg   Help with setting up this part-raised-circle-3jpg-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setting up paths in Solidcam

1. You selected two profile paths in solidcam. Go to the multipath button and select the two chains their. It will then cut the pocket.

2. When I drew your part I sarted by drawing a square and placed a construction line diagonally acrcoss it. The centre of the diagonal was then locked on to the origin. This meant that when the part was set up in cam the origin became my start point to the tool path. While setting up the cam program with model, material, and stock you will find the tool start position as 0,0,0. I changed that to 0,0,15. This suits my router which runs under Mach 3.

3. If you find a good book let me know for I am also new to solidcam.

Thankyou for the question I learnt more about solidcam and solved two of my problems looking for you aanswers, if only I could remember how I set the start point up. Still the tool path is attached.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks a few more questions

Hi,

Thanks for the input it was alot of help. I loaded up your file in Mach3 to run a simulation and from the starting plot could see that it cut the pocket out first (from the center) and then the outer profile. The first problem I had was that your file is in metric and my Mach3 is set up for English units so I added a G21 line to your code (I do not know g-code very well).

Here is the part where I am confused, I am doing something wrong with my set up. What I initially did was to zero all the table axises. Once everything was zeroed, I manually jogged the x,y and z axis to a location centered on my Router table from where I wanted to start my cutting. Then, I zeroed the mach3 axis locations that I just jogged to. I should mentioned that I move the z-axis in a positive direction pretty high so that when the program started it would have plenty of room before it ever hit the home switch.

So, when I hit go button, when it got to M01 of the program in move the z-axis way down to -54 or so to where I think it actually hit the limit switch. Why does the M01 make the z axis go negative so far down?? It did this even when I first had it configured to inches, it move the z way down and hit the switch. After in stopped on the M01, I hit the go button again and off it went. I took 1:03 minute to complete the job! Over an hour, is that too long??

I don't know enough g-code to get the z-axis to start in the right place. If I had really been cutting a project, the z-axis would have crashed into the part. Am I setting it up correctly by zeroing the machine axis and then jogging the tool to where I want it to be and then zeroing the Mach3 coordinates?? For some reason, when ever I start a program, the z-axis never seems to start from where I zeroed it. It always wants to move down too far?? Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks again,
    skipper

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi skipper
    I have commented in the text of your questions.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the input it was alot of help. I loaded up your file in Mach3 to run a simulation and from the starting plot could see that it cut the pocket out first (from the center) and then the outer profile. The first problem I had was that your file is in metric and my Mach3 is set up for English units so I
    added a G21 line to your code (I do not know g-code very well).

[Press the G code button on Mach3 interface they are all their. Imperial is a dying measure in Australia. Expect for models of old things.]

Here is the part where I am confused, I am doing something wrong with my set up. What I initially did was to zero all the table axises. Once everything was zeroed, I manually jogged the x,y and z axis to a location centered on my Router table from where I wanted to start my cutting. Then, I zeroed the mach3 axis locations that I just jogged to.

[ That is what I do. I have a simple machine so I clamp my part. I then use Mach 3 to drive the cutter over the start point I have marked on materal. I then carefully lower the cutter until it kisses the surface a strong light helps. This becomes my origin. When I set the material up in solidcam I place my origin on the top surface at this point. I then zero Mach 3 on all axis. Next I issued a manual z5 command which is my tool clearance. I then start my program running. If you look at the Mach 3 page "Tool Path Alt4" their is a window program limits. If you see a negative z limit of more than the thickness of you material the you have a problem. The program I sent as a low z of -10mm the thickness of the material. ]

I should mentioned that I move the z-axis in a positive direction pretty high so that when the program started it would have plenty of room before it ever hit the home switch.

So, when I hit go button, when it got to M01 of the program in move the z-axis way down to -54 or so to where I think it actually hit the limit switch. Why does the M01 make the z axis go negative so far down??

[The g code is not doing this the code I sent has no M01 commands. You need to look at your setup something is wrong. If you get one generated delete it it is am optional stop. Check to see if you have accidentally set a tool change postion. ]

It did this even when I first had it configured to inches, it move the z way down and hit the switch. After in stopped on the M01, I hit the go button again and off it went. I took 1:03 minute to complete the job! Over an hour, is that too long??

[ I run with a dremel drill that takes 2:17:21hrs in simulation. I used a 3mm cutter so it takes time.]

I don't know enough g-code to get the z-axis to start in the right place. If I had really been cutting a project, the z-axis would have crashed into the part. Am I setting it up correctly by zeroing the machine axis and then jogging the tool to where I want it to be and then zeroing the Mach3 coordinates??

[see comments above. Remember your tool paths are are effected from how you draw the model in solid works thru solidcam to you mach3 setup. ]

For some reason, when ever I start a program, the z-axis never seems to start from where I zeroed it. It always wants to move down too far?? Hope this all makes sense.
    [No it doesnot completely but just test and adjust. A good test progam is Z1 if it does not just move up 1in then you have some setup code running. ]
    Thanks again,
    skipper

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default more questions.

Hi Doug,

A few more things:

You wrote "Next I issued a manual z5 command which is my tool clearance". Where and how do I issue that command. Do I type it in a dialoge box?

Also, you wrote "The g code is not doing this the code I sent has no M01 commands". If I open the file you posted, the 10th line or so has a M01 line in it. When I bring it into Mach3 it reads it as a .txt file and not a g-code file, could that be the problem?

Last thing, "No it doesnot completely but just test and adjust. A good test progam is Z1 if it does not just move up 1in then you have some setup code running". Do I just type this in the dialoge box and hit go?

Thanks,
    skipper

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi skipper

1. I am using Mach 2.45.
    2.You wrote "Next I issued a manual z5 command which is my tool clearance". Where and how do I issue that command. Do I type it in a dialoge box?

Click on menu "MIDI Alt2" click into the ÏNPUT" box type Z5 and press enter. The spindle should rise 5mm.

3.Also, you wrote "The g code is not doing this the code I sent has no M01 commands". If I open the file you posted, the 10th line or so has a M01 line in it.

OOPS!!! If you go to tab "Toolpath Alt4" and click "m code " button. You will see the code is "optional program stop" which will not trouble you unless your machine has a program to retract the tool.

4. When I bring it into Mach3 it reads it as a .txt file and not a g-code file, could that be the problem? All g code files a .txt file as producted by notpad.exe. Common extentions are .txt .gc .nc

5. Last thing, "No it does not completely but just test and adjust. A good test progam is Z1 if it does not just move up 1in then you have some setup code running". Do I just type this in the dialoge box and hit go?

Open a file in notepad type in Z1 and save it as .gc or ant extension you choose. Load into Mach3 and test. When finding the proble you can add code lines until you observe the behaviour.

Good luck

Doug