Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enhancement request

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Enhancement request

Hi Scott,

Two requests for what we think are enhancements:-

1. Allow all tools to have selectable different colours (as now), but be able to set all their rapids to be red (as a global 'tick button').
    This would make the 'danger moves' stand out a little more?

2. Have a 'tick button' which allows the following:-
    When the backplot gets to the end of a tool, it pauses. Then when you click the animate button to continue, it erases the previous tool and starts generating the new tool. This way the screen would be clearer when running large files?

Many thanks,
    Terry

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a different twist to this. I would like to see a mode where all the tool paths but the current tool's path are ghosted. A user settable ghost percent so you can fade it a little or all the way to black. And I would like it to work as you are scrolling through the code after having just clicked a "Refresh Plot".

My preference would be for it to decide what is a new tool based on seeing an "T" command. And that it would not care even if the current tool is the same as the previous tool number.

Cheers
    SF

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry, SF,

These are great suggestions and I'll work on them as soon as I have a chance. It's been a while since I've posted an update - I've had a lot of things going on. But the new update (v2.04) will be ready soon and then I should be back into a regular update cycle.

Thanks,
    Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott,
    We have been using your program for a long time now and like it very much.
    This is the first time I have written to you about the program. I think the suggestions by the previous writers are very good and would enhance the way we use the plot section very much.
    Another enhancement I would like to see is in the machine configurations area.
    A way to setup a machine specific G-code substitution table ie read a G79 as G01, G78 as G00 ect. We have a couple of old Cintimatic A5 machines and to plot a cutter path with code for these machines we have to make those changes in the editor, plot and then change back before saving the program in order to run the machine. With the substitution table NC/Plot would read those codes and translate them to plot normally.
    Thanks for your consideration. Keep up the good work.
    Best regards,
    Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOPS!

I didn't mean to volunteer you for a shed load more work Scott!

I like the 'twist' on my request, and for the one above, could you not have machine specific set-ups?
    ie Have your standard machine congurations like lathe and mill, but be able to copy and rename them to (for example) Cincinatti.
    Then in Setup - machine configuration, you tailor to suit the specific machine.

You could then easily flash back and forth for different machines just by clicking the machine icon on the toolbar?

Keep up the good work, because it is a great package.
    Cheers,
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry,

That's OK, If I wan't doing this then what else would I do??

Actually, the machine configurations already work the way you describe. You can open a configuration and then save it under a new name - "Cincinnati" for example. Then you can adjust the settings as needed. The new configuration will then be included in the list that pops up when you click the toolbar button.

Thanks,
    Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys, I guess I didn't make clear what I wanted to do in my last reply.
    I understand the the different configurations - they set parameters for NC/Plot
    so it can understand the way certain codes are used for a particular machine.
    What I need in this case is a way for NC/Plot to translate a G79 which is the code for feed in the Cintimatic to a G01 which is the code used by NC/Plot and almost everything else, without having to use the editor to change every instance of the code to the other and then back again in the final program so I can run the machine.
    For the Cintimatic a G79 = feed, G80 = rapid, a G78 = Rapid to position then bring the spindle down (if it is not already down) then wait. I have a configuration for this machine but don't know how to include the above in it. It is no big deal as we don't use these machines much but if there is a way I would like to find it.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary,

OK, I understand now what you are asking for. It may be awhile though before I can make NCPlot this flexible.

Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott,
    Been thinking again......

Could the middle button on the mouse (scroll wheel) be the pan when held down (same as autocad)?

Also, is there a way the backplot could (sometimes) work at half speed, or have a slider type bar so the speed can be adjusted?
    I know you can step forward or back on the bar one line at a time, but it would be nice to run continuous but slower, sometimes.

Cheers,
    Terry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Scott,

For the middle button, I forgot to also add a request that if you double clicked it, that zoomed to the extents.

This is how autocad works, and it is very neat.

Thanks,
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry,

I like the middle mouse button idea. Now I'll have an excuse to go buy a new mouse :rainfro:

Right now the only way to control the animation speed is the setting on the Preferences window. Eventually I'm going to make it so that some of the settings windows can be docked into the main window. Then you'll be able to leave them open.

Thanks,
    Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott,
    I just downloaded the latest beta, and have been playing.
    You have been busy!
    All looks really really good. I like the global rapid colour and the previous tool view fade. That really makes the backplotting clearer to see.

I have a couple of queries.
    1. At start up, the motion toolbar and zoom toolbar are at the bottom of the screen, and the view fade toolbar is not active.
    I have activated the fade toolbar, and moved them all to where I wanted them, and quit out (like on the old version). On start up, they are back at the bottom (not where I moved them to) and the view fade is off again.
    I moved them again and this time opened and saved the machine configuration setting to see if this made a difference.
    Nope! Am I missing something?

2. The global rapid colour I changed to red, and saved the machine configuration setting. On start up, it was not active???

3. The text font size is 10 as a default. I changed it to 11 on the old version, by selecting it, right clicking selecting font, and changing it to 11. On quitting, this saved it last time (by memory).
    I tried it again on the beta version, and on start up its back to the default size 10.
    Also, by changing the font size, the colourisation goes. When you refresh the plot, the font size reverts back and the colourisation returns.

Also, any thoughts on the double click middle mouse button for zoom extents?
    Some people are never satisfied!!!

Keep up the excellent work.
    Cheers,
    Terry

Last edited by barbter; 05-25-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry,

Thanks, I *have* been busy.

1. The state of the toolbars is currently not being saved. This is on purpose as I've still got to finish a couple of things on them. I almost didn't include the view fade at all. I was just doing some testing, but instead of taking it back out I just hid the toolbar and didn't mention it in the release notes. But you found it anyway! :rainfro:

2. You're right, I forgot to save these two settings with the configuration. I'll take care of that.

3. I'm not sure what's going on there, I'll check on it.

I haven't done anything yet with the middle mouse button, but I haven't forgotten!

Thanks,
    Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott,
    Been playing with the beta version. All ok so far!!!

One question.
    Say I want to plot one tool complete (start to finish) within a multi tool program.
    Currently, I refresh the program, highlight the tool I want (start to finish), and click 'Plot selected text only'.
    This plots to the screen in one go ok. However, is there a way for it to run as if I had clicked the 'refresh plot' button (ie one line at a time)?

If not, I feel another enhancement request comming on....

Cheers,
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry,

I've been working on some improvements aimed at plotting specific tools, I think these will cover your request.

But, go ahead and tell me your request anyway

Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott,

Currently, I refresh the program, highlight the tool I want (start to finish), and click 'Plot selected text only'.
    This plots to the screen in one go ok. However, is there a way for it to run as if I had clicked the 'refresh plot' button (ie one line at a time)?

If there is not a way to run as if I had clicked the 'refresh plot' button, then that is my request. Please.

Thanks,
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Scott,

Wow, this fade feature works so nice. Thank you.

I always use the color by g-code setting. It was tricky but I realized I needed to temporally turn on color by tool so I could change the switch to tool change on T code (my lathe does not need M06).

Yes I know you are not done with it yet . . . still I already love it!

Cheers
    SF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by single phase View Post
    I always use the color by g-code setting. It was tricky but I realized I needed to temporally turn on color by tool so I could change the switch to tool change on T code (my lathe does not need M06).
    SF,

This is exactly why I copied this setting to the "Run Time Estimation" page. I didn't like that you needed to turn on the color by tool setting just to change the tool change code setting.

Thanks,
    Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott,
    Just in case you've got some more spare time on your hands.....

Just a couple more thoughts:-
    1. Zoom comand.
    As you zoom in (centre wheel on mouse) and out, the centre is always a fixed point (X0Y0).
    On mastercam and autocad, the point that it zooms in (or out) on is where the mouse cross hairs are. This is very neat and fast.
    You can also use it as a pan as well, by quickly zooming out, moving your cross hair, and very quickly zooming back in again. Lots quicker than zooming all, windowing, or panning.
    Is this possible???

2. Measure comand.
    It is very good, and works well (shift select).
    However, we feel it would be even nicer to have a pick box to allow the selection of say arc centre, midpoint and endpoint (of line).
    Again, more as per a cad system.
    Perhaps even a facility to add dimensions? On a seperate layer?
    Don't know... just thought of the dimension adding as I was typing.....

Keep up the excellent work.
    Cheers,
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry,

1. I have seen CAD programs that zoom this way. I'll add this request to the list.

2. I have the start of this. If you press "M" while the view is active you can pick two points to measure between. Right now it will only allow you to select end points, I would have to allow selecting other points as well (center, mid, intesection, etc..)

Thanks,
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast