hinged molds

Thread: hinged molds

Downloads
    Uploads

Default hinged molds

I am a wood turner and I have a customer who wants some molds for glass blowing. They will be about 18" in diameter and 12" deep. They will be turned from fresh cut maple and then cut in half and hinged. The turning part is no big deal. The first one I did I used a standard door hindge an it has too much play. What king of hindges are used on metal casting milds and where do I buy them?
    I do not need the quality fit of metal molds but better than the door hindge provides. The process is interesting. The glass is blown into the mold and the steam actualy prevents the glass from touching the wood and as the glass cools it shrinks and the blower starts spining it to prevent pockets of steam from acumulating and distorting the glass. Once the glass has reached a solid state the mold is opened.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Tapered Pins.

Put tapered alignment pins/pegs on the molds.
    Assemble perfectly alligned.
    Fit the standard cheap hinges with CSK screws.
    Now it is perfectly aligned when closed.
    As long as the glass shrinks more than the slop in the hinges everything should clear.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Art,
    If "fresh cut" means right from the log, aren't you worried about wood movement or cracking as it dries? Maybe the glass blower will keep it in water, but I still think it will go oval. Can you just swage the knuckles a bit to tighten the hinge? If you look at some cheap hinges they take a center punch to the knuckle to tighten it to the pin.

Downloads
    Uploads

molds are always keep in water to prevent warpage and keep at 100% moisture content. Steam is esential to keep the wood from burning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do a lot of glass molds, for the last 9 years, for roof tiles to cups, chandeliers, You name it. Atlantis is one of my clients here in Portugal, and I have lots of models in 3d if you are interested to study them I'm pleased to post some here.
    Press molds, centrifufal molds, wooden, stainless steel, Iron, aluminium, etc.
    You can see one of the bottles that I made at: http://www.toastwines.com/164907

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hinged molds-flute-1-jpg   hinged molds-tulipa-hdri2-jpg   hinged molds-licor-beir-o-jpg   hinged molds-licor-beir-o-model-jpg  

hinged molds-16232-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Art Ransom :

I spent a few minutes to make a draw to explain how we work with these molds.

If you need more advise feel free to contact me.
    The inges are those that we use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hinged molds-inge-gif   hinged molds-wood-mould-jpg