Buzz's Build Of Joe's Machine

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Buzz's Build Of Joe's Machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Buzz's Build Of Joe's Machine

I have been watching a lot of people build out Joe's machine over the last few months and I have decided to upgraded from my Solsyvia machine to Joe's machine.

As I already have a machine I am going to cut the parts my self. At present I am starting to break down all the drawings and determine what is what. I believe I have figured out all the plastic parts required.

Attached is a drawing of the plastic parts I believe I need (I will be modifing the router attachment to accomondate the dust collector). The T's mean the hole is to be threaded (normally with 1/4 threads).

Anyone see any issues or mistakes?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buzz's Build Of Joe's Machine-plastic-parts-review-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good Buzz, welcome to the club!

One thing and it may just be my viewing of your drawing but your router pieces look pretty close together as compared to the spacing with the other parts. Also the motor mounts are taped for 10-24 threads at the motor end.

What's the overall dimensions of the material you'll be cutting from?

Look forward to seeing your progress! Post often, everyone likes pictures!

Downloads
    Uploads

the file looks correct, except for the portion i maked in yellow, if you tap these 4 holes this will allow the tool holder to go all the way through the Router rear plate and bolt into the Z-Axis bearing block adding an additional 4 places for bolting it together in additon to the 4 outer bolts.

Looking forward to seeing it cut out and built

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buzz's Build Of Joe's Machine-plastic-20parts-20review-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

ccsparky, the router mounts and 1/2 pieces have not been aligned for cutting out for two reasons 1/2 pieces will be moved to a different drawing layout, and the router head need to be redone to accomondate the tool changer stuff and 4.5 Dust collector hose. If anyone has the plans for the z axis head with the 4.5 Dust collector hose and preparing for the Tool Changer (I allready have the attachment for the router).

The maximum size I can machine is 21.5 * 32.25 the machine area is smaller than this, still working the layout of all the parts to fit nicely in this area.

Joe

Thanks for the advice on tapping, I will implement this change.

Machining will probably not begin for a while as I figure everything out in my head first. For sure I will be posting pictures... as I did for the last machine.

www.cncmachine.phillipsfamily.ca

Downloads
    Uploads

The router mounts are usually 0.75" to help prevent flexing of the router when plunging.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Joe. That was my understanding on the router plate thinknesses. I just checked the router mount side to make sure of the grove sized and they are at .79". Is the additional width of the slot for the router plates of.04" there for a reason, I would figure you want a very tight fit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz9075 View Post
    Thanks Joe. That was my understanding on the router plate thinknesses. I just checked the router mount side to make sure of the grove sized and they are at .79". Is the additional width of the slot for the router plates of.04" there for a reason, I would figure you want a very tight fit.
    If you have purchased material from different sourses, in HDPE and as well as MDF you will find out that not all are the same, in thichness, i learned my leson on this with the groves in the Z-Axis carriage. Even from the same place i.e. Hpme Depot they have different sizes in MDF.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Joe, good point. I will make sure to setup for the size of the MDF I purchase.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also another note, on the Motor support walls the small 0.125 dia. circles are my nick marks i make at 0.02-3" so when i drill the holes in the ends i have a mark to line up with.

When you start cutting the parts you will see how much time it takes to make them, I do it in my spare time, but still takes a while to do them.

Joe

Last edited by joecnc2006; 02-21-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, thanks. I was actually wondering what those hole were for, checked out other photos of them from packages and full builds and did not see any holes. Good idea

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started working at laying out the MDF parts and found a few parts are just a little longer than my machine can cut. Was wonder what tricks people are using to cut out the longer MDF parts, I know I can cut them in small pieces and join them together but I would prefer single pieces if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buzz, I cut my longer pieces in two on my cnc and then tacked the two pieces to a longer solid piece of mdf(or 1/4" plywood, hardwood, or whatever you have on hand). I then used this to pattern cut a master making one solid piece. After pattern cutting I made sure the length was correct and then I pattern cut the rest of the pieces from mdf by using this master. I hope this makes sense. This worked for me and I could cut the parts out faster by pattern cutting than I could with my cnc.

Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Doug0, but I am not understand this suggestion. I have never pattern cut before or even reviewed it for that matter. What tools do I use to patter cut? And how does the pattern cutting work, especially with the small slits? Is there somewhere I can read up on this method?

I have attached what I believe is the parts list required. Page one is the parts required to cut and the second one is the parts to buy. These are work in progress and comments are welcome.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

He is talking about splicing the pieces together and join them with a skin pice glued to the pieces, then use a trim router but which had a bearing on the end usually a 1/4" bit. The bearing will follow the pattern piece and cut the new material to match.

I would do it with the patern on top and the stock material on bottom and use a router table so the bearing is ontop and you will always have a vertical cut.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buzz's Build Of Joe's Machine-web1863big-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now I understand. Thanks. Looks all to easy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I understand. Thanks. Looks all to easy.
    Good, Now lets see some chips flying... LOL

seriously, hope it does work good for you. I really would like to know the difference in between my machine and the one you have build already.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow Flex Couplings

Hi Buzz,
    The plans for machine #2 seem to be well under way.

Your web site posted earlier (message #4) is an excellent record of the building of the first machine. Thanks for sharing.

Shipping & border brokerage for the Lovejoy couplings was certainly expensive!

Princess Auto (in your hometown I see) has a "flex coupling" that I have successfuly used to join servos to speed reducers. They might be worth checking, to save the extra costs.
    See Page 93 of their catalogue.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Princess Auto is one of my Favorite stores... behind Home Depot and Busy Bee. I will drop by this week and see what they got. I was not looking forward to paying the duty to get more of them across the boarder... all the other companies are fine with shipping USPS. But having $20US turn into about $70CDN is not nice. By chance do you have a part number I can reference.

Downloads
    Uploads

By chance do you have a part number I can reference.
    Click the catalaoge link added in post #17 above.
    They have several sizes & part numbers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dooohhhh ... Sorry I did not see the last line. Wow that is great they got exactly what I want.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast