Manual thread turning handle

Thread: Manual thread turning handle

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Manual thread turning handle

I turned my first threads yesterday and had a hard time, I was told by a buddy to turn them by hand and that some people adapt handles to the spindle. Today I made an adapter for just that:
    here are some dimentions.

Here is the actual part:

I made mine out of delrin because I have an abundance of it and its easy to machine. When I finished I remembered that delrin is self lubricating and to hope it wouldnt slip. luckily I measured wrong and was off by about .03" so I just wrapped electrical tape around it and it works great!
    The threads are 5/16 18 because thats the nut size I had laying around. The handle came off of my mill. I won't be using it anymore as I have steppers in place of it
    I would almost suggest using aluminum or some other material that may grab by itself.

I havent used it yet, I am looking forward to trying it out.

Jon

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by JFettig; 03-01-2004 at 10:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work Jon,
    That should work much better then new.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work - I'm sure you priced comprable quality wheels? Have you thought of making and selling some? I know a few 'zone members might be interested at the right price. You could offload some of the extra delrin lying around!
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanx,
    Actually I havent checked into it at all, do they make these for lathes or is it just a few of us here and there?

I dont have enough hand wheels, I would have to get some other wheels, I want to keep mine for some reason I might need them.

If you would shoot me a PM with some info, I would be very thankful.

Jon

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it ended up being a complete dud and I ended up spending like 3+hrs turning 1" of 5/8-18 in steel by cranking on the chuck

I think Ill design something else to reduce the gear ratio or something to make it easy to turn.

Jon