Example: Making a fan cover

Thread: Example: Making a fan cover

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Example: Making a fan cover

Why buy a fan cover for a few pennies when you can spend hours and hours designing and cutting one at home? The cover is approximately 8.5 x 4.5" made from 1/4" aluminum using 1/2" and 1/8" endmills. The pocketing took a lot longer than I expected but I was only taking 1/16" deep cuts with the 1/8" end mill. A 3/16 end mill could have been used for the pockets except for the flats at the bottom of the outer circles.

Tried out a Noga mister with Kool Mist - been really pretty happy with it especially when contouring with 1/2 end mills - the chips are insanely hot but the end mill finishes cold.

I would be really interesting to hear how long others think this should take. It took me 4 hrs though I ran the 1/8 end mill a little slow (3-4ipm) and shallow (1/16") (only going to make one of these and did not want to break the end mill in the middle). Seems like 2hrs should be doable. This was the first part that I turned the lights off and walked away.

BTW: Are the members of this forum interested in seeing what others are making with their IH mills? I don't want to make noise in the forum if there is no interest.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Your lead statement pretty much sums up what this hobby is all about. Those hours and hours are pure bliss. The cover looks great and one that could not be bought anywhere in the world. Congrats on a great fan cover.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice job! Always like to see what people come up with.

--97T--

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work. I also enjoy seeing what people make with their mills.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea
    Its great to see what other people are making
    Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work, wildcat.

Are you running the stock motor, 1500 rpm?

My copy of ME Consultant Pro says your feedrate ought to be 1.877 IPM for a 1/8" end mill @ 1500 rpm in aluminum, so I'm not sure you can pick up the speed much. That would be with a 3 flute endmill. Did you run 2, 3, or 4 flutes?

That 1500 rpm seems like the limiting factor on these mills for aluminum, especially with a small cutter. If you got the bigger motor, you can run 3000 rpm and the feed ups to 3.753 IPM.

Again, nice work, and yes, I like to see what people have made very much. Please tell us how you do it as well.

Best,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob - Thanks for the kind words. I replaced the motor a while back and the chips really fly. Now, just waiting for you to make your plans available I have been using the two flute Putnam end mills for aluminum from Enco. Many of the cheaper endmills have already been broken Does your software give a suggestion on the depth the endmill should cut while pocketing? I have been is using 1/2 diameter depth for the small end mills. The main reason I made the fan cover was to vent the CNC control cabinet which gets REALLY hot.

I checked with some guys at work how long the Stratus 3D printer would take to make this part. Their software estimated over 5 hours so 4 hours is not too bad. FWIW: To make the part with the Stratus would cost about $33. With 1/4" Al it was $18 including the fixture plate. We checked http://www.xpress3d.com/ as well and the range for rapid prototypes was between $160-$350.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Bob - Thanks for the kind words. I replaced the motor a while back and the chips really fly. Now, just waiting for you to make your plans available I have been using the two flute Putnam end mills for aluminum from Enco. Many of the cheaper endmills have already been broken Does your software give a suggestion on the depth the endmill should cut while pocketing? I have been is using 1/2 diameter depth for the small end mills. The main reason I made the fan cover was to vent the CNC control cabinet which gets REALLY hot.

I checked with some guys at work how long the Stratus 3D printer would take to make this part. Their software estimated over 5 hours so 4 hours is not too bad. FWIW: To make the part with the Stratus would cost about $33. With 1/4" Al it was $18 including the fixture plate. We checked http://www.xpress3d.com/ as well and the range for rapid prototypes was between $160-$350.

It quotes 0.100" depth of cut. YMMV.

BTW, I highly recommend the software. It's called ME Consultant Pro. The author regularly posts over on PM and many of those guys swear by it. It isn't that costly.

Best,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Yea
    Its great to see what other people are making
    Randy
    Great? Work like Wildcat's get me so motivationaly? excited my heart rate goes up, REALLY. I can't wait to get out of the office and get back to the real work of learning how to make stuff. ;-) Oh well, back to work.

in order to learn... not save money.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes very nice! not only the pictures but also the xplenations are appreciated. i for one did not realize
    it would take 4 hrs for a job of that size and being a newbie to all of this greatly appreciate it. the more the better,nice job!