Need Help! Need some ideas on how to machine this part please

Thread: Need some ideas on how to machine this part please

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need some ideas on how to machine this part please

Hello everyone,

I have not done much 3D in RhinoCAM and my wife has asked me to make her a small frame.
    I constructed the model of it, got an approval and now I need to make it.

I decided to machine each other 4 side separately and profile them to a crisp 90 angle and then glue them together.
    I am at a loss on how to machine the top slanting face below. If I can please get some help I would appreciate it.

The entire part is 0.25 tall. The length of the part is 5.5". Its a very small frame for one of her craft projects.
    Thank you

PS: IGES file attached.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need some ideas on how to machine this part please

If it were me, I wouldn't bother trying to machine the miters; I'd just machine it straight and cut those later with a saw. You never get a very good cut routing wood against the grain like that. If your machine is big enough, you can probably cut all 4 pieces at once. In any case, it's good to leave something at the ends to hold onto while you're routing on the middle. As for the slanted face (which I assume is on the underside in your illustration) I'd cut that in a separate 3D machining operation, using a ball-end endmill so as not to get the "stairstepping" you'd get with a flat-end endmill.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Downloads
    Uploads

actually the bottom is flat. the slant is the top part. I see where the confusion is : I chose a poor angle to post.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe make a slanted part below to match the angle, then just cut normally.

:) Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Downloads
    Uploads

There is not slanted part below. The only face that is slanted in the one that is selected. (curves).
    everything else is orthogonal.

I attached the file in hope some can look at it and help me figure it out. I am not sure what operation to use. I have tried to use a horizontal finishing on the slant with a ball end but the curves seem to limit the cutter. Its almost as if I need a "facing" operation on 3 sides at an angle.

There is a "Projected pocketing" But doesn't seems to clean it up properly. Let me play with it a bit and I will report. I think I just need to add some "clearance planes" and just extend the face I want to mill.

PS: What is the rule of thumb is any when choosing a 0.25" ball end versus 0.125" etc?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    There is not slanted part below. The only face that is slanted in the one that is selected. (curves).
    everything else is orthogonal.

I attached the file in hope some can look at it and help me figure it out. I am not sure what operation to use. I have tried to use a horizontal finishing on the slant with a ball end but the curves seem to limit the cutter. Its almost as if I need a "facing" operation on 3 sides at an angle.

There is a "Projected pocketing" But doesn't seems to clean it up properly. Let me play with it a bit and I will report. I think I just need to add some "clearance planes" and just extend the face I want to mill.

PS: What is the rule of thumb is any when choosing a 0.25" ball end versus 0.125" etc?
    What I meant was to add a slanted part below, like this: (The part being the red one)
    Need some ideas on how to machine this part please-slanted-jpg

That way the surface would be easy to machine.

:) Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Downloads
    Uploads

oh I see.. good idea.
    I found the at least in the simulation, a 3d projected pocket works. I will have to try physically.