Used the machine first time in a while...

Thread: Used the machine first time in a while...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Used the machine first time in a while...

We are having a "pinewood derby"-like event at work in celebration of the Indy 500 (I work in Indianapolis). We are required to use the traditional Boy Scout pine block, but can do "anything" with it. Judging is totally NOT like a pinewood derby. There is no speed race, instead it is an accuracy race. Cars will be sent down a tilted table. If they pass through an 8" gate they get 100 points. If they go off the end of the table not through the gate 50 points, if they go off the side 25 points. In addition judging will be done on "creativity" and on popular choice.

I designed the car in SolidWorks using this image:

Used the machine first time in a while...-10944118_2013_will_power_indycarol-jpg

So, I used the Mikini to make a 2013-spec Indy 500 Derby Car.

The car was done in three setups - left side, then right side, then to side. Each side was tooled with a 1/2" roughing bit, then a 3/8" semi-finish ball end mill, then a 1/8" finish ball end mill - all for one side, then on to the next side.

Here's the left side after the semi-finish pass:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2231-vi-jpg

Left side after finish pass:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2232-vi-jpg

Top (last side) after finish pass:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2234-vi-jpg

I did a few practice parts, the white painted one on the left was a practice, on the right is the "final" one. You can see the "core" wood is different from the end of the side pods. The core is an official "BSA" pine wood block:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2236-vi-jpg

Unfortunately I had to leave on a business trip after this stage, so the rest of my "team" is finishing the car. We are using pieces of our product to finish out the car (front and rear wing, steering wheel, etc), the head of a Lego guy for the driver. I also made an axle assembly with bearings so it is straight axle front and rear (rather than independant "freewheel" that may go off course). I'll follow up later with pix of the final car. The race is on Monday - wish me luck!

Similar Threads:
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    We are having a "pinewood derby"-like event at work in celebration of the Indy 500 (I work in Indianapolis). We are required to use the traditional Boy Scout pine block, but can do "anything" with it. Judging is totally NOT like a pinewood derby. There is no speed race, instead it is an accuracy race. Cars will be sent down a tilted table. If they pass through an 8" gate they get 100 points. If they go off the end of the table not through the gate 50 points, if they go off the side 25 points. In addition judging will be done on "creativity" and on popular choice.

I designed the car in SolidWorks using this image:

Used the machine first time in a while...-10944118_2013_will_power_indycarol-jpg

So, I used the Mikini to make a 2013-spec Indy 500 Derby Car.

The car was done in three setups - left side, then right side, then to side. Each side was tooled with a 1/2" roughing bit, then a 3/8" semi-finish ball end mill, then a 1/8" finish ball end mill - all for one side, then on to the next side.

Here's the left side after the semi-finish pass:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2231-vi-jpg

Left side after finish pass:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2232-vi-jpg

Top (last side) after finish pass:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2234-vi-jpg

I did a few practice parts, the white painted one on the left was a practice, on the right is the "final" one. You can see the "core" wood is different from the end of the side pods. The core is an official "BSA" pine wood block:

Used the machine first time in a while...-cimg2236-vi-jpg

Unfortunately I had to leave on a business trip after this stage, so the rest of my "team" is finishing the car. We are using pieces of our product to finish out the car (front and rear wing, steering wheel, etc), the head of a Lego guy for the driver. I also made an axle assembly with bearings so it is straight axle front and rear (rather than independant "freewheel" that may go off course). I'll follow up later with pix of the final car. The race is on Monday - wish me luck!
    Cool! I want to make one for my son,

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads

A ton more pix here if anyone is interested in seeing them. I have video too, but don't have the bandwidth to upload from here...

PDS 500 album | mcphill | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Downloads
    Uploads

You know I have to ask. Did the spindle ever stall when cutting that pine? Hehe

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope, it actually cut fine... And better still - WE WON! Only car to make it through the end gate (out of 20 runs, 2 per car, our car made it once). Took the judges "Best Concept" as well. Didn't get the "crowd favorite" but that went to the car with the most team members present...

Last edited by mcphill; 05-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.