My large 3d printer i built

Thread: My large 3d printer i built

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

It is an impressive-looking machine. What's the build envelope? Is it basically an ABS extruder that uses filament? Any other refinements over a standard Maker-bot? Did it print the colors on that Yoda head, or did you paint it afterwards? Any other touch-up sanding and filling?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The build envelope is 17 x 14 x 14 Yoda is painted ABS first I gave it a quick acetone wash and then about five minutes of sanding the paints are stuff I had laying around here are some pics of extruder it uses filament and is of my design ucket.com/user/richard_nelson1/media/DSCN0027_zps9a3f288a.jpg.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default penny bottle opener

Penney bottle opener this one has been in my pocket a long time but shows print no dip or sanding

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Might need to up the size of those turnbuckles. Not quite sure they will be strong enough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Turnbuckle

And yes they are large but they cost $7.50 each on eBay and contrary to your belief they have to be strong they act in both compression and tensile have you built the 3-D printer yet if so show us in fact show us what you've built

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice Work!

I see that you are using lead/ball screws for your table drives. Has that worked well for you? The smaller machines I have seen use a simple belt instead. The lead or ball screw seems like it should be more accurate. Is that accuarcy needed? Do you get adequate rapid traverse rates for not printing moves?

Thanks,
    BobH

Downloads
    Uploads

That's one beefy printer. Upgrade the mount and it could handle a Chinese spindle and work as a router. I estimate between $2700 and $3000 investment.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=bharbour;1309224]I see that you are using lead/ball screws for your table drives. Has that worked well for you? The smaller machines I have seen use a simple belt instead. The lead or ball screw seems like it should be more accurate. Is that accuarcy needed? Do you get adequate rapid traverse rates for not printing moves?

Yes it's working great they are nice ground ballscrews I got off eBay if I remember right $65 a piece print speeds right around 60 mm a second Rapids 250 mm a second the lead of the screw is .625 inch should be a link to my Facebook in this post take a look for video if not Google large scale repstrap should be able to find a couple videos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Analias;1309238]That's one beefy printer. Upgrade the mount and it could handle a Chinese spindle and work as a router. I estimate between $2700 and $3000 investment.

I'm one of those guys that always looks on eBay if I see a deal on 8020 aluminum flat stock ballscrews linear ways motors I bid on them most of the parts and aluminum on machine I've had probably for five or six years like all of the aluminum plate that you see on the machine a buddy of mine got a deal clearing out an old business five years ago came by the house one day on the way to the scrap yard and he had a skid piled up with 2' x 4' aluminum 6061 jig plate I bought it for scrap price at the time under 200 so I've always got aluminum linear ways and stuff in my stock I estimate less than 2000 I have already built a large router and I'm working on a little three axis mill now

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dick cnc View Post
    And yes they are large but they cost $7.50 each on eBay and contrary to your belief they have to be strong they act in both compression and tensile have you built the 3-D printer yet if so show us in fact show us what you've built
    Pretty sure his turnbuckle comment was sarcasm.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bharbour View Post
    I see that you are using lead/ball screws for your table drives. Has that worked well for you? The smaller machines I have seen use a simple belt instead. The lead or ball screw seems like it should be more accurate. Is that accuarcy needed? Do you get adequate rapid traverse rates for not printing moves?

Thanks,
    BobH
    lead screws are working out great you need to have a high lead mine are .625 inch per turn printing speeds from 50 mm a second to120 mm a second Rapids 250 mm a second