How Important is the Re-Machining Feature?

Thread: How Important is the Re-Machining Feature?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How Important is the Re-Machining Feature?

I have no need for 5-axis software, but I see where Madcam 5 only adds re-maching to it's 5-axis package (at twice the cost of the 4-axis package).

Based on that, is re-machining something that isn't considered as useful with 4-axis machines as it is with 5-axis machines?

Similar Threads:

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Remachining makes your life easier if you work with complex objects. The concept is to find areas such as corners and radius where the previous (bigger) cutter didn't make it all the way in and then (re)machine those areas only.
    You can more or less do the same thing by using regions and force the second cutter to run where there should be material left. It's not automatic and you probably cut some air too, but it works if you're satisfied with a bit longer less effective programs and a longer working process in Rhino.

Is money an issue? Go 4X license
    Is money not an issue? Well...

Hope that helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your explanation is exactly what my preconception was about it, so that helps a lot. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I want to add one thing. Part of the re-machining functionality is re-roughing. What this does is allow you to start with your largest cutter, rough as much as that will allow you. Then go to a smaller cutter, and madCAM will automatically find the areas that the larger cutter couldn't reach. Yes, I suppose with enough effort and time you could do this manually, but who has that kind of time?? And if you make a mistake and miss an area, you are probably going to do some damage. In my opinion, if you do 3D work, the re-machining will easily pay for itself.

This may sound like a repeat of Sven's comment, but I wanted to specifically relate this to roughing.

Dan

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    This may sound like a repeat of Sven's comment, but I wanted to specifically relate this to roughing.

Dan
    (Still basing this off my pre-conception and svenakela's explanation plus yours)...

Sure, but I and many others have ATC systems with large tool racks (8 to 10 ten typical), so carving any 3D object often means using two or more tools to do the job based upon angle changes and corner radii anyway. We can typically take care of anything that might be called "remachining" on our last, finish pass.
    In other words, that means that you're going to come back and "re-machine" some areas anyway on the finish pass.
    To extend that thought, I do see re-machining as being sort of important when cutting metals but not so much with woods and composites and plastics.

I do see it's convenience and time-saving component even in woods etc., and for that reason, I think it should be included at least in the 4X and higher versions of Madcam, but it's not shown to be included in the 4X Madcam ver. 5 this time around.
    It actually is included in the current 4X Madcam 4.3, but the feature chart on the website indicates that it has been dropped from the equivilant 4X software when you go to ver. 5.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I agree with you Dan. If a person is going to work a lot with hard materials such as steel and stronger alu, it's a uge time saver to have re-machining and probably saves tools too.
    Cutting wood, foam or plastics (or soft alu), not needed really.

I love it though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I was thinking of harder materials when I made that comment about re-roughing.

Dan

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How Important is the Re-Machining Feature?

In madCAM 6, how does re-roughing know what cutter was previously used? Re-machining z-level, planar and pencil all ask for the previous cutter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How Important is the Re-Machining Feature?

Ah. The documentation has revealed to me that re-roughing bases its idea of the previous cutter on the visible toolpaths.