Surfaces

Thread: Surfaces

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Surfaces

Hi

Is there a way to sew or knit surfaces 2 or more surfaces to create 1 surface
    from that?

Thank You

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can use edit-join, but it sometimes alters the surfaces in a bad way so save before you try. How complex are these surfaces? If you pm me the file I could tell you more. sometimes you can use the wireframe to create a new surface in place of two.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No Undo

IMPORTANT--- There is no undo for join. I have gotten burned by this a couple of times. If you are joining many entities make sure that you save often.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdlmkr
    IMPORTANT--- There is no undo for join. I have gotten burned by this a couple of times. If you are joining many entities make sure that you save often.
    Another technique I use is to copy the surfaces you want to work on to another layer, then you can edit and not worry about it.

I do this often when I want to finish a non-planar surface that has a hole, but I want to keep the cutter from "diving" into the hole. I just copy the surface to its own layer, untrim it, and the hole goes away, then retrim back to the original outside edge wire frame. Layers are your friend!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that the lack of "undo" in surfcam is one of it's weak spots. I think it wastes a lot of time to have to deal with saving and copying to another layer, etc.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by championp
    I think that the lack of "undo" in surfcam is one of it's weak spots. I think it wastes a lot of time to have to deal with saving and copying to another layer, etc.

Chris
    That's been one of my complaints for years too. Why not a global undo that lets you undo/re-do everything you've done in a whole session? Before Solidworks became the modeler for Surfcam, there was Surfcam Solids, which would let you do just that! There is an undo function for a lot of actions, but it's not global. My Surfcam rep. told me undo has been written in for some time, but Surfware hasn't turned it on.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know that it not true. The issue with Surfcam and undo is deeper than that. Surfcam was written in DOS, long before Windows existed. "Undo" is a feature that is linked to windows and its applications. I have spoke to the Surfcam main office about this issue and they told me that they are working on implementing it. In the mean time, I guess I just wont make any mistakes. .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdlmkr
    I know that it not true. The issue with Surfcam and undo is deeper than that. Surfcam was written in DOS, long before Windows existed. "Undo" is a feature that is linked to windows and its applications. I have spoke to the Surfcam main office about this issue and they told me that they are working on implementing it. In the mean time, I guess I just wont make any mistakes. .
    Well, they should get it implemented as far as I'm concerned. Folks have been complaining about it for a long time. That said, I still think Surfcam is a great piece of software, and getting better. I'm anxious to see how TrueMill and Step Reduction Milling work together. That'll be something!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I imagine, for z-rough, it would take z slices of the part and create a different velocity pocket for each depth. So theoretically, you can do this already if you have the time and desire. Has anyone used the feature save z slices to layer ?

SRM never does quite what I want, unless it is on a part with a boss on top. I assume combining velocity and SRM would be a z rough cycle followed by a z finish and rest machining with stock to leave? We can do this already using the method I described above (theoretically). I work the night shift, maybe I'll get a chance to try this and post about it tomorrow.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried it. It does work pretty good. The way that I did it was I created trim planes at all the Z levels I wanted to cut. Then I created surface intersect splines where the trim plane and the part met. I used those splines as boundries for the truemill path. Then I use trumill reference to clean up the corners.

This is a pain in the neck. I hope they put this in soon!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default undo

Lots of times when you want to undo you can click delete undelete and it will bring back the element in its previous state then you can delete the trimmed screwed up one away. It will not always take care of it but sometimes it does work. Hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Create that surface as one

I use surfcam for some nasty parts the best way to get those surfaces together is not to join them it moves and alters them way to much. The best way is to create a spline thru the wire frame boundaries and then go to create, surfaces, DRIVE SURFACE that will let you pic what contour along what shape you would like your suface and where you want them to attach that will then create one big surface that you will be able to then do a 3axis cut on. Let me know if you need any help with it would be happy to show you. ALSO if you go to join surfaces and get burned there is a way to UNDO that. People learn the software before you go saying it can't do something that is how it gets a bad name. Let me know if you want to know where the UNDO BUTTON is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok smarty pants, where is the undo button for joining surfaces? What version are you using? I’m using the latest build available and there is no undo button on my screen. If Surfcam has a bad name, it’s because of a lack of effort on their part, not ours.

BTW, you’re responding to a one year old post. However, the problem still exists.

A Surfcam user for 11 years.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to know where the undo button is

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alright Listen up

Now here we go there is no actual undo button. What you use is the delete button. Say you go and two surfaces and they kind of bow and go crazy. What you do is go and delete the surface then go up and hit undelete last, it will bring back that surface. Then hit undelete button again and again if there were two surfaces to begin with. Then go in after you hit it three times or however many times you did and delete the surface with the bad results. If you did it right you will then be left with the surfaces in the state they were in before you tried to join them. Then you can try again That works on most things like lines splines pretty much anything i have tried i get back by useing the undelete button. So there you go boys. let me know if it works.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Let me know if you want to know where the UNDO BUTTON is."

Look around this forum a little, most of us already knew that. In fact, look at the post right above your first post in this topic.

Thanks for being cocky about it though, we are all impressed.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is sorta of an undo when joining surfaces or even editing tangency fails. Try undelete last the surfaces or splines prior to join or edit tangency will come back, if you use this edit the color of the messed up surfaces so you can see the original and delete the bad join etc.