Thread: Lead nut question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lead nut question

Hello Guys,
    Do you know how to create lead nut ?
    DIY lead nut ?
    I saw cylinder nut, but not sure it will stay there even I clamp and glue it...
    any ideas ?

thanks a lot

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bianchi View Post
    Hello Guys,
    Do you know how to create lead nut ?
    DIY lead nut ?
    I saw cylinder nut, but not sure it will stay there even I clamp and glue it...
    any ideas ?

thanks a lot
    What kind of screw is it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OCNC View Post
    What kind of screw is it?
    I'm using long rod screw, I want to use hex nut as a lead sticking to x,y,z plate,
    I created prototype with balsa wood, hex nut and hot glue, as in the photo...
    I can make a clamp with nail screw on it..so the hex screw will be anchored into the plate

Any more ideas ?

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

any ideas on how to drill the screw so I can attach the shaft of my stepper motor ?
    special drill bit ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

You need to look into couplings to connect your motors to your shafts. There are many varieties, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. They range from a small (1" or so) piece of flexible tubing clamped on each shaft to precision couplings that may run MANY dollars.
    Many are available that will connect differing sized shafts conveniently.

I'd suggest looking at some of the common CNC suppliers mentioned on here such as CNCRouterParts.com or HobbyCNC.com for your hardware needs. You'll find there's many, many ways to do things.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using long rod screw, I want to use hex nut as a lead sticking to x,y,z plate,
    I created prototype with balsa wood, hex nut and hot glue, as in the photo...
    I can make a clamp with nail screw on it..so the hex screw will be anchored into the plate

Any more ideas ?

Thanks

I don't think using a steel nut is a leadnut is a good idea. There will be a lot of backlash that will continually get worse as the metal on metal causes wear. You can make leadnuts from cheap HDPE if you have access to a tap. You can even make a tap from a spare piece of threaded rod or you can use the melting technique to make leadnuts.

If you must use a steel nut you won't need any glue. You can drill a hole slightly smaller than the external nut size and screw the nut into the wood. Use a large washer on the other side to prevent both sides from embedding into the hole.

Hope that makes sense.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Groove View Post
    You need to look into couplings to connect your motors to your shafts. There are many varieties, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. They range from a small (1" or so) piece of flexible tubing clamped on each shaft to precision couplings that may run MANY dollars.
    Many are available that will connect differing sized shafts conveniently.

I'd suggest looking at some of the common CNC suppliers mentioned on here such as CNCRouterParts.com or HobbyCNC.com for your hardware needs. You'll find there's many, many ways to do things.

do you have photo for this coupling method?

Downloads
    Uploads

A search for "lovejoy couplers" on google images returns many good examples

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    I don't think using a steel nut is a leadnut is a good idea. There will be a lot of backlash that will continually get worse as the metal on metal causes wear. You can make leadnuts from cheap HDPE if you have access to a tap. You can even make a tap from a spare piece of threaded rod or you can use the melting technique to make leadnuts.

If you must use a steel nut you won't need any glue. You can drill a hole slightly smaller than the external nut size and screw the nut into the wood. Use a large washer on the other side to prevent both sides from embedding into the hole.

Hope that makes sense.
    do you have HDPE photo example ? thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A search for "lovejoy couplers" on google images returns many good examples
    with coupling is not 1:1 rotation to motor isn't it ?
    and how to connect the lead screw with sprocket ? since it's threaded rod ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hope that makes sense.
    Like this one :

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like this one :
    If you take two nuts like that and sandwich an O-ring between them and put them on the threaded rod you can remove any play by turning them slightly against each other to compress the O-ring. This will eliminate backlash. Then drill an oversize hole in a small block of wood and secure both of them (while still on the rod) in the hole using some epoxy. This will lock them together relative to each other and the fixing block. The assembly then becomes a lead nut and support block that can be mounted to the machine as required.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OCNC View Post
    If you take two nuts like that and sandwich an O-ring between them and put them on the threaded rod you can remove any play by turning them slightly against each other to compress the O-ring. This will eliminate backlash. Then drill an oversize hole in a small block of wood and secure both of them (while still on the rod) in the hole using some epoxy. This will lock them together relative to each other and the fixing block. The assembly then becomes a lead nut and support block that can be mounted to the machine as required.

Chris
    should I put super glue between : nut -> O-ring -> nut before I compress them together?
    I got the idea on how to connect stepper and threaded rod, with coupler,

Is this one the same with lead nut ?

From the name I saw : Linear Ball Bearing Slide , is it the same with lead nut ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

should I put super glue between : nut -> O-ring -> nut before I compress them together?
    I got the idea on how to connect stepper and threaded rod, with coupler,

Is this one the same with lead nut ?

From the name I saw : Linear Ball Bearing Slide , is it the same with lead nut or this one is the slider?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I use 5mm coupler, I should use exactly 5mm threaded rod too ?