Mistbuster

Thread: Mistbuster

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mistbuster

anyone use the Mistbuster 500 or other similar product to keep coolant mist from fogging a room? we have long cycles and the mist builds up noticably in the room after a long run. we are using Blasocut 4000 strong coolant at about 5 to 7 percent.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have dealt with both Mistbuster and Royal's, A lot depends on your application. What type of machine are you using? Is the mist coming out constant or just when you end cycle and open a door? The Mistbuster we used has a drier type flex hose and can collect coolant where the Royal was a direct mount. Again a lot stems on your application.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The machine shop I worked at used mistbusters on most of their high-speed machines. We used blaser coolant too, not sure which line though.

Other then needing periodic cleaning they worked fine. Though we did still have high humidity/haze in the building, it wasnt anywhere near as bad as it used to be.

Though we had some cycles where the mist inside the enclosure would be so bad that on certain days (temps/humidities) a machine would throw up a laser tool check error after the roughing cycle. Though that was a 1" 2 flute at 20,000 RPM and 1000 IPM.

We had our programmers add a 20 second pause, and open the ATC door before they checked the tool for that part of the cycle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ConKbot of Doom View Post
    The machine shop I worked at used mistbusters on most of their high-speed machines...

Other then needing periodic cleaning they worked fine. Though we did still have high humidity/haze in the building, it wasnt anywhere near as bad as it used to be......
    I had wondered about the efficiency of the individual units. We have central system using large filter bags that coalesce the mist and let the oily residue drip out the bottom into a tank. The exhaust discharges back into the shop. Since putting this system in we have no haze, no smell and no sticky film over everything.

The company that makes the system is called Aercology. The cost of the fan/filter unit was about $5000 and installing all the ductwork $7500, or somewhere around that, but this is to serve 15 machines so the cost per machine was less than a thousand.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the late post, it seems this thread is kind of old...

Efficiency for individual units in the MistBuster series has a lot to do with the size of the enclosure on the machine tool, cycle times, type of coolant used, and a few other things.

The MB 500 is designed for small enclosures (roughly 25 sq. ft.) that have more mist than smoke, and fairly quick cycle times. They are adjustable from 50-500 cfm, and you can use the rheostat on the front to adjust airflow inside the enclosure to set up the preferred negative pressure inside the enclosure.

Other models in the MistBuster series are for larger enclosures and different applications. The MB 850 is a double pass system with more airflow that is designed to use on heavier applications with either larger enclosures, or small enclosures with heavy mist and smoke loads (swiss applications). It's also set up to add an additional 3rd electrostatic cell for really tough applications.

The MB Quad is for the big applications... machining centers and machine tools with large enclosures.

With any electrostatic mist collector, maintenance is key. While you don't have to replace the filters, they do have to be washed on a pretty regular schedle to maintain their efficiency.

Dave
    www.industrial-clean-air.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I had wondered about the efficiency of the individual units. We have central system using large filter bags that coalesce the mist and let the oily residue drip out the bottom into a tank. The exhaust discharges back into the shop. Since putting this system in we have no haze, no smell and no sticky film over everything.

The company that makes the system is called Aercology. The cost of the fan/filter unit was about $5000 and installing all the ductwork $7500, or somewhere around that, but this is to serve 15 machines so the cost per machine was less than a thousand.
    As I was leaving they had some air filter units that they were installing sitting on the shipping dock... They had a blower motor and a roll of filter media. As the pressure difference would build, the filter unit would feed fresh filter media off the roll. I dont know how much it helped, we had to change the filter over our spindle chillers monthly before.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a Mistbuster 500 on my Tsugami BS20 and it kicks ass. I am running straight oil and if you turn it off mist spreads everywhere but once you turn it on it really sucks it up.