Mill Turn post processor for CNC lathe ?

Thread: Mill Turn post processor for CNC lathe ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mill Turn post processor for CNC lathe ?

Any recommendations for a hobby lathe post processor ?

This is a 2015 machine that has really never been used.
    It came with Mach 3 software which included LazyTurn post processor Alpha 1.1 version.
    ArcSoft / Newfangled Solutions hasn't support this older version of LazyCAM / LazyTurn for many years now.
    I have fiddled with the software for a few hours only to find it doesn't seem to function in the ways the manual describes.
    Selecting a .dxf path won't work nor does changing the parameters of any of the provided profiles included in the software.

Anyone have other thoughts on an alternative low cost lathe post processor ?

Thanks

Type M-CNC 9212
    Year 201501
    Serial #MS-0150003

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mill Turn post processor for CNC lathe ?

Do you have the fully licensed version of Mach 3? Those machines were supplied with the freeware version, so the lathe wizards do not work. Mach 3 is a good program, and the full license is not expensive. You can buy it from here-
    DMAUCH@SEANET.COM

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a person's name in the "Licensed to" dialog box so it is my assumption the original owner of the machine did purchase the full license.
    Technically, I'm the third owner but based on the condition of the machine I'm the first "user"
    Yesterday while tinkering with the LazyCAM portion of the software I was able to produce a simple gcode file so I know that part of the software functions.
    Also learned how the .dxf drawing is created is (probably) important to what happens in the post processor.
    The software is flipping the drawing as it imports so the next test is to create flipped and mirrored .dxf drawings to see what direction is needed to import in the correct way.

THX for your input.

Downloads
    Uploads

The lathe software is setup for running a front toolpost, so you may need to make some adjustments for a rear post-
    Go to the config file and look in turn options- there you can set your parameters for either radius or diameter increments and there is a box marked "reverse arc in front post" checking or unchecking will change the way you tool moves.

Downloads
    Uploads

instructor 37
    THX for your insight

Mach3 as a machine control is working fine for this MillTurn machine.
    Movements and velocities are tuned as well as needed for a hobby tool.
    LazyTurn and LazyCAM portion of the Mach3 software is a way different experience from any other code processor I've used in the past.
    Previous experience doing CAM processing in an industrial work environment includes :
    Mastercam
    Siemens NX
    Solidworks
    Vectrix
    For the project at hand it will be quicker to write gcode than continue to fool around with LazyTurn and LazyCAM.

THX

Downloads
    Uploads

With the help of this YouTube video I made some progress with the LazyCAM Wizards today :

Still struggling a bit with the tool table not updating the changes to the tool profiles.
    Next trick for this problem is deleting the tool and then remake instead of making small changes.

Still no joy with the LazyTurn part of the software.

Found 3 possible lathe post-processors to try ... tomorrow.
    Will share any findings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some other low cost lathe post processors :

https://www.mr-soft.net/en/index.html ... development stopped Jan 2020 ... says it works on Windows XP 32 bit which is what my MillTurn is running

https://www.grblgru.com/ ... 64 bit, doesn't work on the my MillTurn computer ... A long thread to reference here on CNC Zone

https://www.freecad.org/ ... has a lathe CAM addon ... 64 bit, Windows 7 and up ... I've have a laptop with FreeCAD but so far I can't get the addon to load

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone updated to Mach 4 on their MillTurn and if so how was the process ?
    Simple ? Complicated ?

THX