Threading on a Patriot Shopmaster - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Threading on a Patriot Shopmaster

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Threading on a Patriot Shopmaster

Holy crap that was an adventure but I finally got everything working and I don't even have to use the manual workaround that JT suggested. I did some more digging and found a plugin called turn diagnostics within Mach3 and I enabled it. When it got to the G76 canned cycle in the code the turn diagnostics told me #INF for all the variables. I googled this and found a few posts on the mach3 forums about this and do some more extensive digging on the forum and found a post stating that Mach3 wouldn't thread in demo mode so I checked and sure enough I hadn't copied over the license key to my new PC. I loaded up the license key and put everything back into Mach3 control mode and turned all 3 spindle functions (speed averagin, PID control, and feedback) ON and re-ran the program. Sure enough it started threading so I loaded up some stock, turned it down, swapped to my carbide threading tool and hit go. I need to tweak the passes as some of the passes it made were rather deep and probably too much for the machine to handle as the stock was flexing under load but it turned a M14x1.5 thread no problem.

I do find it kind of crazy the lack of support knowledge about these machines. It seemed like every time I called for tech support the answer was they would have to do some research to figure it out. Now that I know what the problem was this seems like it should have been shouting out what was wrong given all the details I had provided. Maybe not though, they claim the machines are all made different over in China so maybe a lack of communication between the manufacturer and the seller leads to a lack of troubleshooting knowledge.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad you sorted it out, and I'm sorry for not posting pics like I said I would.

Got pneumonia, so not feeling the best.

Threading on the Patriot actually works quite well once sorted out. I've done 8TPI with lots of passes, and some weird 3TPI square threads successfully - adapter for sodastream refilling.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you would have gotten a quick answer if you had just said " I'm trying to thread in demo mode" Sometimes a less detailed question will get you to the solution sooner.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem being that I didn't know it was in demo mode. I had to go through the process of getting a new working PC for Mach3 when the original PC that came with the machine crapped out (blown caps on the motherboard). Trying to get a 32-bit machine with either xp or 7 was a task and once I got the machine up and running I thought I had copied everything over but somehow the license file never made it. Still should be pretty clear with the "my machine goes to move to thread and then stops all of a sudden and waits" and the "#INF" in the turn diagnostics are both clear indicators of what was wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads

My Mach 3 has a message showing its a licensed version on screen. Seems like you would have noticed that being missing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12