ShopMaster Turnado Or Tormach Slant Bed Lathe

Thread: ShopMaster Turnado Or Tormach Slant Bed Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ShopMaster Turnado Or Tormach Slant Bed Lathe

I am considering purchasing one of these machines, PowerMaster Turnado or Tormach Slant Bed Lathe. I am only going to be using the machine for wood and plastic turning. I know I could use a manual woodworking lathe but injured my hand using one. I also want something that prevents chips from flying everywhere. Does anyone have either of these machines? Are there any advantages or disadvantages? The Tormach is twice the price but the quality of build seems to be better.

Anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area have one of these?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ShopMaster Turnado Or Tormach Slant Bed Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Pjblues1 View Post
    I am considering purchasing one of these machines, PowerMaster Turnado or Tormach Slant Bed Lathe. I am only going to be using the machine for wood and plastic turning. I know I could use a manual woodworking lathe but injured my hand using one. I also want something that prevents chips from flying everywhere. Does anyone have either of these machines? Are there any advantages or disadvantages? The Tormach is twice the price but the quality of build seems to be better.

Anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area have one of these?

Thanks.
    If your budget was 15-20K and you wanted to produce precision metal parts, then I would say the Tormach would be your choice. However, for woodworking you need certain features like a large swing for bowls and a long center distance with a tailstock for things like spindles and table legs etc. In this area the Turnado is the better choice- in fact I don't think the Tormach even offers a tailstock. The Turnado also comes in at around 5K, so you could buy 3 or 4 of them with that kind of budget. Why not go with a CNC wood lathe as in this video- it is specially made for woodworking and is about the same price as the Tormach.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Tormach Slant Bed lathe does offer a tailstock but it may limit the Z travel even more than it already is.

For the OP - what top of turning do you want to do? What's the largest OD and length you want to turn? How many tools do you expect to use in one job?

FWIW, the cover on the Turnado that is shown on their web site makes it look like a lot chips could escape through the gap; the Tormach lathe can be completely enclosed if you opt for the full enclosure.

Downloads
    Uploads

For a 5K budget go for the Turnado
    For a 15K budget go for the Laguna- a no compromise full blown CNC wood lathe.
    Chips- anyone who has ever worked in wood will tell you that they cannot be contained.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much. I called Laguna yesterday and inquired about the machine. It is fantastic. The only draw back is you cannot do a bowel on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Pjblues1 View Post
    Thanks so much. I called Laguna yesterday and inquired about the machine. It is fantastic. The only draw back is you cannot do a bowel on it.
    OUCH- the thought of a "bowel" on a lathe sends shivers down my spine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Turning bowls on a wood lathe is how I severally damaged my hand, and I was a good wood turner. Lose focus and things go very wrong.

So I turned a bowel on my CNC router this week, just to prove it could be done. I turned it in a vertical position using a 1/2" end mill. with 4.5" of flute length. I turned the outside first and then the inside, faced it off and it was done. It look awhile to do but it turned out great. So now I am thinking a metal lathe for small spindle turnings, etc.

Thanks everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lose focus and things go very wrong.
    This is the case with most woodworking tools.
    Don't pay attention, and you lose fingers.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)