QCTP on the Shoptask

Thread: QCTP on the Shoptask

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default QCTP on the Shoptask

I got tired of swapping around tool holders on the stock turret toolpost that comes with the Patriot, and wanted a true Quick Change toolpost. I picked up a BXA sized toolpost from Littlemachineshop.com. Here it is mounted on the base of the stock turret post:

QCTP on the Shoptask-finished-qctp-mount-3-jpg

To mount it, I cut out a 4" disc from some 3/8" plate I had laying around with a plasma cutter, using an oil filter wrench I had that was approximately 4" in diameter as a template. Once that was cut, I mounted the disc in the lathe chuck using the outside jaws, and drilled a 1/4" center hole. I then took a piece of round aluminum stock I had, and center-drilled the end of it and tapped the hole 1/4-20. I bolted the disc to the bar, chucked it back in the lathe, and turned the OD of the disc down to 4", to match the base of the turret post. I then cut a 2" hole in the center of the disc with a hole saw on the drill press, to fit over the center of the tool post base. Finally, I marked and drilled two 5/16" clearance holes on the disc, to accept the mounting bolts.

From there, I took the 5/8" square block that came with the new QCTP, and milled off about .200" from each side, to clear the two mounting nuts. After centering the block on the disc, I welded them together. The 5/8" block was already tapped for the QCTP mounting stud (the block comes with the QCTP, and you are supposed to mill a T nut from the block).

This combination of tool post base, disc, and block gives me just enough height to get the tools on-center. You can see the tool holder in the picture is close to it's maximum height. I may add another 1/2" - 5/8" block at some point - but for now, it's workable.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: QCTP on the Shoptask

Glad to see you do this. I'm getting ready to do the same to mine. Anything you'd do differently?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anything you'd do differently?
    Not really... at first, I tried to reuse the compound - but that didn't work out, because the QCTP sat way too high. And, with CNC, I don't really see much of a need for a compound, anyway. As I said, I might still add another 1/2" spacer below the tool post, just to give me a little more room to adjust the tools. But, as they are now, they're all on center, and can still go just a little bit lower, do I don't think that's really a necessity - not at this point, anyway.

My whole goal was to not permanently modify any of the stock gear, so I can always put it back - and that's been accomplished.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like it.
    What type of tool holder did you go for?

Piston or wedge type?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by julian wilson View Post
    I like it.
    What type of tool holder did you go for?

Piston or wedge type?
    It's a wedge... got it from here:
    Quick Change Tool Post Set, BXA - LittleMachineShop.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just can't seems to find the wedge type over here in Europe- only the piston type.

And the Yanks who have compared both seem to favour the wedge type.

I could import one, a little more expensive- but I'm most concerned about not being able to get additional holders in the future.
    Perhaps I should just get on with it and spend the money.

There is a bit of a list of stuff I'd like from Tormach -like their quick change milling tool holders and perhaps a fly cutter. Perhaps I could get the lathe tool holder from them too.

You can see my budget has just gone through the roof- that's the problem with looking- you always end up finding something.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the best upgrades I did was an idea taken from Tormach, with their jog controller. I bought the generic ShuttleXpress off of Amazon, for around $40. It works perfectly with Mach3, and makes indexing and zeroing the machine so much easier. For many operations, I just operate the machine manually through the controller.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, because those shuttleXpress gadgets are not imported into Europe, there is very little difference in price between that and a HXC USB Mach3 Pendant.

I think that would be the better option for pretty much the same money- unfortunately more than $40 ....more like $100 over here.
    Another thing on my wish list.