My personal shoptask website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My personal shoptask website

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My personal shoptask website

Hi all,

I'm new to machining and this forum. I just got my machine in January. My Shoptask is not CNC'd (yet) but this is probably the most active forum I've found related to the shoptask.

I had some trouble finding good/current information on the Shoptask while I was researching what machine to get and trying to figure out what I'd need to set it up. As Bloy2004 suggested I used an excelent guide by Tangoromeo. Of course now the Tri-power is out, so I guess new buyers are on their own again.

Anyway, since there was so little current info out there I decided to put up my own site. Not a guide really, just some observations on my experience.

Right now I'm working through some motor problems. Thanks in advance for checking out my site.

www.the-alchemist.com

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default any feedback?

Hi again,

If anyone has feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.

cheers,
    DaHui

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dahui
    Hi again,
    If anyone has feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.
    cheers, DaHui
    I tried it and got nowhere.
    How about making Flash optional so people w/o flash can still use the site?

Otherwise, it could be a fine and much appreciated help for Shoptask users.

Pres

Downloads
    Uploads

Default swf

Hi,

Sorry bout that, only the logo was done with flash, the rest of the site is HTML. I added a hyperlink to the splash page in case you can't load the .swf file.

thanks for the heads up,

Dahui

Last edited by dahui; 03-07-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Damn dude , I,m impressed $4 grand investment for a beginner machinist?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heh... four k for a startup hobby is relatively minor. Have you priced snowmobiles or jetskis?

Nice looking site Dahui. Should be helpful for other new owners. I do have to admit though that the flash front page is annoying to me too.

psst... on the endmill breakage, check www.mscdirect and order something so you get on their mailing list. They almost always have import endmill sets in their mailers for very reasonable prices. Make good expendable "learn on them" tooling.

Tiger

Downloads
    Uploads

Default thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the endmill tips, I'll check it out.

I'm also a freelance product designer so I've decided to do some of my own prototyping with the new machine, which helps take some of the sting out of the price. It is pretty comparable to anything else like golf or scuba diving or something. Machined stuff has always been fascinating to me and I waited about twelve years to finally get my hands into it.

It feels a lot better getting back into some fabrication, the computer was stealing my soul.

By the way, can I ask why you guys find the flash annoying? Just curious.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For me the annoyance of the flash intro pages is the obligatory wait. It's like a dvd that requires you to watch 10 minutes of trailers to see the movie you want. It's not so bad on highspeed, but on dialup the freeze while the flash loaded used annoy me enough that I'd often hit the reset button just to escape

Tiger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh i,m not really knocking how much ya spent I,m just jealous, it is a beauty of a machine..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dahui
    By the way, can I ask why you guys find the flash annoying? Just curious.
    I am also dialup + Flash is usually just a time waster for me.
    Most all of the material I'm interested in and needing is in html format.
    (Use only Win 98 & Linux with Opera browser)

Your site is exceptionally well done with useful tips on what, why & how.
    Congratulations!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep,

I hate Flash and any other time waster, don't really want to see how "clever" some flash guy is, just let me see the good stuff, asap.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default updates

Hey folks,

At the suggestion of a couple folks on the ST users forum I sanded the gibs and the ways today and things seem better. I haven't had the chance to take any test cuts. I was surprised at how rough the finishes were upon closer inspection, or rather how much difference some elbow grease could make. The X axis is glassy now. I could have sanded that gib more, but my arm was pretty tired after doing the way and the tailstock. I don't have a grinder so I did it by hand with 400 and 600 grit wet paper and Tapmatic.

I've also made a bunch of updates to my site if anyone is interested. I made a mounting bracket for my DRO over the last couple days, just finished it tonight.

http://www.the-alchemist.com/projectsdro.html

cheers,

DaHui

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ran accross your site while doing research...

Hello,

Great Site!!! Great information on the machine and projects.

One question. On the pictures I see you have a DRO on your machine. Do you have any problems with jitter on the Z axis DRO due to vibration from the mill motor?

I just upgraded to the latest version of the Shoptask El Dorado and have problems with the low order two digits of the Z DRO changing values. It seems to be related to vibration when running the Mill motor.

Thank you for the detailed info on the motor teardown/repair. I am a victim of the lathe and mill motor gremlins as well. How are your motors working since you installed the MOVs in series?

GAndrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The battery rebuild. ..... I love it. Keep up the good work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey,

I do in fact have problems with my X axis jittering. I wanted to change the resolution from .0002 to .0005 but my manual appears to be wrong. When I try the procedure it changes some other setting, not the DRO resolution.

If anyone knows how, this is for the Jenix DRO...I suppose asking JT might be productive. I had some luck by fidgeting with the cable where it enters the scale and making sure the loop wasn't putting as little pressure as possible on the scale.

My motor has been mostly okay since installing the MOV's. Sometimes I get a little brrrrp but I can clear it by jogging the motor in reverse. Right now I'm running a pair of 175V. This is probably way too much but it seems to help. You might try a 200v or 250v...or double up a couple of 150's. That is a very high voltage will have some quenching action, but not as efficient as having juuust enough voltage across the MOV to keep it from burning out.

Anyway, let me know if you find any z axis solutions. I'm actually looking into replacing the motors with some 1.5hp US made motors and a VFD...I figure that should eliminate a lot of the vibration.

Thanks on the power drill mod as well. That was a satisfying one.

cheers,

Dahui

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Jenix DRO Resolution Steps...

Hello,

The manual I have is for a 804 model Jenix DRO. Which Jenix DRO model do you have?

You can download the manual from the Jenix Web page (www.dsjenix.com). When you get to the main web page select English in the upper right hand corner of the Web page then choose manual on the left side of the web page that appears.

For my DRO, I can change the value and see more digits in the display being affected. When I change the resolution to zero for the particular scale I change, the readout does not change when the scale moves.

In my opinion, the manual lacks detailed explanations of what the values and fields do.

If you still have problems downloading the manual or have questions let me know.

By the way, on my machine the X and Y axis scales are rock solid, no jitter at all. I have noticed that if the sliding portion of the scale is not located just right relative to the fixed portion of the scale per the installation instructions regarding tolerances listed in the manual the readout will jitter.

Do you have a source for US made motors that are resonably priced?

Thanks again for a great web page. I am planning to make a new set of knobs and a copy of the tool for turning rounds (balls). I hope it is ok to borrow from your idea.

gandrade

Downloads
    Uploads

My DRO appears to be a Jenix 703. I'll take a look for the manual. I don't have any issues with the X or Y axis jittering, just the Z. I did a bunch of adjusting and shiming to get the scale and the reader lined up as well, but it's still shaky.

I'm hoping my new motor will run a lot smoother and eliminate some of that problem. I'll be using two 1.5 hp Baldor motors (TEFC) with a 145T frame and fabricating mounting brackets. I'd check out any local supplier for industrial motors. They aren't cheap. I'll be running a single Allen Bradley VFD for the time being and build a switching unit so I can use either motor on the VFD, but not both motors at once. What about the power-feed while milling? Eh, good question. I'm hoping to set up some sort of DC motor to drive the screw (mounted in the slot for the CNC motor) and build a control unit that works like the power-feed on a regular vertical mill. Probably causing more problems that I'm solving, but a second VFD isn't cheap either.

If anyone has a suggestion for setting up a DC motor power-feed I'd love to hear it.

As for the ball turner, I basically used Steve Bedair's design and tweaked it a bit. I may end up making a new base, instead of using the rotary base for my vise, because there are some clearance problems with the chuck if I want to work up close. Let us know how it goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much for sharing.
    Great job on website !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I see you recently updated your site!
    I'll be watching....great reading and I like all the photos!
    If I can ever manage to leap into anodizing, you'll have been the inspiration.

John (bloy)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey thanks a lot John. I spent a lot of time looking at your thread before I bought my ST. I love the paint job. Maybe some day I'll get ambitous and try a repaint, mine is flaking like a bowl of breakfast cereal.

I've actually got a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind. The first is about the motorized column. I'd love to to this mod but have no idea what kind of motor I would need. Any hints? How do you limit the speed of the motor since it's hooked up on a 3 way switch?

Also, I'm going to be hooking up new motors with a VFD and need to set up something to read the RPM. What's your source for the optical reader and display?

I actually have a backlog of projects to put up and I hope to get to them in the next couple of weeks. Been a bit busy lately.

Anodizing is pretty fun and great that I can do little bits and pieces at home. I just moved so I haven't gotten set up at my new place yet. I figure it won't take long to justify the cost of having small runs done at a shop. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but so far the results have at least produced an anodized layer!

Cheers,

Jason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast