My personal shoptask website - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My personal shoptask website

Downloads
    Uploads

That is one niceeee website. Great job on it and very interesting. Nice machine btw....Im also envious!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jason,
    Happy New Year!
    The motorized column is just a single reversible gearmotor that switches either up or down at a reasonable rate to get the head near desired position.
    After I got mine installed, I thought maybe it could have been a little faster, but I'm happy with it....something like 22 seconds to go from all the way down to all the way up. I just hold the momentary switch on until the right height is reached, tighten the spider. Then the z axis does the rest.
    The motor I used was a shot in the dark from ebay. It's an Oriental Motor Co. motor 4RK25GN-AT that's tagged as 100VAC, 1250 to 1500 revs per min.
    the accompanying gearhead is 4GN12.5K. (does this mean a 12:1 reduction?)

The sensor I'm using for spindle rpm was obtained from mouser... an omron part.
    part no. 653-EE-SN5V. I'll have to do some reasearch to find again what size resistor I used in the circuit. It's connections are covered in liquid electrical goop, and what notes I DID take are scribbled somewhere as yet undiscovered.

John (bloy)

Last edited by Bloy2004; 01-01-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

More shamelss self promotion. I have some new updates on my site...actual machining projects this time!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD Conversion is Complete!

Hi all,

Just wanted to let people know I've finished my VFD conversion and posted the project on my site. Don't forget to check out the motor mounts for both the mill and lathe.

I also repurposed the discussion link on my site to link to this thread.

Also, thanks John (Bloy) for your help with the motorized mill column. I have also posted this project.

cheers

<br> <br>

Last edited by dahui; 03-18-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default new updaes

Hi all, after a long long time I have a couple of new updates on my site: Bearing swap, Clausing compound slide adapter, and a power strip that I installed on the case.

I should have some photos of my motorized X axis power feed next week.

http://www.the-alchemist.com

Anyone else have some work to post? This place has been pretty slow lately. Bloy, you still around? How about the other guy doing a ST overhaul? I love pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads

yup...I'm still around

nice additions to your site! It's becoming (or has been for me) the "go-to" site!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. Did you loose interest in posting your progress? It would be neat to see what you have been up to.

I've been working a new job and haven't really had any time for the ol shoptask. A pitty since it's running so well these days.

Come on folks, any other pics of work or machine tuning? I need a fix.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to all you guys here posting your mods and upgrades.

My CNC kit came in from Dan 2 weeks ago and I'm slowly trying work out newly found bugs.
    My Z axis is now hanging up due to the tension from the belt, it's tight but not that tight.
    New pulley should be in today. Now I just need to find time.

sstec

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jason,

I’m glad to see your site back up! Your work and documentation is really quite extraordinary.

I have the older ShopTask Eldorado with a Quadralift. I purchased it with ball screws and have fitted it out for CNC work with Gecko drives and stepper motors. I’m getting ready to replace the spindle motor with a 180V DC motor. We will see how it works out.

I am curious about how you resolved your problem with the step pulleys that you purchased from MSC. Did you find another source? Did you make your own? Please share the manufacturer, part number and purchasing source if your bought them. If you made them yourself, how about the specs or a drawing.

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

I found some good pulleys in an ebay store ("electricmotorsite"). They are not billet, but the finish is excellent and made in canada. I think the brand was Maska.

My MSC pulleys (made by Browning) are in my junk box.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Shoptask Owner

Has anyone got a solution to this problem (besides a CNC conversion):
    The pitch on the X ballscrew allows only .0058"/rev feed rate with the lowest gearing available. I would like to see .003 for a better finish.

Or this problem: My pictures are too big to upload. Any way to reduce their size?

plumber

Downloads
    Uploads

What about using a larger tool nose radius?

Picasa is good for photos if you like free stuff
    http://picasa.google.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Excellent Site

I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into your site.
    I've watched it grow through the years (quietly) - and am very impressed.

I have the same ShopTask you have.
    I had a lot of problems (still do) with the push-pull device for the downfeed on Z-axis (JT calls it a 'dog') - it gets stuch for me a lot and I just got tired of taking it apart.

I have done no upgrades. Just used the machine for the small odd-jubs that ended up needing it.

I plan on using your site to make all the necessary upgrades (ways & bearings & oil), as well as a few more (VFD)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bboettjer View Post
    I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into your site.
    I've watched it grow through the years (quietly) - and am very impressed.

Thanks,

Bruce
    I whole-heartedly agree!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I need to get a couple more updates on there but my machine has been sitting in the crate for a few months since I just moved again. Man, what a pain.

I recently motorized the X axis with a little gear motor mounted in the opening for the CNC servo/stepper. Only problem is it takes quite a bit of effort to turn it by hand now. I need to come up with some sort of quick connect contraption.

Post some more photos people! I'm in need of inspiration. Maybe smallblock can post some pics of the patriot and that project he is talking about.

Oh and happy chinese new year, hehehe. That works on so many levels.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some pictures of my vfd drives & spindle housing. I am just about finished. Dahui what size is the Power Twist® V-Belt are you using is it 3/8".

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My personal shoptask website-vfd-1-jpg   My personal shoptask website-vfd2-jpg   My personal shoptask website-vfd3-jpg   My personal shoptask website-spindle-1-jpg  

My personal shoptask website-spindle-2-jpg   My personal shoptask website-spindle-3-jpg   My personal shoptask website-gearbox-1-jpg  
    Last edited by digitalmdj; 02-17-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post some more photos people! I'm in need of inspiration. Maybe smallblock can post some pics of the patriot and that project he is talking about.

Dahui-
    I have some good pics to post, but not sure how- they ask for an address- does that mean I need a website to post? Other forums just have a browser box which picks the photos from my picture file.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After you get done with writing your next reply do not click on submit reply. Scroll down the page to manage atachments. Click on it and you should be able to figure the rest out. Lets see some pictures.

Last edited by digitalmdj; 02-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi digitalmdj,

Since this is my thread I'd appreciate it if you would keep it civil and refrain from antagonizing other members that post on my thread. If you want to flame people, start a new thread. I don't want mine to get locked.

thanks for understanding,

DaHui

As for uploading photos. There is an icon for attachments (the paper clip) in the tool bar that appears when you are posting a message. Let us know if it's not self explanatory.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My personal shoptask website-attachment-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DaHui,
    Thanks for your help on the pictures and also on that guy with the attitude. I have been using the " quick reply" box, and they do not have the browse option there. My next project will be to polish a 383 stroker crank- will be sure to keep the camera handy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast