Searching a cad software for my plasma machine

Thread: Searching a cad software for my plasma machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Searching a cad software for my plasma machine

Hi
    Till now I am familiar with Milling but want to start using my new plasma home made machine.
    For my milling machine I used Aspire (Vectrix) to draw part, simulate the cutting and produce code.
    I run the code on my CNC with MACH3.
    I am not familiar at all with Plasma available softwares.

1) What are the popular (and cheap) available softwares equivalent to my Aspire (if exist)
    To allow me to draw part , simulate the cutting and produce code.

2) A quick overview on SheetCam tutorial PDF show that I can't do basic drawing. Only import cad drawing, do some corrections and produce code. There is no cutting simulator. Did I understood correctly?
    I will appreciate any help
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Searching a cad software for my plasma machine

Hi There..

I use sheetcam.. there is a simulator in it. but you can not draw in sheetcam..
    but it would be nice wit a 2 in 1 kind a software , to draw ,simulate and generate g codes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try SketchUp for regular geometry..squares, circles, arcs, polygons. The free version does all you will need.

For trick stuff use inksacpe. Lots of youtube videos on the inkscape/sheetcam combination.

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as the drawing and design side, I use inventor for most of the stuff I do on on a CNC mill... Vectric for most of the wood router stuff and autocad or vetric for the 2d stuff for plasma. It mostly depends on what you're used to using and is easiest for you. I use Mach to drive all the machines but bottom line for plasma software to create your gcode, unless you have a plasma machine that uses it's own proprietary driver/cam/cad software Sheetcam will do everything you need to do for Plasma. All those seemingly simple tasks like lead ins, outs, tabs, nesting, pierce & cut heights, speeds etc all output and included in your gcode "cut file" by sheetcam make things fairly simple and straightforward. I highly recommend it. It's fairly inexpensive and the pound/dollar exchange rate is in your favor right now when you buy using paypal if you're in the US.