Got my MR-J2S40 Mitsubishi servo drives turning and a few questions..

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my MR-J2S40 Mitsubishi servo drives turning and a few questions..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Got my MR-J2S40 Mitsubishi servo drives turning and a few questions..

First WOW these AC servos are amazing. The resolution, torque, and individual steps (131072) per rev is just awesome! Proud to own such great technology and I have only just jogged these things around in Mitu’s PC Config software. Anyways I could use some feedback/advice on how hard I should push the servos in terms of loading. I know you can get closer to their peak power output than steppers because of the encoder feedback/error detection but how close would you go?

Some numbers, I have 184oz/inches of continuous torque and 3000rpm nominal per servo. Building a dual drive gantry, thinking of about something between like a 6 to 9 to 1 reduction. So tell me if I have the engineering right, going rack and pinion. 184.10oz/in x 6(reduction) x 2(radius) because I have a one inch diametrical pitch pinion thus the radius is the lever arm which in my case is .5 . So almost 140 pounds of force per motor sound right???? My gantry weighs around 100 pounds, 10' x 4' table for routing and plasma. Seems more than sufficient to me, especially if you look at peak torque and rpm that is available. Peak torque is almost triple this for 10 seconds and peak rpm can hit 5000. So maybe even more reduction would be necessary to take advantage of this reserve punch.

Also does anyone know how to hook up a smooth stepper card to use Quadrature pulses? I guess you need the right breakout board or maybe it is simpler than that. Quadrature would really allow me to utilize the full resolution of the drives. Thanks to all posters in advance. See my website for pics of my setup to be. Must type in your browser PhiladelphiaMachineWorks.com

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by CncForMe; 04-12-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Sp

Downloads
    Uploads

did the config software come with the drives? ive been looking all over for it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NO config software with the drives...

I, ahhhh, found it on line... for free. You no how it is, I did buy four of their drives. I feel like it should be free anyways. Nice program pretty simple but everything you need is there. Much easier than using the drive buttons to config everything. The test functions are great too much to hookup everything just to turn some motors. Only thing that I think could be better is the damn interface plugs man are those hard to solder, too small. Search for the MR Config part number that's how I found it

Downloads
    Uploads

i ve searched everywhere but cant find it!
    any chance you have a link?
    or could email me something?
    tried searching mr configurator etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Building a dual drive gantry, thinking of about something between like a 6 to 9 to 1 reduction. So tell me if I have the engineering right, going rack and pinion. 184.10oz/in x 6(reduction) x 2(radius) because I have a one inch diametrical pitch pinion thus the radius is the lever arm which in my case is .5 .
    Go with a pinion of at least 18-20 teeth. This will give a smoother less cogging motion.
    Then your 6-9/1 reduction should be good. Same, if your using a timing belt for reduction don't go less than 18 teeth on the small gear. 5M15 belt should be good.
    We use 20 pitch rack on our routers. (from Moore Gear)

Also does anyone know how to hook up a smooth stepper card to use Quadrature pulses? I guess you need the right breakout board or maybe it is simpler than that. Quadrature would really allow me to utilize the full resolution of the drives.
    Why , are you wanting to run double closed loop ? I don't think mach does anything with an encoder input but display it.

Larry K

Downloads
    Uploads

AFAIK the drive produces a pseudo encoder output that is programmable by parameter (27) default 4000p/rev.
    The most demands on a system is during the accel/decel, and the motor to load inertia ratio is the critical number (must be under 10:1) and increases as acceleration increases, try one of the sizing programs, if you search here for Kollmorgen you will find the download link, it is on the ElectroMate site.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Not looking to go closed loop

I just wanted more resolution but after running the numbers i should be good with just step and direction input.

Battwel sent you an emial with the MRZJW3-SETUP151E software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi...

I've just used the same drive with a HC-KFS43 Servo for an art project...
    For controlling the driver, I used step and direction....

Interfacing it with 5v logic from an AVR was done with a 2n2222 and some other parts...
    I can give details on the interface if you want...

I'm having some trouble tuning it, but that is a new thread...

Downloads
    Uploads

cnc for me thanks for the email. works great!

any chance you came accross the software for mr-j2 series too? not j2s.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default interfacing 24volt open collector input to step/direction signals

just in case you havnt come accross this yet. the mitsubishi drive is looking for a 24 volt step/direction input not 5v

i tried feeding it with 5 volts into the interface but it wouldnt have it.

i used a uln2803a chip fed with 24 volts accross pins 9 and 10 (pin 10 24v pin 9 common)
    inputs into pins 1 to 8 give outputs on pins 18 to 11 (opposite one to one so nice and easy) works perfectly at all frequencies i tried.
    using mach3 and 100 steps per mm i can get 15000 mm per minute which is as fast as my commercial cnc. (ive set up electronic gearing in the drive)

with the 2803a chip you need no other circuitry, pull up resistors etc its all in there!
    having 8 inputs and outputs one chip is good for 4 axis.
    hope this helps anyone else.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey...

I used the open collector input...
    With a 2n2222 and a 1k resistor....
    It's working allright...

Michael

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Mitsubishi drives work just fine off of 5v logic input. Heres the thing. There is an error in the manuals. Where they show wiring to a pulse control the + and - labels are backwards. I found out this the hard way...

So pins 12 and 13 are positive and 2 and 3 are negative. There is a 91 ohm resistor in series with the opto and a reverse polarity protection diode there as well.

Anyways my Hercus Computurn is running with two MR-J2 drives right now. 400w on the Z and 200w on the X. Both running on the

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my MR-J2S40 Mitsubishi servo drives turning and a few questions..-3677890034_0ddcea8ca5_b-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked for the configuration software MRZJW3-SETUP1 for the MRE Mitsubishi drive but had not found it anywhere online. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, Stan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Macona could you explain in more detail using 5v with the MITU drives

I can't seem to get my j2s series drives to work on 5v logic. Are you using differential (quadrature) or open collector? What are you calling reversed polarity? A schematic would be appreciated very much.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey...

I ran mine open collector with a 2n2222 and 1k resistor...
    The manual I downloaded form the internet had a schematic I followed...
    Can't provide you with an exact schematic as I'm in the middle of moving to another country....

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

interfacing 24volt open collector input to step/direction signals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just in case you havnt come accross this yet. the mitsubishi drive is looking for a 24 volt step/direction input not 5v

i tried feeding it with 5 volts into the interface but it wouldnt have it.

i used a uln2803a chip fed with 24 volts accross pins 9 and 10 (pin 10 24v pin 9 common)
    inputs into pins 1 to 8 give outputs on pins 18 to 11 (opposite one to one so nice and easy) works perfectly at all frequencies i tried.
    using mach3 and 100 steps per mm i can get 15000 mm per minute which is as fast as my commercial cnc. (ive set up electronic gearing in the drive)

with the 2803a chip you need no other circuitry, pull up resistors etc its all in there!
    having 8 inputs and outputs one chip is good for 4 axis.
    hope this helps anyone else.
    works great with mr-j2s and offers a full buffer too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks Michael

I did see that... really trying to avoid another board. Would love to see that schematic when you get a chance though. What are you using your drives on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Battwell

I do have an uln2308a chip but can't seem to make it work. Just starting playing with the drives on my machine after a long mechanics build. Lots of parameters to set in the drives. What do you have parameter 21 set to, mach says negative logic so I picked 0011. Could you show in a diagram how uln2308a wires to the open collector side of the drive? To be clear using standard step and direction signals. Thanks very much.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used the drive in an art project that went to Austria... A rather large 3d printer...
    The project is still there and will be indefinitely....

I also didn't want to make another pcb, so I wired them inline and covered them with heat shrink tubing...

IIRC, it was a few months back, I wired the Open Collector input to the 2n2222s collector...
    The Emitter to ground and the Base with a series 1k resistor to the control PCB with the AVR that was driving it....
    Since I wasn't using opto-isolation, I added a 5.1volt zener from base to ground as well but I'm not sure if that's necessary...
    I don't even think I drew up a schematic and couldn't find one when looking thru the project folder...

Michael

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Also battwell

Are you feeding 24 volts from the drives power to opc (open collector pin)? Are you using an external power supply or the drives supply for the 24 volts on the uln2803a?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast