CNC breakout board VS Motion Control Board

Thread: CNC breakout board VS Motion Control Board

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC breakout board VS Motion Control Board

Hello all,
    I'm trying to filter the difference between a 'breakout board' and a 'motion control board'. If you go to CNC4PC, they sell a whole section for Breakout Boards, but then if you go to the Motion Control Board section, they also have what appear to be Breakout Boards listed under there.
    I understand the breakout boards are just a port broken out into it's individual pins, with some isolation in-between. Is the Motion Control Board basically that, with a PC wrapped inside? Do they have provision for operator interface (the one's I'm seeing don't mention anything about it). How do they load gcode (again, no mention)?. I can't quite tell if it still needs a PC.

These questions popped up when looking into servos and drives. I'm familiar with steppers and how to implement them, but when trying to figure out servos I can't seem to determine what takes the place of the breakout board on a comparable stepper system. It seems that most generic servo drives can take a pulse and direction input, just like a stepper. Does this mean (assuming the voltages are the same) I can simply take out the stepper/drive and put in a servo/drive and that same pulse and direction should work just fine (probably after a little configuration of the drive itself)? Or does a servo drive require something more like what a motion control board provides?

Whenever I'm searching google for something like "CNC breakout board, servo drive" it pops up with hundreds of breakout boards and they all only mention steppers, not seeming to find anything about the servo equivalent.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what takes the place of the breakout board on a servo drive? (assuming a PC control with something like Mach3, I know there are other options like motion control PLCs, and full blown CNCs like Fanuc).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC breakout board VS Motion Control Board

A "breakout" boards is to convert one logic signal standard to another logic level standard and generally includes isolation devices. It also may have a relay etc for turning on/off of a VFD etc.
    A "Motion control board" is one that either creates or controls the means of servo/stepper devices, for the actual motion control/positioning of the motors. PID loop for e.g.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC breakout board VS Motion Control Board

Quote Originally Posted by bengineer View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to filter the difference between a 'breakout board' and a 'motion control board'. If you go to CNC4PC, they sell a whole section for Breakout Boards, but then if you go to the Motion Control Board section, they also have what appear to be Breakout Boards listed under there.
    I understand the breakout boards are just a port broken out into it's individual pins, with some isolation in-between. Is the Motion Control Board basically that, with a PC wrapped inside? Do they have provision for operator interface (the one's I'm seeing don't mention anything about it). How do they load gcode (again, no mention)?. I can't quite tell if it still needs a PC.

These questions popped up when looking into servos and drives. I'm familiar with steppers and how to implement them, but when trying to figure out servos I can't seem to determine what takes the place of the breakout board on a comparable stepper system. It seems that most generic servo drives can take a pulse and direction input, just like a stepper. Does this mean (assuming the voltages are the same) I can simply take out the stepper/drive and put in a servo/drive and that same pulse and direction should work just fine (probably after a little configuration of the drive itself)? Or does a servo drive require something more like what a motion control board provides?

Whenever I'm searching google for something like "CNC breakout board, servo drive" it pops up with hundreds of breakout boards and they all only mention steppers, not seeming to find anything about the servo equivalent.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what takes the place of the breakout board on a servo drive? (assuming a PC control with something like Mach3, I know there are other options like motion control PLCs, and full blown CNCs like Fanuc).
    For Motion Control Boards would normally have some kind Programable MCU or an FPGA CPU on it, a Regular Breakout Board does not it just has Optos to protect the computer

If your control has an output for Step / Dir, like what Mach3 does and many other controls, then this is suitable for Steppers Drives / Motors and most modern Servo Drives / Motors that have Step / Dir input as (1) of the control methods

So not much to worry about between Steppers and Servos if you choose the right Servo system like DMM they can be even easier to setup than Steppers

https://dmm-tech.com/

Mactec54