Stuck on determining voltage/drive for motor

Thread: Stuck on determining voltage/drive for motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stuck on determining voltage/drive for motor

Hello and thanks so much for offering help !!

The selected motor is canisdrive 58-100
    Linked is the PDF for it (Starting at page 53)
    https://harmonicdrive.de/fileadmin/p...8_2019_V05.pdf

For the application:
    (Gear ratio 100)
    Inertia at actuator: 14kg*m2
    The Torque at actuator will be around 616Nm
    The rotational speed at actuator will be about 4.6rpm

Do I just use the Ke value from the motor sheet?

I'm trying to select an Elmo MC drive for this but am confused
    https://www.elmomc.com/products/indu...e-gold-family/

For AC motors, the current they receive is AC correct? So probably a Elmo AC drive would be the right choice? And I was thinking the Gold Oboe?

But I'm unsure of the voltage requirement of the motor, looking at all of the different motor specs from various brands has had me a bit confused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a wonderful day/night!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stuck on determining voltage/drive for motor

The spec's as presented in the pdf are a difficult way to find the answer, but using the DC max bus voltage [VDC] (680VDC) spec and multiplying that by 0.707 you come up with ~480VAC input to the drive.

So according to the Gold Oboe spec's it seems like that would be the correct drive for that motor.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The spec's as presented in the pdf are a difficult way to find the answer, but using the DC max bus voltage [VDC] (680VDC) spec and multiplying that by 0.707 you come up with ~480VAC input to the drive.

So according to the Gold Oboe spec's it seems like that would be the correct drive for that motor.
    Thanks!

Would using a 480vac line be a bit overkill though?

I was wondering if I get away with using 230vac instead.

It doesn't seem that the application will be utilizing the motor to it's full capacity, I just wanted to make sure I run the calculations right, though I've been confused on how to go about them for servos.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most common servo systems are 200V class or 400V class. Where the 200V class will handle input voltage in the range of about 180 to 250V, and the 400V class will handle input voltages in the 380 to 480V range. There are some that are rated at 120V or less input, and are single phase.

In general, the 200V class systems can be purchased in single phase, single or 3 phase, or 3 phase only depending on the power. I have seen systems up to 2kW that will operate on single phase 230V, above that they seem to be 3 phase only I have seen only 3 phase systems in the 400V class. In general the output voltage of the drive is not more than the input voltage to the drive, even though the DC bus voltage in the drive operates at about 1.414*VACin.

The drive needs to be matched to the motor, so you would not normally try to operate a 400V class motor on a 200V class drive or vice versa. You can get the same overall performance out of a 200V class system as you can a 400V class system. Everything else being equal, the 200V class system draws twice the amperage of the 400V class system, but the input power and output power is the same.

So given the way the spec's are written in the catalog and for your application, I would spec a motor that [VDC] = ~340V. This would then be compatible with a 200V class drive.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA