How to start up a servo drive the proper way.

Thread: How to start up a servo drive the proper way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to start up a servo drive the proper way.

Safe way of switching it on;

I have a servo driver that I switch on from main power and then I have wired a toggle switch to "enable the servo" . When you switch this on the green light comes on the servo driver "run" which means the servo driver is ready to do it's thing. You hear a nice "click noise" when this happens.

My question is; Is it okay to leave this toggle switch on permanently so that the green "run" light (servo enable) just comes on when I switch mains power on to the servo driver,

I don't want to be doing with switching it on manually all time.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to start up a servo drive the proper way.

That is just about the way most servo drives operate, i.e. enabled when powered.
    But do you have a manual on the drive or model?
    That appears to be an older drive if it has an internal relay, as it sounds it does!

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

...just wire up an E-Stop button string to the Enable.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27488805655...8AAOSwzNxhByin

If, servo amp has a + and - Enable you could wire to use them for Over-Travel shut down too. De-energizing the servo amp a few minutes before turning off is a good Idea. (Read it some where before it's a good idea)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...just wire up an E-Stop button string to the Enable.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27488805655...8AAOSwzNxhByin

If, servo amp has a + and - Enable you could wire to use them for Over-Travel shut down too. De-energizing the servo amp a few minutes before turning off is a good Idea. (Read it some where before it's a good idea)
    @ Al the man; yeah model is MIGE; MG-1000C30L

and thats the issue @ machinehop5; It is always good to turn off "servo enable" before turning the main power off. There is no where in the parameters where you can "time" such things.

The servo enable just runs off a 24V. I don't wanna be installing kill switches etc because I want to "automate" the process as much as possible. I know I am not giving you guys much to play with here.

However if no damage can be done by havng it enable and disable when main power is switched on then thats the way I would like to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking through the manual, I would treat it like I usually do, IOW the main power would only be allowed on a energized E-Stop
    The enable would be made all the time.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Same servo's have a perameter you can change to make servo "automatically enable" when all your main power is switched on.

You would normally fit your "control power" line directly to your circuit breaker (prefferably with an in-line safety fuse).
    Then you would normally fit a contactor to the 'main power' line and put your kill switch to the contactor.

Now the kill switch/estop cuts main power which disables the motor via the contactor, not via the enable signal. The control power is left enrtact to tell your controller the motor has shut down (estop situation). Then you just use the reset input on the servo (fit a button) and start again.

My servo manual is crap and just shows everything connected direct which is wrong. I mean, what is the point of an enable fault if the lot goes of all at once?!.
    I'm using the manual from the DMM servo's to wire up my main & control lines so I can use the auto enable and reset functions correctly.

Something like this on page 10.
    https://drivedynamics.co.za/wp-conte....020150916.pdf

Last edited by dazp1976; 08-09-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by damunk View Post
    Safe way of switching it on;
    ...and off..AC Surge vs control of said power. If, controller has no control ...anything can and will happen. Some systems backfeed to the Input side on ac to dump the energy of ..."its gone where..what braking resistor" when ramping down. ...totally MFG depended thinking when designing