Having issue connecting with Yaskawa Servopack SGDA-08AS (servopack not found)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having issue connecting with Yaskawa Servopack SGDA-08AS (servopack not found)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Having issue connecting with Yaskawa Servopack SGDA-08AS (servopack not found)

Hi Group,

I have a Yaskawa SGDA-08AS Servopack that I am trying to use to control a Yaskawa SGM-08A314SP servo motor. I am trying to establish communication between my PC and the Servopack using the Sigmawin+ 5.75 software. I am using a USB to RS-422 communication cable between the PC and the Servopack. It seems that no matter what I do I get the "servopack not found" message. I have double checked my port settings (baud: 9600, data: 7 bit, parity: even, stop: 1 bit, XON/XOFF: none) and currently do not have the CN1, CN2, or motor cables hooked up. I just 110VAC power to the drive and the operator communication cable. 1 thing I have noted is the alarm led comes on along with power led, I do not know if this is normal or not. Is there something obvious that I am missing or a little known setting I cannot find? Any insight into this issue is sincerely appreciated and if there is any other info that is needed please let me know. Thank you all in advance for your time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Having issue connecting with Yaskawa Servopack SGDA-08AS (servopack not found)

Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFT View Post
    Hi Group,

I have a Yaskawa SGDA-08AS Servopack that I am trying to use to control a Yaskawa SGM-08A314SP servo motor. I am trying to establish communication between my PC and the Servopack using the Sigmawin+ 5.75 software. I am using a USB to RS-422 communication cable between the PC and the Servopack. It seems that no matter what I do I get the "servopack not found" message. I have double checked my port settings (baud: 9600, data: 7 bit, parity: even, stop: 1 bit, XON/XOFF: none) and currently do not have the CN1, CN2, or motor cables hooked up. I just 110VAC power to the drive and the operator communication cable. 1 thing I have noted is the alarm led comes on along with power led, I do not know if this is normal or not. Is there something obvious that I am missing or a little known setting I cannot find? Any insight into this issue is sincerely appreciated and if there is any other info that is needed please let me know. Thank you all in advance for your time.
    Is it rated for 120v and do you have the Servo Motor connected

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Having issue connecting with Yaskawa Servopack SGDA-08AS (servopack not found)

I'm fishing here...

The alarm you mention tells me it's something to do with page 147:
    Either:
    The alarm in C1 - C2
    Or:
    What is that link between 34 & 35 on 1CN that looks to trigger 2CN?

That's how the wiring diagram looks to me anyhow.

1CN- 5 & 6 show something at the host controller SEN & 0SEN
    Then something about high on 3 & 4.

On my servo it uses RS485 (I don't use it) that can control up to 32 drives.
    What it says is there are 2 pins on my I/O port that need to be shorted on the last one in the chain.
    This is what I'm trying to fish for and check on yours. The manual is a minefield.
    Which pages show connections of the RS422?.

Last edited by dazp1976; 07-07-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I'm fishing here...

The alarm you mention tells me it's something to do with page 147:
    Either:
    The alarm in C1 - C2
    Or:
    What is that link between 34 & 35 on 1CN that looks to trigger 2CN?

That's how the wiring diagram looks to me anyhow.

1CN- 5 & 6 show something at the host controller SEN & 0SEN
    Then something about high on 3 & 4.

On my servo it uses RS485 (I don't use it) that can control up to 32 drives.
    What it says is there are 2 pins on my I/O port that need to be shorted on the last one in the chain.
    This is what I'm trying to fish for and check on yours. The manual is a minefield.
    Which pages show connections of the RS422?.
    You sure are fishing, give it a break as you are way over your head with this Bs

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You sure are fishing, give it a break as you are way over your head with this Bs
    It's not total bs. Just something to look out for.
    He did say he has nothing else connected.
    The IO on mine has a DB44 connection and in order for my RS485 to work, 2 of the pins need to be bridged to allow it's transmission signals to pass through to the host.
    That's all.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not total bs. Just something to look out for.
    He did say he has nothing else connected.
    The IO on mine has a DB44 connection and in order for my RS485 to work, 2 of the pins need to be bridged to allow it's transmission signals to pass through to the host.
    That's all.
    That's not all that you posted, Just bad advice which could damage a drive like this, the Op can find everything in the manual for this servo drives even though it could be up to 30 / 40 years old

The servo drive you used has nothing in common with a Yaskawa Servo Drive and what the OP was talking about, you got your servo drive working with the help from others unless you have years of experience in electrical / electronics and installation of different servo systems you are just making confusing posts that are not relevant to the subject and could be damaging if someone did this

So Bs is appropriate

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

As I said he needs to check the Servo Drive Voltage before he does anything else because his Servo Drive voltage he has is 200v/230v it is not going to run on 120v the voltage is all in the model number what he has

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

... Yaskawa Servopack SGDA manual may help for current and future references. Thanks Yaskawa

Happy Hunting and welcome to the zone

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I am using 120 VAC ( the drive can use either 200-230 single phase or 110-115 single phase) and the servo is connected. I was able to get the alarm light off by applying 24VDC to pins 34 and 35 on CN1 and I think I need to initialize the drive (still trying to figure out those pins) so it will be ready to talk to the PC. mactec54 I see what you are talking about concerning the input power, I may be completely out of bounds using the 120 VAC...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I am glad to be here! There appears to be quite a wealth of knowledge to tap into and hopefully I can contribute where applicable.

Downloads
    Uploads

...you do know RS232 and RS422 are two different animals right? The cabling is different for one thing

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I actually have both USB-RS232 and USB-RS422 cables. According to Yaskawa it should be able to communicate either way but in the specs it does mention RS422 specifically which is what I am using.

Downloads
    Uploads

So it turns out I should be able to at least communicate with the drive via 120 VAC but not run the servo. We are in the process of having 220 brought into the office and have also been told that it may be the USB-serial adapter I am using that may be the issue...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I actually have both USB-RS232 and USB-RS422 cables. According to Yaskawa it should be able to communicate either way but in the specs it does mention RS422 specifically which is what I am using.
    In the spec's it does say that drive is for RS422, it even give s you all the correct connections to use

Where did you find the information that you can run your Servo Drive on 120v the model number SGDA-08AS says that it is a 200/230v Drive

The Input Power connection is important also that it connects to R and T for this Drive connections for Single Phase

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So it turns out I should be able to at least communicate with the drive via 120 VAC but not run the servo. We are in the process of having 220 brought into the office and have also been told that it may be the USB-serial adapter I am using that may be the issue...
    Yes the USB adapter could be the problem, you may have to find an old computer to be able to connect I have the remote controls for these drives but not sure how many I have left with cables I have some of these drives that are New also

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke with tech support concerning the input power and was told "you should be able to communicate with the drive but will not be able to run the servo using 120 VAC" and at this point all I am trying to do is establish communication to ensure the drive is operable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not:
    Carefully read all the manual. Get every I/O wired in correctly while you're waiting for your 220v mains to be fitted.
    Double check your wiring with mactec.
    Then turn it on when it's all ready to run, and sort out any communications issues at that point.

Going at it half arsed is probarbly not helping.

(24v was missing on CN1, causing an alarm.... I'm not surprised )

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not:
    Carefully read all the manual. Get every I/O wired in correctly while you're waiting for your 220v mains to be fitted.
    Double check your wiring with mactec.
    Then turn it on when it's all ready to run, and sort out any communications issues at that point.

Going at it half arsed is probarbly not helping.

(24v was missing on CN1, causing an alarm.... I'm not surprised )
    The 24v is not needed the CN1 I/0 Alarm pins can use a jumper for what he is doing he can not run the drive with his voltage supply being incorrect I'm not sure but most likely won't be able to do much at all, it is pretty much a waste of time doing anything until he has the 240v supply, he also needs the Servo Motor connected also as these Drives read a code in the Encoder to Ok the Motor and Drive as a match

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So it looks like power should be finished Monday morning, then we attack!

Downloads
    Uploads

Power is finished and hooked up to drive, motor is hooked up to drive. I have a tower that has an RS-232 port and have updated it's settings to match what the SGDA-08AS needs (9600, 7 bit, even parity, Xon/Xoff = none). Now when I try to connect I am getting an immediate error that reads "cannot use this port at present, please change criteria or click the exception button", any ideas? Sorry to be a bother, this should be way easier than what I am turning it into...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast