Need Help! Looking for Silent Servo Motors

Thread: Looking for Silent Servo Motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Looking for Silent Servo Motors

Hi there!

I am looking for silent servo motors. I know that most hobby servos do a lot of buzzing and humming. But do you know of any hobby or professional normal size servo motors that are actually silent?

Thank you so much for your help!
    ygreq

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ygreq View Post
    Hi there!

I am looking for silent servo motors. I know that most hobby servos do a lot of buzzing and humming. But do you know of any hobby or professional normal size servo motors that are actually silent?

ygreq
    Hey, what you are looking for are zero-cogging servos. These range from motors with skewed magnets or stacks to slotless motors. Both are less torque dense. Slotless motors are great for low cogging harmonics which are a typical noise source, but torque ripple is an issue. Pair with a driver that has >24kHz switching frequency and carefully tune the torque loop to eliminate significant ripple.

You may have a hard time finding these already in housings, Kollmorgen and Celera Motion make frameless kits for $$$. If it's silent for hobby use... let us know if you find it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for Silent Servo Motors

I use BLDC servo motors with simple A-M-C current mode (transconductance) amplifiers and they are perfectly silent down to 0 rpm.
    It depends on the quality of the feedback.
    When BLDC first came out, a salesman told me they could not be used at low rpm without buzzing.
    That is true if used open loop in a voltage control mode.
    I used a motion card to control the axis where the feedback response is 12mhz .

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ygreq View Post
    Hi there!

ygreq
    We use GSK servo motors, so far so good.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Delta B2 series servos, Taiwanese brand, made in China, good quality and support at fair prices and very quiet while not actually silent.
    750W B2 (160,000 count per rev encoder) series servo/drive/cables for $438USD plus shipping is pretty fair value.

Craig