servo motor question

Thread: servo motor question

Default servo motor question

evening all, i have a 3 axis servo motor and driver setup but i need to swap one of the motors for a higher NM one, i have found a motor with the NM i require but when i have looked at the connecting plugs the number of wires are different, is this a problem??
    current motor has 2 plugs, 1 has 4 wires, 1 has 15, the motor i have found has 3 on 1 plug and 8 on the other.
    will i be able to use this new motor or am i asking for trouble buying it??

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: servo motor question

Hi,
    in short yes.

The cable with four wires, usually thick gauge wires, are the three phases and one earth wire for the motor. The cable with 15 wires is almost certainly
    the encoder and hall sensors. The probability that the servo drive is matched to the replacement servo is vanishingly small.

I would recommend, especially if you are new to servos, buy a matched pair.

I have found Delta, a Taiwanese brand, manufactured in China to be good quality, good backup, good documentation and MOST importantly
    free PC based tuning and set-up software, at very fair prices. There are even cheaper brands, all Chinese made, but have questionable backup and
    support, poor documentation and NO set-up and tuning software. DO NOT BE TEMPTED.....you will tear your hair out with these things if you are new to servos.
    If you've had plenty of experience with AC servos THEN they are very attractive as they are cheap and perform well and are a good proposition.

Just as a matter of interest the Delta servos only have four wires in the encoder cable as the encoder/servo drive communication is highspeed serial.
    That all but ensures that if you have a Delta servo you MUST use a Delta servo drive in order both ends of the serial link match each other.

Craig

thanks for that ill have a look around

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcmental View Post
    evening all, i have a 3 axis servo motor and driver setup but i need to swap one of the motors for a higher NM one, i have found a motor with the NM i require but when i have looked at the connecting plugs the number of wires are different, is this a problem??
    current motor has 2 plugs, 1 has 4 wires, 1 has 15, the motor i have found has 3 on 1 plug and 8 on the other.
    will i be able to use this new motor or am i asking for trouble buying it??
    You can buy the same brand same series like your current motors, but with bigger torque, that will be much easier, because the wire and plugs will be the same.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    You can buy the same brand same series like your current motors, but with bigger torque, that will be much easier, because the wire and plugs will be the same.
    i dont seem to be able to find any Bonmet motors though