Need Help! Yaskawa servo motor "retrofit" (Hurco BMC-30)

Thread: Yaskawa servo motor "retrofit" (Hurco BMC-30)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yaskawa servo motor "retrofit" (Hurco BMC-30)

Hello to everyone,

I'm new here, I'm Jan, 25 from Germany.
    I have an Hurco BMC 30 and I want to retrofit the electronics. I want to control the machine with LinuxCNC and the Mesa Card.
    Is it possible to use the old Motors from the machine an buy new Servo drivers or better buy new Motors and Drivers?
    Which brand ist the best in quality and price (Sanyo Denki, JMC, Delta)?

Motor:
    YASKAWA
    Type: USAFED-20FB2T
    1.8kw
    1500rpm
    117kgxcm
    15A

Encoder:
    UTOPI-500UB
    5000P/r

Jan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yaskawa servo motor "retrofit" (Hurco BMC-30)

If it's got Yaskawa servo motors, doesn't it also have Yaskawa servo drives? If so, I can't imagine why you'd remove them and fit something in their place. Yaskawa is about as good as you'll get when it comes to motors and drives.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.

Given your specs may I suggest you consider the system I used on the machine given in the link?

While the machine type is very different to yours the motors are of about the same capacity as yours. Just in case I decided to buff up the axes motors a little. It proved unnecesary but the price difference was meaningless at the time. That was about 3 years ago.

I can´t tell about the software as I use my own but I´m certain that you can easily get help to use whatever system you decide.

They are chinese JMC motors and I have not had any complain from my customers. They are usually run 16 to 18 hours a day Monday to Saturday.

While there are other machines where I installed these motors previously to this one, this is the only one where the needles motor was replaced with a servo as the needles have to stop at the UDP (upper dead point) to allow for what is called Tack & Jump.

If I can be of assistance please don´t hesitate to contact me.

Regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again.

I should have asked for this first. What is the reason to replace your current system?

A side note. If your controller has failed it may be possible for a new system to run with your current drives and motors. There would be no need to replace the whole thing.

Keep me posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey,

I want to replace the system, because the CPU is demaged.
    The motors and drive should working. The drive is a Yaskawa CACR-SR 20. I'm not sure if this drive work with Linuxcnc (dir/step).

Quote Originally Posted by BBMNet View Post
    Hello again.

I should have asked for this first. What is the reason to replace your current system?

A side note. If your controller has failed it may be possible for a new system to run with your current drives and motors. There would be no need to replace the whole thing.

Keep me posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.

In general it´s not the CNC system the issue when retrofitting a machine but the motion controller outside the PC, an interface card and their software modules required for the type of drive system being controlled.

I´m not too familiar with other systems like LinuxCNC, Mach3, Arduino, etc. because as I mentioned I make my own systems so they may need other things that I may not be aware of.

After a brief review of your drive and motor model I noticed that your drives are driven by +/-10V signals. It´s of prime importance that the control system receives the position information from the encoders on the motors so you have to be sure that in whatever system you select as candidate for your retrofit it has the option for that purpose.

While after a brief look at the manual I didn´t see any option to give them STEP & DIRECTION signal so they may not have them but also check the manual for that.

There is supposed to be a small terminal. I hope you can take a look at it and if possible make a small report on it as it seems to be the guide to communicate those drives with a PC or any other controller for that matter.

Up to this point replacing the motors and drive seems to be the easiest way to go but not precisely the cheapest.

If you´re not in a hurry a suggest you check for a control system that accepts the position signals and decide from there.

The advantage of the newer systems is that the new servos can be set as if they were step motors needing only STEP & DIRECTION signals. That´s what you watched on my machine.

Just to give you an idea, the following link uses about the same program but with hardware and software enhancements to receive the position signals from the encoders.. In some quilting machines the PC is capable enough to do the decoding but in this case an external position decoder had to be added.

Keep me posted if possible.

Regards.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I just happened to open the following link. It shows one analog controller that they claim can be applied in MACH4 systems.

You may have to carefully check it but it might be what you need to keep your current motors and drives.

HiCON Integra - Step and Direction 6 Axis Mach3 Mach4 Ethernet Motion Controller, CNC Retrofit, Machine Tools

Keep me posted.