French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it

Thread: French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it

Downloads
    Uploads

Default French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it

I have a plasma table here with a very old controller thats gonna get retrofitted with modern kit.
    The Z axis is driven by this DC servo made by Smh (Moteurs et motoréducteurs, moteurs courant continu, motoréducteurs synchrones, moteurs pas-à-pas).
    From the label, I can tell its a 24V DC, 3000rpm, 0.2nm. Label also says "PM" (permanent magnet?)

It has two plugs coming out of it, power and encoder I assume. Two wires on each, 4 total. Although I don't know if the two wires coming out the back are actually from a proper encoder because its labelled as a "tachometer". These two plugs are connected to a really ancient looking PCB with a cable that has 5 wires going back to the controller.

As the old controller is getting ripped out, I need to find a DC servo drive that can run this motor and take step/dir signals. I kinda have to use this motor because the Z axis frame is an aluminium casting shaped specifically for it. It's even rounded to fit the cylindrical shape fo the motor. It's also a non-standard frame size (apporx 32mm between bolts, 62mm motor diameter). My other option is buying a new motor and drive but that means replacing the Z Axis frame too so thats my last resort.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it-whatsapp-image-2020-05-07-08-44-a   French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it-whatsapp-image-2020-05-06-21-52-a   French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it-whatsapp-image-2020-05-06-21-06-a   French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it-whatsapp-image-2020-05-06-21-06-a  

French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it-whatsapp-image-2020-05-06-21-07-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it

Something like the Leadshine DCS810 would work. But you would have to replace the tach with an encoder. That is an actual tach, not an encoder, used for feedback in velocity drives. Not used in torque mode drives like the DCS810

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: French SMH 24v DC servo - need to find a drive for it

Check to see how the tach is fitted, Probabally has a coupling to the motor shaft, remove the tach and see if you can fit a through-hole encoder, they are a bit cheaper than the shaft-coupled type.
    Renco used to be a reasonable source, but the options a little limited since Heidenhain took them over, Unfortunately!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.