Plasmacam servo motor driver?

Thread: Plasmacam servo motor driver?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plasmacam servo motor driver?

I have a plasmacam DHC model machine that was built about 2004,

Controller currently doesn’t work, and I don’t have any desire to buy into the proprietary world of plasmacam any further if I can retrofit it.

I would like to use the Servo motors that are on it, if possible, but plasmacam is apparently very secretive about their proprietary stuff and as such the motor appears to have largely been scrubbed of any identity other than a part number. 90-978 date of manufacture and a serial number.

It is fitted with a Avago encoder that has some numbers on it HEDS-5540 A06. 0752A

I’d like to know where to start on trying to find a servo driver to pair with this motor, I am open to experimenting with it a little bit, as I would rather strip the electronics entirely and build my own than spend several thousand buying all the stuff from plasmacam to rebuild this machine. As such, if I can get the motors working, great, but if not they are going in the trash anyway along with the plasmacam controller.

Thanks

Duke

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plasmacam servo motor driver?

Hi,
    you can get a 400W Delta B2 series (160,000 count/rev) servo and 230VAC drive and cables delivered in the US for $380.
    They KICK ARSE!!!.

Are you really sure you want to reuse servos for which there is so little info? You could easiliy spend hours/days trying to adapt another drive to
    the servo, without any surety of success.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plasmacam servo motor driver?

No, I am not sure I want to reuse the servo’s

I am fairly certain that I am not the only person that has wanted to retrofit an older plasma cam since these have been out for over 20 years, so I wanted to draw on the knowledge of anyone that has already gone to the trouble of figuring out what these motors are enough to give me a jump start.

When these motors go in the trash, I am thinking i may go with a closed loop stepper instead of a Servo for cost reasons.

Thanks
    Duke