can you use a bigger drive for a ac servo

Thread: can you use a bigger drive for a ac servo

Default can you use a bigger drive for a ac servo

I have a 1kw delta ac servo drive and a .75 kw delta motor . will the drive only put out what the motor draws ? or will i burn up the motor . can you mix and match drives and motors ? i know in a perfect world you would have everything matched up

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: can you use a bigger drive for a ac servo

A larger drive than the motor should be fine, generally you can set the current limit to whatever the motor rating is.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chopdr230 View Post
    I have a 1kw delta ac servo drive and a .75 kw delta motor . will the drive only put out what the motor draws ? or will i burn up the motor . can you mix and match drives and motors ? i know in a perfect world you would have everything matched up
    Delta drives are usually matched to specific delta motors, so, while in theory the larger drive will run the smaller motor, the delta drive may not let you change the settings to run it. so check that first.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Delta drives and servos and I think it would be possible to use a larger drive with one proviso...the drive is expecting a servo with
    a specific type and resolution encoder, the smaller servo MUST have the same encoder.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    looking through the Delta catalogues suggest that the A series, B series and AB series may well be interchangeable as they all have 2500 line
    incremental encoders, and multicore parallel wiring to the encoder. The A,B and AB series are now getting quite dated.

The B2 series has a 40,000 line incremental encoder, called in the advertising material 17bit, and its communicated serially. Thus you could not
    use an earlier A, B or AB series drive with a B2 series servo. The B2 series is current entry level model.

The A2 series has a 1,280,000 cpr incremental encoder, called 20 bit in the advertising material, and is communicated serially. Such a servo MUST be matched
    to an ASDA-A2 drive to work. The A2 series has load sensing in addition to normal encoder sensing. It is in current production but no longer Deltas flagship
    model.

The A3 series is the latest and greatest, 24 bit multi-turn absolute with battery backup. An A3 series servo requires an ASDA-A3 drive, end of story.

If your servo and drive are from the same series then yes I would expect that you could drive a 750W servo with a 1kW drive. If they are not of the
    same series that raises questions. The A2, A3, and B2 series must be matched but the earlier A,B and AB series MAY BE able to be mixed,
    an email to Delta is in order.

Craig