No +5V to outputs?

Thread: No +5V to outputs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No +5V to outputs?

I'm doing a servo conversion on my stepper router and am completely stuck with getting the servo to spin (just X axis for now).

I have Mach3, and AKZ250 USB smoothstepper, and the servo I am trying to install is a Teknic Clearpath SDSK

My stepper setup never had any outputs, but now that I'm going to servos I need to use an output to enable the stepper.

My problem as I see it is this:
    If, under outputs, Enable1 is enabled and set to pin 4, and if I hit "RESET" in Mach3 so that the diagnostics page light "Enable1" is activated, then I should be able to use a voltmeter and read +5V from output 4 to ground, right?
    I tried toggling all the activelows, checked all the output pins, nothing I tried will allow me to read +5V at the output pins. Am I looking at this the right way? What am I missing ? How do I get an output to read +5V

Thanks for any help, much appreciated

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No +5V to outputs?

Your board, like most of them, has open collector outputs. To read 5V, you need a pull-up resistor between the output and the +5 bus.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Your board, like most of them, has open collector outputs. To read 5V, you need a pull-up resistor between the output and the +5 bus.

Thanks very much citizen that's definitely it... Sorry I am a total noob. I got the servo running now, much appreciated.

For now I just put the enable pins straight to +5V and Ground, so the motor is always enabled when it is connected to my laptop, is there anything wrong with that until I buy a resistor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Yastron View Post
    For now I just put the enable pins straight to +5V and Ground, so the motor is always enabled when it is connected to my laptop, is there anything wrong with that until I buy a resistor?
    The drawback is that the servos will not be disabled when you push the E-stop button.

Do you really need a separate pull-up resistor? Your servo input may already have it, try connecting it directly to the board output.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    The drawback is that the servos will not be disabled when you push the E-stop button.

Do you really need a separate pull-up resistor? Your servo input may already have it, try connecting it directly to the board output.
    Having the servo enable+ wire connected directly to the board output yielded no +5V to the enable pin, which is my original issue.