Axis is lost! Help

Thread: Axis is lost! Help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Axis is lost! Help

I have an old Monarch Pathfinder 32 w/ a Dynapath sys.10 controller. It's been retrofit. The flexible coupling between the X-axis drive and the sumtak optcoder (type: LEI-037-1024 source: dc 5v 150mA) needed replacement. I replaced it and when I powered the machine back up, the axis was bouncing back and forth. I believe the encoder/tachometer is out of phase or lost. I've been thrown to the wolves here so any information would be greatly appreciated. When I take the coupling off the axis just keeps feeding until E-stop is depressed.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Axis is lost! Help

Basically how do I get the drive and tach in sync? If that's even the problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you have to disconnect the wires from the encoder? It sounds like the encoder signal to the controller has been lost, or the signal is inverted.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No. I only took the encoder off to get the broken flexible coupling. Just the bolts and set screws. I powered down the machine and only removed the encoder mechanically. I kept all the wires connected.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only thing I can think of is that a wire is broken or the encoder has just failed. Is there any way you can look at the encoder output from the Dynapath diagnostic screen? Normally a counter of some kind.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll check diagnostics if available then trace wires to see if broken and get back to you. I appreciate your help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's no diagnostic screen to check the output. Only 2 pages of parameters (one input, one output) and none of them work with the encoder. The machine used to be a manual and was retrofitted with the motor to control the cross-slide (X-Axis). The guy that worked on the retrofitting and did all the servicing of this machine has retired and can't be of any help. I checked continuity for the wires and no issue.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I put machine in handle .001" and it travels .020" normally, then starts oscillating again for approx. .030" then travels normally again for the next .020" then oscillates.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only thing I can think of at this point is a damaged encoder. Does the encoder turn freely when turned with your fingers? I used to work on some industrial machines that would experience encoder failures. If you held the encoder against your ear, turned the shaft with your fingers, and heard a little ''tick'' then the encoder was bad....Just a sticky spot in the bearing, but it was enough to confuse the system.

If you own or have access to an oscilloscope, that is the best way test an encoder.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I couldn't hear any ticking. I have an oscilloscope coming in on friday. Just have to put the parts on hold until then