Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default International Rectifier IRMCK201

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

IRMCK201 has an "hardwared" function for calculate & compute the Space Vector PWM, Clark & Park Transform, PI filter.

It is also can be use for PM motor (like the one on surplus center), & induction motor.

All we have to do is to initialize the register inside the chip with the correct parameter (They have 128 register). to custumize to the right motor. The register can be access through SPI, RS-232 or Parallel port (microcontroller).

I have D/L the data-sheet and start to study for using them for my Sanyo Denki motor. I wish that anyone who interest to this chip can share the knowledge with us in this thread.

Regards,

TR2000

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just some links for everyones information:

the chip itself, IRMCK201
    http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...a/irmck201.pdf

hmm... only available in a 100-pin QFP. how easy is working with that going to be ? or are there sockets for QFP?

The IRMCS2011 reference design
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/re.../irmcs2011.pdf

and some prices (digikey):
    IRMCK201 $ 15.77
    IR2175 $ 6.25 (suggested current sensing amp, two needed per drive)

(IRMCS2011 $2398 hah

almost looks to me that interfacing with this chip will going to be as complex as doing the whole drive with a suitable microcontroller...
    comments ?

better yet, do it all on an FPGA ??

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I always favor more off-the-shelf parts because the knowledge learned can be used elsewhere. The PID code for a servo motor is actually relatively simple.

However, this chip looks good for someone who don't want to do any programming. I think it only work with a single phase motor, so it's probably not suitable for the surplus 3 phase servo at surplus center.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a list of motors that have allready been setup with this chip. Notice the Sanyo Denki's.

Darek

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails International Rectifier IRMCK201-m3ph-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I always assumed that the reason the reference design was so high is so that IR doesn't compete with their customers. They could put this controller on the IRAM/S/X/Y and have an almost complete motor drive on one package. They used to have a very similar thing with a TI DSP, it was $500.

I have looked at the IR chips, and still go back to Freescale or TI DSP, or possibly the PIC motion controller. It seems like you have just a little more flexibility and you aren't as likely to get screwed when IR gets bored of making a particular chip. I'm not sure about the Pic, but TI has a DSP that is 32 pin that will drive a three phase brushless motor. Analog devices and Freescale have chips very much like this one that are made to drive 3 phase motors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Andy55 : The IRMCS2011 is expensive, I think becouse of the software "ServoDesigner". It help us to calculate & setting the parameter (register) with the proper value for the proper AC servo. I think we do not need that software (or we could make one) if we do understand the function of each register.

H500: The software for PID is simple but we have to do alot for clark-park transform, space vector PWM, etc. and it is time-consume to the development and also for the exectution time for this function. IR have the "hardware" solution for the high speed execution time & development time. What do you think?

Edit: for the soldering of QFP100, please refer to : http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?m...nc=index&cid=4

Regards,

TR2000

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I phoned IR Friday and they confirmed the only way to get the "Servo Designer" software is with the IRMCS2011. I also asked if they had a simple load and save parameters version to which the answer was no.

Darek

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

-

Last edited by GisMo; 11-15-2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tr2000, the biggest disadvantage of the chip is that it might take a lot of work to get everything working without their software. All the knowledge that will be gain is not really useful elsewhere else.

Unfortunately, I did not find out about the 400W servos in time to get hold of any. But if I did, I would do the design using non-specialized parts. A chip like the DSPIC is highly optimized for number crunching and is easily up to the task.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know that ServoDesigner is only sold with IRMCS2011, but it is not the end of world. The register function is explained on irmck201.pdf, also there is an design guide dg-irmck201.pdf in IRF site.

The ServoDesigner communicate with the board with RS-232 (which also explain in these 2 PDF file.

Some one who can make programing on PC (C++ or Delphi) should be no problem to make the simple software to set the parameter. (I hope someone out there already start this idea).

Regards,

TR2000

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you can set the register values directly through RS-232 with hyperterminal or similar software. You just send a command with a value through your com port to the chip to set the registers.
    I don't have a lot of experience but thats the way it looks to me reading through that pdf.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The design guide states the RS232 supports two different baud rates 57,600 or 1,031,250 (pin selectable) and is US ASCII, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit and no parity. The data sheet explains the register mapping and the proper way to address them. I too believe hyper terminal should work for comunication.

Darek

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think thats a good idea to use the terminal for setting the parameter in the IRMCK201 register. After that the parameter can be saved on the serial EEPROM. Next time when the chip is up again, it will load these parameter from the EEPROM.

According to my reading on the datasheet of this chip, IRMCK201 only can be used to the speed loop control. Most of us need the Position control for the CNC aplication. Can we make one with by adding the position control loop with external Microcontroller? Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, anyone can give some cost calculation for using this chip as a AC servo driver for, let say, 400watt Surplus motor?

Rgds,

TR2000

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

anyone made any progress with the IRMCK201 ??

TR2000: the cost of the servodrive will not be dominated by the IRMCK201. You need the power-stage which is 25-40eur. Then you need to power everything, and finding 1-3 kW powersupplies is not that easy so maybe you need to build that yourself also...

anyway, I'm having a hard time deciding between the dsPIC based approach and this one, so if there's anyone that's started with this one or thinking about it, let's cooperate !

Downloads
    Uploads

Default dg-irmck201.pdf?

TR 2000,
    I don't find the design guide that you mentioned: dg-irmck201.pdf
    could you post a link or email it to me?
    If there's someone who has the knowledge to try this IC, send me a private email I will provide one irmck201 free to one person.
    thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I threw together some notes about a possible IRMCK201 based servodrive, mainly copy-paste from datasheets found on the net. see attached pdf.

If we find enough people with experience to do the schematics and pcb design so that the prototype is likely to be successfull then I'm all for it.

For my own needs I'm thinking I want the drive to run in current (torque) control mode and accept standard +/-10 V analog command signal.
    Will probably use 20 A powerstage for 1 kW servos and 10 A stage for 400 W servos.

comments anyone ?
    anyone with a power electronics background willing to help with the schematics/pcb design ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails International Rectifier IRMCK201-irmck201_notes-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here I tried to understand the pinout of the IRMCK201 by reading the datasheet.
    Seems I got most of the pins assigned to sensible functions, but there are two missing, 36 and 59... (I emailed irf about it already )

anyone got any ideas ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails International Rectifier IRMCK201-irmck201_pinout-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know how to get an Eagle library that contains IRMCK201 and other IRF parts? to start designing a board?
    thanks

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast