Stinky Coolant - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stinky Coolant

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stinky Coolant

Tramp oil is the biggest reason for stinky coolant. It's like covering up a dog turd with a plastic bag. That's why bubblers work, it breaks the surface tension. The other main reason I see coolant go bad is from how it's mixed, or not for that matter. Adding straight water is one of the biggest issues, you always want some mix, for the biocide in any half modern coolant. Another issue is how the coolant is mixed, always add concentrate to water, not water to the concentrate. Adding water to concentrate can cook off the biocide,, and can cause that jelly like separation.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Back to Waynec44's original question:
    For sure, coolants can get contaminated by bacteria. The bacteria loves the coolant, as the ingredients make great food. My shop has a weekly monitoring schedule. We'd test the ph, the concentration, and check for bacteria. We test on Fridays, read the results on Monday and treat the coolant with an anti-bacterial coolant additive if needed. This eliminates the stench that bacteria create and so keps the guys happy and free of skin rashes. We used Bug Check BF kits to test for bacteria. Manufacturer is Avalon Int'l. Corp.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Only coolant I've ever likes is blaser swisslube. Good stuff.

One shop I worked in the owner bought this cheap Chinese stuff. It was gross. When the water evaporated over the weekend it turned to a solid clump. Almost like a big block of Crisco.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12