UL certificate required for CNC machines HELP !!!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UL certificate required for CNC machines HELP !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UL certificate required for CNC machines HELP !!!!

thanks for clarification..
    mightbe the original poster can get trough on this..

for me at this point, its looking no matter he could use machines without any problem 15 or 20 year long, now he might have to completely rewiring the whole machine, or worst putting in new motors..

at this point I like to excluding the cnc routers, because theres too big mess around.. so, new machines possible pass inspections..

also my question here... okay inspector find a cnc mill, has no proper wiring, that refer the codes..

now, whos certified to rewiring a machine tool?

if codes are so strict, I think a simple electrician not..
    let me give an example here.. when I sold my first router, the buyer came to my house with electrician !!!! how I wired the plug to hook on the power....

so im sure someone could make really some light on this..

I thinking only simple, the inspection will cover , the insulation, means at 1000 volt electricity can not run trough on everything.. (1000 volt just an example)

and following this scenario, after inspection, they find many oddities, make a list and coming back..
    the frist they asking who made the wiring..

so, whos certified to rewire a machinetool? it is not a waterheater... its more complex..

generally I think, any manufacturer that capable to design a cast iron machine, and make it completely, I think there must be engineers present in that company..
    and its important, because no matter japan, usa or European or any nationality engineer, they are just learning exactly same thing..

if 35 A require 8 ga wire then all engineer will design it with 8ga..

that's why im confused a little... those brands, they are not little companies fabricating gadgets..
    even they don't have stickers, im 99 percent sure they pass a ""normal"" inspection..

except here some older bakelit relays.. but those anyway will be replaced within normal use too..

Downloads
    Uploads

i came from a small country..
    we had several factory for machine tools..

a couple of safety thing..

lights on machines only 24V.. cables, only inside steel pipe, or flexible steel shield

machinelight, and coolant or grinding attachment has own fuse INSIDE the machine

machine could be attached to power steel pipe in the concrete floor, and on th ewall a special oilfilled switch, what actually a switch and fuse in one..

so just because something made outside of us, not means would be dangerous for operators..

inspection..

when new company established or old company moved, at time all official came..

city engineer, firefighter, and safety..

they checked machines from wall, walkways sure sufficient wide, and many other thing.. they didn't checked the machines.. factories could not sell machines that not refer codes..
    electricians had to have certification, so a signature from a company was sufficient..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I was trying to help in that he does not need the expensive UL he can get ANY NRTL cert and be in code.
    Really you call pretending help

I would suggest you get an education on the subject & stop your BS

If it was that simple he would have already done it, the answer is no, that would not pass the local code requirement that he needs

In 1983, OSHA was ordered by a court to remove the specific references to UL and FMRC in a successful lawsuit brought by the private lab

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anybody went true this inspection with old machines , i will like to know if a 20 years old machine is inpected as per 2015 code , because if i have an UL cetified machine but 20 years old or even 30 years old will be UL and may not even colse of the 2015 requirements , as per example i talk to someone that bought a 2015 machine and has to do the inspection they have to replace some parts even the light has to be LED , imagine 20 years ago we do not have LED so i will have to re design the machine , as the LED how many old technology i will have to replace to comply to a 2015 codes .
    is like to buy a classic car and has to add ABS brakes,seat belts ,air bag , etc . that was not available on the 60 .

to get back to the question , does enybody knows if they look the old machines as the new ones or they have some considerations.

Downloads
    Uploads

Large truck, large forklift.
    Remove all machines and sell them to 3rd party.
    Have empty workshop inspected and approved.
    Buy machines from 3rd party and install - using GOOD electrician who can check breakers and earthing etc.
    Operate workshop.

Said only slightly in jest.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

i was thinking on take the inspection and see what they say if i have to spend more than $16000 , just certificate the one i has no to spend a lot on modifications, and remove the others from the shop for the inspection and get them back after that.

i do not what to do , because i will have to spend money i don't have

Downloads
    Uploads

i ran into the same problem!! i have cnc panel saw, cnc router, and cnc boring machines from China which only come with CE, i also bought a Holzer edge bander is a germany made machine dont come with UL Certificate. Fire marshal requires to get all UL mark on these machines!!! i just don't understand if US custom let these machines come in without UL label, why they can be sold here in the states??? as a end consumer, why do i spend $12,000 and up for each machine to get tested?? what happened to you at the end??? i don't know what to do please help!

Last edited by Jasonchen168; 04-07-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonchen168 View Post
    i ran into the same problem!! i have cnc panel saw, cnc router, and cnc boring machines from China which only come with CE, i also bought a Holzer edge bander is a germany made machine dont come with UL Certificate. Fire marshal requires to get all UL mark on these machines!!! i just don't understand if US custom let these machines come in without UL label, why they can be sold here in the states??? as a end consumer, why do i spend $12,000 and up for each machine to get tested?? what happened to you at the end??? i don't know what to do please help!

Find a shop that will certify as ETL, they guarantee it will be accepted by all authorities and is much cheaper than a full UL cert.

A local electrical panel building shop can also help you with the UL, They may be able to put a UL504 label on it much cheaper than a full UL. Overall it shouldn't cost anywhere near $12K to get this done.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonchen168 View Post
    Jim Dawson is wright try to use ETL they also handle the CE certification so they know exactly what should be change to comply with UL and they are a lot cheaper
    you may try a local electrical panel builder like Jim says .
    i try different approach that a local company did years ago but the city wont accepted that way any more , they want to see the sticker on the machine , and don't try to get the sticker and glued yourself if the city already got you because they require me the certification papers for the compliance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12