Dust extraction - ducting and noise

Thread: Dust extraction - ducting and noise

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dust extraction - ducting and noise

I'm looking at sorting out a decent extraction system for my small workshop.

Due to lack of space and cost of parts, I'm planning on buying one of these (http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?P_...=any&PT_ID=all) . The plan is to remove the motor unit and use it with some form of separator (hopefully a cyclone).

So, I've looked into the cost of 6" ducting, and it's horrific. However, 4" plastic ducting (drain pipe!) is very cheap. I was wondering if you could pair up 4" pipes (i.e. oo instead of o) as that would be close to the cross-sectional area of a 6" pipe.

As most of my tools have 4", 2 1/2" or approx 1 1/2" ports, I'd have to make/buy adaptors regardless of the size of the main and channel runs. The only concern I have is possible turbulence issues in the joins between single and dual pipe runs.

Anyone knowledgeable in this area?

Also, does anyone know of good sound deadening solutions - my workshop is in a residential area, and the distributor tells me they think this motor is over 90dB!

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi sploo,

What machinery you working with; may be you will only need to use the 4” pipe? If you are using a planer thicknesser you may have to have 6” pipe due to the long shavings they tend to make, to avoid clogging (if you were to use twin pipes shavings would clog at the joint.
    Also if a machine has a 4” out let then you should be ok with the 4”.

Question, why are you planning to convert the system to cyclone, what would be wrong with the system as is?

As for sound proofing, would the extractor be louder than your machinery? The sound from an extractor is quite low pitched so you may not get complaints from others.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy
    What machinery you working with; may be you will only need to use the 4” pipe? If you are using a planer thicknesser you may have to have 6” pipe due to the long shavings they tend to make, to avoid clogging (if you were to use twin pipes shavings would clog at the joint.
    Also if a machine has a 4” out let then you should be ok with the 4”.
    Multiple machines (though only one at a time) - router table, disc sander, drill press, bandsaw and (soon) a CNC router.

I've been basing decisions on a few things, but mainly info at Bill Pentz's site (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm). He seems to be very much of the opinion that 4" ducting isn't sufficient (and has a reasonable amount of data and calculations to back his point of view).

Question, why are you planning to convert the system to cyclone, what would be wrong with the system as is?
    The problem with the single stage collection/filtering bags is that when they're clean they let through the really small dust, and when they're full you get little suction.

I was planning on using the impellor with a cyclone, to separate most of the dust, before ejecting the really fine (invisible to the naked eye) stuff from the workshop. I believe can get away with this where I live - certainly it won't be going into any neighbour's property.

As for sound proofing, would the extractor be louder than your machinery? The sound from an extractor is quite low pitched so you may not get complaints from others.
    Good question. I'm getting conflicting info as to the volume of the unit. I should've been able to find out myself, but the delivery is late .

I can get away with short use of a router (inside a table that has soundproofing) but I'm a bit worried about running a CNC machine + dust extractor for long periods. I guess I'm just going to have to put it together and see what the noise level's like.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I've finally finished creating the dust extraction system, and it's detailed it here: http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/

The extractor itself generates a fairly low rumble, as opposed to a high pitched whine, and is (relatively) quiet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sploo View Post
    Well, I've finally finished creating the dust extraction system, and it's detailed it here: http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/

The extractor itself generates a fairly low rumble, as opposed to a high pitched whine, and is (relatively) quiet.
    very nice work... we need better dust extraction for our CNC router at work.. 4" line feeding who knows how many feet back to the blower. Barely collects dust, let alone any of the larger pieces...

Downloads
    Uploads

Some people might be interested in this so just in case...axminster sell the Fox extractor, but they also have their own brand extractor, and one of them goes up to 6000m^3 per hour...which is about 3000cfm. Ok, its twice the price of the Fox, but twice the extraction also.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...file=1&jump=12

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ConKbot of Doom View Post
    very nice work... we need better dust extraction for our CNC router at work.. 4" line feeding who knows how many feet back to the blower. Barely collects dust, let alone any of the larger pieces...
    Could well be a static pressure issue. The longer the length, and the thinner the pipe, the worse the resulting suction. Flexible hose is pretty bad too, as it's a ribbed surface. I tried to minimise the hose length wherever I could.

Still, count yourself lucky on one regard - my ceiling height is so low I still haven't managed to get a decent way of hooking a hose to the CNC machine, as there's not enough height to allow full travel over the CNC bed

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Ok, its twice the price of the Fox, but twice the extraction also.
    It is, though it's also 415V, so unless you've got that kind of juice going to your workshop...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

look good.

Have you thought about adding a pipe to the floor (with a gate)? That will provide a place for you to suck up what gets on the floor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had thought about it, but the hose going to the bandsaw is long enough for it to touch the floor, so I can sweep dust there.

Each section of ducting took quite a while to make (lots of clamps required) so the less I had to build the better!