Rash from coolant..

Thread: Rash from coolant..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rash from coolant..

Hey guys sorry if this topic has already been touched on but i cant seem to find a good thread on this.. My employer has let their coolant go for 6+ months with no change and it has gone from white to a dark tan color(from what im told). When it sits on Sunday and if first shift doesn't run it we find our coolant tanks with a layer of black algae(?) on the top.
    I got the rash first and slowly everyone on the shift started to get it, and now people from first shift are starting to talk about it. I'm just wondering if this is hazard to my health and questioning what options i have. The manager has known that it needs to get changed and that it is causing dermatitis but he doesn't care....

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rash from coolant..

No you don't need to waste your coolant, I don't think you do at least. Are you working with a synthetic or water soluble, and does it stink? If it's a water soluble coolant do you keep adding new batches of coolant to that coolant after the water evaporates? That could be a problem, a problem we might be having ourselves, I'm not sure but I think it makes the coolant more acidic; they sell tablets "we haven't tried them" that neutralize the acid and eliminates odors. Another thing is tramp oil that gets mixed into it, that could be what your seeing in your coolant is emulsified tramp oil, not algae. I'd like some info on the subject to if anyone knows anything. Your rash, does it itch, dry your hands out, and give you little bumps that itch?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rash from coolant..-img_0227-jpg

This is actually a picture of the coolant... As you can see its obviously not the right color. Also the rash gives small bums and they itch like hell.... I never got the feeling that i was dried out, But lotion after my shower does seem to help a little bit.. Also i have been told that they mix it to 95% water 5% oil as all work done is with aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have bacteria growth from not removing the tramp oils. That coolant is done. A cap full of Lysol might help, or the tablets mentioned. Either way, you need to skim that coolant. Might want to treat it before pneumonia or something worse breaks out. Not skimming tramp oil is kinda like putting a plastic bag over a dog turd.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I would talk to a coolant rep and get a biocide to add . they make something I forget what it is but kills anything living in the coolant . the downfall is you can't use the machine for 24 hr .

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe it's time for folks to start seeing a doctor for a work-related illness. When employers get asked by the state how people are being made ill at work they tend to correct issues before the fines get out of hand.

Later,
    Charlie

Downloads
    Uploads

They will know what it is from , I worked at a place that had a run of people braking out in rash / swelled hands from coolant .

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

From my experiences, rashes were a major problem for us. Coolants can get contaminated by bacteria. The bacteria loves the coolant, as the ingredients make great food. My shop has a weekly monitoring schedule. We'd test the ph, the concentration, and check for bacteria. We test on Fridays, read the results on Monday and treat the coolant with an anti-bacterial coolant additive if needed. This eliminates the stench that bacteria create and so keeps the guys happy and free of skin rashes. We used Bug Check BF kits to test for bacteria. Manufacturer is Avalon Int'l. Corp.