Beware McMaster Carr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware McMaster Carr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Beware McMaster Carr

I decided to build the Rockclikk cnc machine.
    After looking for some parts, I decided to buy the bronze sleeve bearings and motor couplings from McMaster Carr.
    I've placed the order on September 13. On September 17, I've received an email saying they cannot ship it to me.
    Below is the message from McMaster Carr:

======================================
    Dear Alex,

Thank you for your order.
    Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations,
    McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada.
    We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you,

David Ulam
    McMaster-Carr Supply Co
    330-995-5929
    ======================================

Maybe we should let our fellow canadians know about McMaster Carr policy. Anyone else had problems with them?

Alex

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Alex,

It make me wonder if other US suppliers are having the same trouble exporting and importing goods to Canada. The regulations probably work both ways.
    It is not good for either side.

Wayne

Wayne Hill

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very few problems, I guess we are "long established" enough.

Occasionally I get an email about certain fasteners in box quantity, something about "cancelled order due to Canadian anti-dumping laws.....if you wish to proceed....send us your broker info and a 75% duty will apply".
    Usually these are items that I can find here it justs takes an extra hour of my time.

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure if it just them and don't want to be bothered with us or if they have a problem. I buy different things in small quantities for my hobby's and suppliers have never said a word about sending me anything across the border. Of course there are items that can't be shipped and it is the same here but you should realize that when trying to order them.
    My attitude towards a supplier that won't sell unless you are an old established customer(how old) is not deal with them and try to find an alternative source.
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default McMaster

In the US and never had an issue.

Is this an issue with McMaster or customs or something else? There may be some issues there that makes them not willing to deal over borders.....unless there is an existing relationship.

When you aim the gun be very sure that you have the proper target before pulling that trigger.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mcmaster looks after all the brokerage themselves. This has to be a pain in the nuts in extra work/cost for them.
    I have no issues with any other US suppliers BUT all shipments from other suppliers get nabbed by my broker at the border. No problem at all, every shipment a get billed $50 extra for brokerage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It all depends on the item and the issue.

NAFTA was supposed to make things easier BUT then 9-11 hit. Now anything that can be looked at suspiciously or involves brokerage just might be too big of a paperwork PITA to deal with.

The "long established relationship" deal puts you into a "Grandfathered" situation where you have a proven track record of shipping stuff. Start figuring in "anti dumping" and god knows what other suspicious parts that might be on someone's watch list today and it is easy to see why M-C just said "to hell with it".

We sort of do the same thing in our business as the onesy twosy stuff simply doesn't pay to work on once you figure out what the business REALLy costs you do do....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Getting shipments to Canada

Perhaps folks in Canada who need to purchase something from the States should consider if they have a friend or relative here who can order it for them and forward it to them as a "gift". I know some people have had success with this method.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

To my Canadian friends. I manufacture rifle stocks and pistol grips out of wood and a couple of a wood and carbon fiber composite. If you think the Mc/Carr this is not real, try exporting a simple wooded rifle stock anywhere outside the borders of the US.

Many people around the world bash the US for our foreign policy, but it has hurt many of the regular US citizens as well. Would I change it? Nope!

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

alecu7
    do you have a princess auto anywhere near you , they've got bronze bushings at a reasonable price , roughly 5 bucks for two on most sizes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's not only canada, they won't ship anywhere internationally at the moment. I had the same problems ordering from them to South Africa

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    alecu7
    do you have a princess auto anywhere near you , they've got bronze bushings at a reasonable price , roughly 5 bucks for two on most sizes
    dertsap
    Actually there is one nearby. I'll go check today. Thanks.
    Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a couple of PT guys I use that are close to you.
    http://www.sbsimpson.com/contact/burlington.asp
    Hamilton@canadianbearings.com

BTW I don not buy from McMaster because of price, must of there stuff costs me more than double buying local. Calculated by part price & shipping.
    BUT
    They are the most reliable supplier I have EVER seen, I always get my parts NEXT DAY and that is STANDARD delivery (FEH). I do a lot of emergency repairs.
    For some "less than standard/oddball" stuff, I can find it in their catalogue and have it ordered (online) in under 15min. I can spend hours talking to "local suppliers" (and I really do have great local suppliers) trying to get price and availability and often they will be days to source and quote the stuff. I can't afford the time and aggravation.
    All regular items (including couplings and bushings) are stocked at SB within 1 block of here and I would never think of McMaster for them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same problem with them today. In fact I was willing to go to their warehouse in Chicago (I am in that area on business) but was told that they would not sell to me because I was Canadian and the products would end up out of the country. It is not a brokerage thing at all. It is their policy. The company I work for in Canada orders from them all the time and no problems I am aware of. I will order through work when I get home.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Found additional parts in Canada

I've found Lovejoy couplings from Princess Auto in Stoney Creek for CAD$7.97 each, and brass sleeve bearings from www.bossinc.com in Hamilton for ~$2.00/each. I didn't want to make this thread "political". In my opinion, the guys from McMaster Carr should have a notice on their web site stating they don't ship outside Canada. Also the guys from Rockcliffe (which btw are Canadians) should have made a note saying where in Canada , we Canadians, could buy the additional parts.
    All is good when it ends ok. I've finished building my machine. Now I'm waiting for may motors from www.HobbyCNC.com.
    I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Try MSC Industrial Supply

Having had problems myself with McMaster Carr, I searched out other companies.

Check out www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

I sent them an email about accounts in Canada and here is their reply,

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting MSC Industrial Supply regarding our merchandise. We do accept orders from Canada and you can call customer service at 800-645-7270 to setup an account and to place an order. We are not able at this time to accept orders over the internet for Canada. You can set up an account on a 30 day net program by going to the website, clicking on "Customer Support" and downloading the credit application and mailing it back to the credit department or you can just use a credit card.

I hope this has answered all of your questions and hope to see you as a customer soon

Thank you,

Gay Johnson X7115
    MSC E-commerce
    10am to 7pm PST
    Fernley, Nevada
    800-793-7970

They have branches all over the US and seem to have as big a selection as McMaster Carr. See what you think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's good to find out I am not alone!

I found this forum searching for information about "McMaster" and "Canada" because of a recently denied order. Mine was the same as the first post:
    Thank you for your order.

Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada . We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you,

David Ulam
    McMaster-Carr Supply Co
    330-995-5929
    The crazy thing is that this is by far not the first time I have ordered stuff from them. However, this was the first time I wanted the stuff delivered to my home address in Canada. So I wrote them back and asked for the order to be reinstated, only use the US mailing service address that I had used every other time in the past.

They wrote back:
    We will not ship to a US address if it is known this is for eventual export, so we have cancelled this order. We apologize for any inconvenience.

David
    McMaster-Carr
    So what is it? The "increasing complexity of United States export regulations" or they don't like Canadians?

It sucks... it so convenient to hunt down the odd stuff that I need, and the site is the most user friendly online store I have ever used. I can spend as much time as I want getting my order right without some counter jockey rolling his eyes. And the shipping has always been outstanding!

Anyways, long story short, I redid the order using only my US mailing service, and the last time I checked, McMaster.com said it had shipped. Problem is, the site's "Order History" section is broken right now, and I can't get an an update. Oh well... I'll just wait for the mailing service to call and tell me my stuff is there.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you think that buying something is a PITA, try flying.

You have to show a passport for DOMESTIC travel and then you get looked at as if you're a criminal. YOu also have to take off your shoes (tenns but not other) thanks to some idiot who tried to blow up the plane with his Nike's and so on and so forth.

It used to take 5 minutes to get thru flight check - now, you'd better plan on at least an hour and MORE like 2 if it is on a holiday weekend. And this is to travel from one US city to another!!

You're trying to cond8uct "international business - I was just trying to GET HOME!!!!

And all this to find that, in spite of the "security" TSA STILL found ways to get contrabanded materials passed the "security" check ins. Apparently, the PERCETION of security is more important than the true and proper EXECUTION of security measures.

Frankly, after dealling with that B/S, I too would NOT want to have to put up with the export inspections and such that have been implemented. It literally is NOT worth the busienss lost.

In spite of NAFTA, our friends north of the border had better write off McM carr - the export laws are now simply too much of a PITA to deal with anymore - and for that matter, so is interstate and in some cases intercity air travel!!!!

Your tax dollars and Federal Government are being used "properly" to "protect you".
    Yeah,sure!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

An update: I ordered the exact same stuff as the initially rejected order, but had it shipped to a US mailing address. This time I made no mention of Canada at all... and the order was delivered in two days.

Which is weird, because it was an order placed from Canada, by a Canadian, on a Visa registered in Canada, and the parts eventually ended up in Canada. I guess as longs as the order makes no mention of an out of US export, the can claim ignorance if they ever get into trouble?

Downloads
    Uploads

Still no trouble. We order at least once weekly and shipment arrives next morning.
    PITA or not, these guys are good - no - they are the BEST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast