Newbie IGUS round bar and slide bearings

Thread: IGUS round bar and slide bearings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default IGUS round bar and slide bearings

looking to build CNC router with moving gantry for our robotics club. We compete in...
    The FIRST Tech Challenge Game Page | USFIRST.org (we are defending world champs ))

Several years ago you donated plans for an "A" series machine, but we just never finished it... seemed like we always had something to build for the robot, and we got this machining donated, and so on. Last year we had access to the predecessor to this ... <http://www.rockler.com/cnc-shark-hd-30> (Mostly bolted together UHMW or some other plastic) We used it to drill and cut the major plates (about 600 holes in 6ea 18"x18" x 0.25 sheets of lexan) for the our robot and it worked beautifully using a DeWalt router motor and a custom spindle collet so we could do 1/8" shank (and thereby use PC board carbide drill bits), plus 1/4" shank stuff. We have lost access to that machine, and I'd really like to have a machine here in our shop so the kids get versed in how to make these parts.

We have a 3D printer and I have several kids that can design, save to STL, send to printer and print the part - we have 30 ish 3D printed parts on our last robot, and they performed great. But we need to add this CNC router as another tool in our shop (a lazer engraver/cutter would be good too, but...).

saw this page - can you give dimensions of your unit, please?
    https://www.rockcliffmachine.com/pro...lans-download/

we have a pair of 1" dia x 43.25 (1100mm) in ... igus
    and a pair of 0.625 x 34.5"(?90mm) for the gantry?

plus these bearings (which are designed for a "press fit" - and thus are loose on the shaft without said press fit. We can build aluminum split block bearing holders out of alum or UHMW or ...
    igus

Most of our work is lexan plates - up to 20" square - drilling holes, bigger holes and cutting outlines. maybe some aluminum, but I do have a bridgeport CNC at my farm shop that can do aluminum (13" x 30") and we still have access to a waterjet that can do alum and steel for us, so....
    What do you think? Can we get a couple thousandths accuracy out of of your moving gantry machine? I will work on an antibacklash system - do I need multiple lead screws or can I just do some 1/2" or 5/8" single lead ACME? I have Some NEMA 23 motors - probably 270 ish ozin torque and some geckos and probably 48 V power supply and a donated MACH3 license, so I think I'm in pretty good shape if an MDF machine can be rigid and accurate enough.