Model D with fully supported rails and pillow blocks.

Thread: Model D with fully supported rails and pillow blocks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Model D with fully supported rails and pillow blocks.

I am just about to start making the Rockcliff model D. I'd like to use fully supported linear rails rather than the skate bearings but I was wondering a few things in regards to it:

Firstly... is it a good idea? Worth while doing?

Secondly.... how to substitute. I have seen another member use the rail for the x-axis and the z-axis I'm pretty sure is straight forward but the y-axis should I just fix the rail top and bottom (straight swap for the runner blocks steel shaft) or fix them onto the flat part of the gantry?

Thanks very much! Im sorry for the, probably, simple questions but I want to get in all right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Model D with fully supported rails and pillow blocks.

I had looked at the Rockcliff design before going the CNCRP way.. As for the "worth doing" question, ask yourself this, what do I want to do with it? how tight on tolerances do I need to be? Are you going to want a bigger machine later? If no on a bigger machine, then it may be worth the money for fully supported linear rails. You can upgrade the basic design with better materials than MDF as you gain experience.

I know I'll want a bigger CNC table, the design i bought allows for double the size later while keeping all the drive components. No having to re buy the same parts cut to a longer size.