Make rhinocam work after upgrade to rhino6?

Thread: Make rhinocam work after upgrade to rhino6?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Make rhinocam work after upgrade to rhino6?

Hello All,
    I upgraded rhino from 5 to 6 a few months ago and just noticed today that rhinocam wont load.
    I use rhino mostly for two dimensional drawing for my plasma cutter so I've been taking the dxf file to enroute for the output to my machine.
    My table is a convertible one for a router as well and last week I moved it back to do a job.
    To my surprise however, I cant get rhinocam to load.
    Has anyone found a workaround for this other than reinstalling 5?
    Rhino cam wants over 1k for an upgrade.
    My small business barely makes 2k a year (as this is my side job).
    I'm quite appalled, usually older add ons will still work, even if limited.
    I feel like mecsoft is doing this just to gouge their customers.
    It's especially frustrating to me as I never got to use the original program as my machine was set for plasma all last year.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Matt

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Make rhinocam work after upgrade to rhino6?

Mecsoft isn't doing this to "gouge" their customers. When the program their CAM module plugs into is upgraded, they have no choice but to modify their module to work with it. And when they do all the work of developing a new version of their software, they feel they deserve to get paid for it. If you don't want to upgrade to the latest version that's compatible with Rhino6, why not just stick with Rhino 5, and the RhinoCAM version that works with it? It doesn't sound like you need any of Rhino 6's new features, if you're just using it for 2D work.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This does seem like a bit of a gouge as the last upgrade was only 300 per several members here and on practical machinist. That is not the point. The point is I'm looking for a way to use what I already paid for (rhino cam 2016) with what I've already paid for (Rhino 6). Rhino 6 has had several interface upgrades that cause less frustration. Rhino 6 itself was less than 400 upgraded, and I look at cam ware like an add on.

I've re-installed Rhino 5 and and exporting projects form Rhino 6 as Rhino 5 files... the files are still interpreted differently and it's leading to problems..

Does anyone have a way theyve found to get an older rhinocam to work in Rhino6?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the price of the upgrades you're looking for, but you need not one but two upgrades: 2016 to 2017, and 2017 to 2018, The price of them combined comes to $750 at list, if you're using the Standard version of RhinoCAM. I can do a little better for you if you place the order with me: your price for those upgrades would be $675. Of course, if you want to avoid this problem in the future, you can save money by paying maintenance, which costs $300 per year for the Standard version. That would get you all upgrades issued within a calendar year of your purchase.

I don't think there's any way to make Rhino 6 work correctly with a RhinoCAM version designed for Rhino 5; as you've noticed, there are a lot of differences between the two versions of Rhino, which take a lot of work for developers of plug-ins to keep up with, more than is required for a normal upgrade with a basically unchanged version of the underlying program.

Andrew Werby
    computersculpture.com

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm encountering the same issue and I whole heartedly agree. I'm a 65 year old hobbyist and I'm enrolled in a Luthier course at a community college. With that, I've taken advantage of the educational package of Rhino5 for a little over a hundred bucks. The Rhinocam plugin has unfortunately no educational program so it's full tilt or walk away. As a hobbyist I'm not generating income from this machine. Consequently I'm looking for a third party alternative for my cam needs that does not require a costly upgrade every time my cad software upgrades. Frankly, the upgrades I'm really interested in will be on the cad side anyway. That's the greatest learning curve and where most of my time is spent. It's also where I get the greatest bang for my buck. As long as I can create a toolpath that cuts accurately on 4 axis, do I really care how old the software is? Being forced to upgrade both packages is simply cost prohibitive. A note to rhinocam: Others have figured out that what people learn on in school is likely what they will continue to use. You might want to consider offering a reasonable pricing structure for those of us whom are seeking formal education in the industry. Just sayin. That said, I'd be interested in hearing any comments or recommendations on other stand alone cam packages that may be a more cost effective solution. Currently I'm modeling in Rhino5 and just importing my models into aspire and toolpathing from there. Not a great solution but it's gotten me by so far. Thanks Rich

Downloads
    Uploads

Rhino has to be right at the top end of the bang-per-buck list, shame that T-Splines doesn't seem to be available any more.

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt, when you buy next generation of car you own for years, do you think floor matt should fit perfectly there?
    Rhino 6 is new compiled software. It looks similar but have different structure, first of all it's x64 architecture now. All plugins should be recompiled too.
    MecSoft already offer RhinoCAM for Rhino 6. Latest build i have is 8.0.28. It can work in FreeMill mode - simple 2D routing, exactly what you need.
    You can request your copy for this product from MecSoft and use it absolutely free. BTW, it's x64 too, so first of all you should check and may be upgrade your Windows system, and possibly, your hardware.
    BTW, what dramatical interface improvement you mentioned about? Is it cost all this spences?