I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Poolrod2,

Is the issue resolved or do you still need suggestions?

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    Here is the Scanned model again. Thank you, everyone for working on this and sharing ideas.

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Poolrod2,

Is the issue resolved or do you still need suggestions?

Jeff...
    Not even close to resolved, any help would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Thanks poolrod2

Ted
    http://www.RhinoCanada.com or http://www.ted-kyte.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Not even close to resolved, any help would be great.
    Attached is an iges of the outside contour. The raised area is .500" high and the ends on that section is where the curved back section end.
    You can use these planar surfaces to create planes and add sketches to recreate the neck contour using whatever software will work.
    I believe the radius was about 1 5/8" on the original scanned file. You will have a difficult time adding the blended radius to both the head and heel since I believe it was done by hand. The closest I came was with a sweep cut and 2 guide paths created with 3D sketches. I was about to try using a deformed surface feature when I realized the amount of time I had it this just because of my curiosity, so I stopped. Both Warren and I have put toolpaths to this project, it can be done with Mastercam using solids, X5 has that capacity. Yes, the scan is not perfect, but it's not bad either, with a little sketch work the irregular area can be repaired. Doing so along with adding a little to the overall model for sanding and finishing should provide anyone the means to use the scanned model with great success. I can't believe anyone would use a scanned image as is without any finishing.

my .02

Scott

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Did here too warren...

Ted
    http://www.RhinoCanada.com or http://www.ted-kyte.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy New Year everyone, thank you for your help on this. I can easily profile the outside with a silhouette boundary and use tabs to hold it in the frame, and then hemstitch both sides, but I would like to just hemstich the radius part of the neck and volute's and the radius from the neck to the head face. I tried to make surfaces and extrude .001 thou, and those small rectangles are driving me crazy,lol. Below is a pic of a model I made, but my radius to th hell and head are wrong. Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs-completed-bottom-jpg   I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs-completed-top-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Oi! Chiming in here.

In order to recreate this guitar with a somewhat successful smooth model, you could probably just use many many intersecting planes to grab the 'ribs' of the original and create a smooth network surface.
    Enclosed is an example of what I did to re-create the IGES but with smooth surfaces. The layers in the Rhino3D File are named for the intersecting planes I used (I basically MRI'd the original, hahaha - the more intersecting planes you use, the smoother the result will be, so mine is rather rough, but the theory is sound). Then I just wirecut and fenagled the surfaces closed.

One guitar neck is your original with the spiderweb-looking surfaces. The other is my recreated version using Networks, Sweeps, and Wirecuts.
    It took me maybe an hour? It solves the problem with sweeping the neck round-to-square blend, but the resulting solid is rough.
    Since it's a guitar, I imagine you will be sanding the hell out of it to smooth it out though... so maybe it's still OK?
    There's a RED layer (turned off) with the original IGES directly overlapping mine, so you can compare them. They're rather similar, and did not take too long...

Again, this is mostly an example of one way to recreate an annoying objects's surface blends without getting too technical. Quick and dirty.

I'm not sure if this helps, but have at it, and good luck!
    You're welcome to just grab the neck half-pipe I created (whether part of it or all of it) and use it to adjust the IGES that was provided earlier by ab.machineshop, too. Perhaps between all of the stuff we have provided you can Frankenstein yourself a proper guitar neck, haha.

EDIT: Also, note that you have to export the guitar neck to IGES format, as I kept it in Rhino 3D NURBs format for this example.

Last edited by Jorge-D-Fuentes; 01-02-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added a note. Added a suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy New Year everyone, thank you for your help on this. I can easily profile the outside with a silhouette boundary and use tabs to hold it in the frame, and then hemstitch both sides, but I would like to just hemstich the radius part of the neck and volute's and the radius from the neck to the head face. I tried to make surfaces and extrude .001 thou, and those small rectangles are driving me crazy,lol. Below is a pic of a model I made, but my radius to th hell and head are wrong. Cheers.
    Lets be clear. You are not asking for a "solid model".... You are asking to have all those patch surfaces (which ARE stitched into a solid) be reworked to be "single contiguous surfaces" (Where applicable) As if it were "Modeled"!!!

Here are the bones though.

You "Have" a polygon model (A bunch of tiny, flat, diced up surfaces. Which in and of itself is [Not precise]....

You, or you had someone, create a NURBS object from the mesh! (The current IGES file)

The problem though, is there is no real 2d/3d profiles defining the parts (This is really the underlying thing with NURBS).. You have small surface patches actually crossing what should be a border.

to compound that, the original NURBS from mesh conversion, just produced terrible geometry anyway (Try shading the neck areas and zoom in on it!

I merged 98% of those little patches together. The result is horrible!

You said "you can get the profiles you need, you just need the curved surfaces to machine!" Is that correct? If so, just use the original polygon model for the machining process. Use your own created profiles and edges for edge work..

Trying to do what you are trying to do here is easier to just make it in CAD to start.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I think I can extract some of the surfaces that you created and copy them on to the original model. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct, as long as I have a drive surface on the parts that need hemstitched, without hemstitching the majority of the neck, that would be great. I have a straight stl that hasn't been modified if that is workable. Attached.

Last edited by poolrod2; 01-03-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The conclusion here is you want someone to model this neck for free. This guy just advertised he will do modelling for free.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/rfq-re...ml#post1983366

His cnczone user name is "Lockdown"

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, Warren for your time.

Downloads
    Uploads

when you open it in Solidworks, and run the mouse around it, it has trailing rectangles, not a solid. Thank you very much for trying though. 3d printing mumbai india

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.
    I came across a custom reverse engineering solution in Rhino.
    It seems to be called Mesh2Surface

Downloads
    Uploads

We have this plug-in. I highly recommend it for these types of tasks.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12