Build Thread ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall View Post
    Looking great Kurt, I do not know if i have seen a thread where anyone gets there machine put together and then moments later is cutting parts on it. You must have had the control system totally figured out before you finished assembling your machine.
    I did have the control system mostly figured out, but I am using LinuxCNC and MESA hardware which is extremely easy to set up. Much easier to get going than Mach# in my experience.

I already have potentiometer feed and rapid overrides and an MPG hooked up, it was a piece of cake. I still don't have a power supply for the motors (I'm running them all off a 6A 48V SMPS and they draw up to 8.2A each) or limit switchers, though.

I guess I should cover some of the LinuxCNC stuff here, a know several people who seem scared of it . . .

Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Chai going to replace it for you? I can go ahead and order the ball screws if he wants an order to send the nut over with. Let me know and we can work out the details.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the appeal to the mach software is everyone uses it and there is a lot of info out there to be found. I have no problem using a lesser known/used software as long as it meets the needs of the machine its running. If you have it all figured out, i may have to lean on you to school me on how to set it up and use it.

I have a few big power supplies that are rated at 48v power at 55amps off 220v single ph. They are coherent units or made for coherent by PowerOne I think. I also have a 48v 100amp unit which is 3ph that is going on my beam dynamics laser machine to power up that Coherent K300. I also have some HP server power supplies, I think they may have to separate 12v outputs that may could be run in series to get 48v, I will have to dig those out and see. I had purchased them to make a charging station for RC lipos rather than using a 12v battery.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, I think Chai it going to replace the nut. I don't have any backlash to speak of in the X right now so I may just have him send it with your order whenever you make it if that is OK.

I made the first real part on the mill this evening. It is the plate that will support the column end of the control panel arm I cut the parts for yesterday. Having more time than money I would normally cast a blank for a part like this, but the other day I fount some .75" thick aluminum plate in the dumpster at school so I used that.

Making some chips.

The plate had a big pocket in it from its previous life so I called that the back and made the pocket bigger and pretended it was part of the design. Weight savings you know Ignore the slight programming oversight with pocket chamfer, I temporarily forgot that a .5" end mill does not produce a sharp corner!

It was the first part I have made (at home) were I had to turn the part over and finish the outer contour. The two passes lined up within about .5 thou I'd say, I can just barely feel a slight step so I am very pleased. (It looks like a big step in the picture above, I promise the camera is lying.) I did not do anything fancy, just set Y-zero on the vice jaw put the part in and tightened the vice. I though my cheap vice might flex enough that it would be off, but it did not so I am very pleased.

Here is the finished part. Hope you like the yellow antiqued finish, I spent a lot of time on that.

In place were the Z-crank once was. The big hole is for the the wires form the control panel to pass thru into the column and then down to the electrical box.

Thanks for looking!

Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to find a dumpster like the one your digging around it. haha

Looking good as usual. I heard back from Jinting on the motors but, it was last night about 3am. I hope I can get a deal worked out and have my motors on the way soon.

As for the ball screws, absolutely you can have your ball nut included in my shipment. I have not contacted him to place an order as of yet. If your in touch with him maybe i should just send the you money and you can place the order and I can pick it up from you? I just need to adjust my bearing mounts to the face mount type and get a little longer Y axis screw, it think the rest would be the same.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Hall; 02-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kurt, love the conversion you are doing. Question, how are you running it on the small power supply pictured earlier in the thread. I am doing a similar conversion on a Charter Oaks mill using the same motor kits as you. I looked at Automated Technology, and they size their kits with a big $200. - 20 Amp unit.

I am hoping you will tell us more (like good detail) about the Linux/Mesa setup you are using. I am a retired Mechanical Engineer with a long background in tooling and machinery design. Thanks for posting, it looks a fun build that you can be proud of. I am not to far from you over in S.C. Thanks
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Michael, thanks for your interest!
    I really don't know how I am getting away with that little power supply, it is way undersized. It should technically only be able to run one of those motors since is is rated at 6.5A @ 48V (motors are 8.2A at 70V, I think). However it is able to run all three axis at a very good clip (300ipm X & Y 200ipm Z) simultaneously with out a problem. I am on a tight budget but I am going to get an Antek 15.9A @ 63V linear power supply in the near future. I think a decent rule of thumb is 75% of total motor current for sizing stepper motor supplies, so that Automation Technology supply is sized about right but I think I'll be OK with the 16A Antek given the performance I get with that little switch mode supply I have now. We will see!

I am enjoying the LinuxCNC/MESA side of the conversion almost as much as the mechanical side. I had never been exposed to Linux before starting this conversion, but I have come to like Linux so much that I would be willing to ditch Windoze if I could. I will try to explain the LinuxCNC controll setup as best I can, though I am not quite sure were to start. I guess I should follow the Kings advice to Alice in Wonderland "Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop".

Those Charter Oaks machines are nice. Do you have the one with heaps of travel or the one that is about the same size as mine? Are you documenting the conversion anywhere? You have a career's more of ME experience than me so I'd like to see what you are up to.

Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Job Kurt;
    I also would enjoy the Linux discussion you mentioned above since I plan on using linux (maybe pathpilot)t on My RF45 revamp! I have the electronics and motors for a DMM Tech setup using large Nema 34 model 92 motors. Should provide plenty of torque for the little machine. I'm going to build a computer for the system using the components and a power supply inside a hoffman enclosure. I'm planning to load only linux and not use windows at all but again, I'm completely new with this setup. I would like to get away from Mach and go to a more simple format!

Michael.
    Where are you located in SC? I'm close to the Inman area!
    Thanks again for posting Guys!
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kurt, I have the so called big Charter Oaks mill. I have not documented my conversion. I am working on some SW assemblies that will show how I am using the belt drives with Timken tapered bearings. The belt drives are housed in 4"x2" rectangular tubing with snap in plastic end caps. It is a really easy to build design that eliminates belt guards, etc. There are no big chunks of aluminum to buy and machine. I have constructed a couple of prototypes that look good. I will post some pics or pdf's. I use SW, which I still have a home license from the company I retired from that still works. We had 125 licenses for NX and SW. I found NX to be too expert for me, but the people that reported me liked it.

Bill, I am near Rock Hill and York, so we are fairly close. I am in the middle of building a Resto-Mod 1967 Corvette with a Tube chassis (space frame) and needed a mill to make various parts for the car. I also have a little 10" G0602 lathe which works quite well for car stuff.

I sold most of my machine shop equipment when I recently moved from Colorado to S.C. I have used and are somewhat familiar with Haas tool-room mills and lathes..
    Had a Plasma-Cam machine, Bridgeport mill, 14 inch lathe. Kept my Tig welder, two band saws, compressor, belt sanders, drill press, car lift, and other easy stuff to move. I have everything in a three car garage.
    When I retired and moved, I thought I would never want to do this kind of thing again, but I was wrong. This will be on a much smaller scale though. Thanks for listening to me babel, Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill, are you going to have a separate NEMA enclosure for the computer components? I am planning on using a Mini-ITX motherboard for the LinuxCNC control and placing it in the 20x20x6" MEMA enclosure with everything else. It will be a compact setup but I hope I won't have problems with noise from the close proximity to the axis motor drives. I will likely put the VFD in a separate box as that is the main cause of noise problems it seems.

The CNC control is the only computer I have that is not multi booting WinXP, 7 & 10 and various Linux distros. This lets me disable the boot menu which make startup faster. It is running Ubuntu 12.04 and I have it setup to start LinuxCNC on boot so about 10s after pushing the power button I'm ready to go. I run Solidworks 2016-17 and HSMworks on a Win7 PC that I have networked with the Linux box so when I post G-code it is immediately available to LinuxCNC and I don't have to mess with a thumb drive.

I would like to give PathPilot a try but I have not been able to get it to compile from the source code. Have you found a source of a precompiled version? As I understand the only real advantage of PathPilot over LinuxCNC is the GUI, and there are major disadvantages since it is tailored specifically for the Tormach machines. I started making a new LinuxCNC GUI that was a Haas mimic intended for use with keyboard only. It was looking good but there was a lot more to do and I decided to go with a touch screen so I am now using Gmoccapy which I am very satisfied with.

Here is a screen capture of Gmoccapy for those not familiar with it. I have it running full screen so there is no window border or gnome panel visible leaving the screen real estate available for Gmoccapy.

Where should I start with LinuxCNC? Should I start with installing Ubuntu or is that too basic?

Michael, I have family in York and make it up there from time to time. Sounds like you have some interesting projects going. I have a G0602 too, it is a very decent lathe for the money.

Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Kukrt;
    Basic is good! I've never worked with Ubuntu before so any guidance is appreciated. My little home shop has a Bridgeport, a 9" TTC (Travers Tool) gear head lathe, a 13" Harbor Freight gap bed lathe, a 4 X 4 foot home built cnc router, a sherline cnc for engraving and the latest addition is the Torus Pro. I'm just a hobby machinist but like most here, once you get the cnc bug, well, you know the rest! My shop tools are the result of many years of buying and rebuilding. My next project after the RF45 rebuild, well, I've never owned, operated or heck, even seen a CNC lathe! That little 9 inch might just grow motors!

Love the screen.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'll see what I can come up with for a "Tutorial" on setting up LinuxCNC. I've kept some notes so it should not be to difficult.

I like hearing what all you have in your your shops. I guess while we are on (or off?) the topic I will list my meager collection. Shop is a 1.5 car garage with mezzanine level that provides lots of storage for stuff that should have been thrown out long ago. I have a HF branded Sieg 7x10" lathe and all my reference books, catalogs, caps screws, bearings ect. upstairs (ladder). Downstairs there is a G0602, Jet 14" vertical bandsaw w/ riser, HF 4x6" horizontal bandsaw, HF bead blast cabinet, 20 capacity 3000F crucible furnace, oxy acetylene rig, HF shop press, and a fully equipped wood shop with powermatic jointer etc.

Bill, is the little TTC lathe you have similar to a Sieg? I might convert my Sieg, but the G0602 looks envious of the mill already . . .

Kurt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kurt, I am a complete beginner at the whole Linux thing, so yes start from start, but if it's just a deal where you follow the prompts then not so much detail is needed. I have watched some YouTube videos by"Russtuff" and few others using Linux and it appeared to be fairly easy to set up. But, I know how one tiny over-sight can spoil the entire process.
    I have been on Mesa's web store looking at combo boards for Linux. I think I am interested in their model 7I78-5I25 PLUG-N-GO KIT for Linux at $159. I get the impression that these kits are flashed for LinuxCNC, but I think I will call them tomorrow and get the lowdown and download a manual or something. This kit is for four axis with spindle control and maybe more. One board plugs into a PCI or PCIE slot in the computer and the other goes into your control panel connected by the included plug in wiring. Have you scoped any of these out for your long range plans? Comments all? Thanks, Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Default LinuxCNC - Mesa Cards

Michael, since you are looking at the Mesa hardware I will go ahead start there, it makes the most sence to start with the hardware anyway.

LinuxCNC is advanced motion control software that runs on a real time operating system. A real time OS process data as it comes in without buffering delays, and can generate very accurate pulse trains. Typically LinuxCNC is run on one the the various Linux flavors with a special RT kernel, but it was originally developed and tested by NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) on the not so real time and very temperamental Windows NT OS [1] [2] [3].

LinuxCNC is very versatile and can be set up to interface with hardware (stepper/servo drives. VFDs, control panels, etc.) in several different ways.

Parallel Port
    The most simple interface is thru the parallel port, which is basically the same as a vanilla Mach3 setup, same BOB, wiring etc. In fact, if you have the control PC set up to dual boot Win and Linux you can switch back and forth between Mach3 and LinuxCNC simply by booting into the corresponding OS. I did this for a while when I was just starting to experiment with LinuxCNC.

While the parport interface is cheap (free in most cases) the LinuxCNC parpor has the same shortcomings as the Mach3 parport, namely low max step rate, limited IO ports for relays, etc. For many applications the parport is sufficient, but if not hardware interface cards are available that work with LinuxCNC. These cards can be though of as analogous to a smoothstepper for Mach#.

Interface Cards
    I am only familiar with the Mesa electronics interface cards, though there are others that work with LinuxCNC. Mesa makes a huge variety of interface cards that cover every possible LinuxCNC application. Step and directions cards, servo cards, control panel cards that handle key pads and displays and practically anything else you could imagine needing for automation control. These cards are modular and as far as I know all can be mixed and matched to fit the applications. Since the Mesa documentation is good I will only cover the two cards I am using; the 5i25 Superport and the 7i76 Step and Direction & IO daughtercard card.

5i25 Superport FPGA based PCI Anything I/O card
    The 5i25 is a Field-Programmable Gate Array card that fits in the PCI card bus found in most computers. Unlike the USB or Ethernet bus (used by a smothstepper) the PCI bus is real time. The 5i25 has two 25 pin IO ports that have the same pinout as a parport. One is in the form of DB25 connector (same as a parport) and the other is an onboard header that can be broken out to another DB25 connector on the back of the PC if desired. Though they look the same these are by no means standard parports. They are capable of high speed hardware step generation, quadrature encoder counting, PWM generation, digital I/O, Smart Serial IO and much more.

Since the DB25 pinout is the same as a parport you can use two standard BOBs with the 5i25 (Hence the name Superport I suppose). This gives you the advantage of the high step rate possible with the hardware step generation while still being a very economical setup. I believe this is what Tormach is doing.

However, Mesa makes several different daughtercards for use with the 5i25. These range from fairly basic BOB like cards (7i78) for steppers, to glorified BOBs that give you 48 general use field IO, 6 axis servo interface with high speed hardware encoder counting, isolated spindle control with encoder, and Serial expansion port (7i77). Any two of the daughtercards can be connected to a 5i25 via the DB25 connectors given the appropriate firmware is flashed to the 5i25.

For my setup I am using a 5i25 and the 7i76 daughtercard.

7i76 Step & dir plus I/O daughtercard
    The 7i76 daughtercard is the stepper version of the 7i77. The 7i76 interfaces 5 axis step&dir, has isolated spindle control with high speed encoder counter, 48 general purpose IO and serial expansion port for additional cards. I chose the 7i76 because I needed the additional IO for the control panel switches, MPG, limits etc. The 7i76 has the option to use four of the IO as analog inputs, which is perfect for potentiometer overrides.

Here are pictures of my 5i25 and 7i76

I purchased the 5i25 and 7i76 cards from John Thornton who is one of the main supporters of LinuxCNC and is a Mesa distributor. I can not recommend him enough. Within a few minutes of placing the order online he emailed saying he was getting ready to box up my order and asking what I was going to use the cards for so he could flash the appropriate firmware for me. I got the cards two days later and they worked right out of the box. I would not recommend ordering direct form Mesa (mesanet.com) as their shipping is higher and very slow (took months for a colleague at Georgia Tech to get his cards) and the cards were not preflashed with the right firmware.

I have no connection with John Thornton, other then being a very satisfied customer. Here is his website: mesaus.com

Here is a link to the Plug-N-Go kit I ordered: https://mesaus.com/index.php?route=p...&product_id=78

Here are manuals for the 5i25
    http://www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/5i25man.pdf

and 7i76
    http://mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/7i76man.pdf

I wrote this quickly, without enough coffee, and about a subject I know nothing about, hope it does not contain too much bad information.

Some mostly unrelated but interesting reading:
    [1] http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/emc-history.html
    [2] http://www.theragens.com/misc/mr%20-...0real-time.htm
    [3] http://www.merl.com/publications/docs/TR98-02.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank Kurt;
    Good info to have. I've never worked with anything but Mach so a learning curve is required. I did purchase a 5I25 card to be coupled with the dedicated computer all to be enclosed in the hoffman box. Sounds like it is going to get a bit crowded though. At this time, the box sill contain the computer, power supply, DMM Tech Power Supply, DMM break out board, 3X DMM DYN drives, circuit board for the power draw bar, a second BOB (C10?), a couple of solid state relays, the battery for the PDB, switches and lamps. The VFD is going to be mounted external (somewhere????). Looking forward to getting started with linux. Thanks for your help.
    Love this place.
    Bill

billyjack

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kurt, good background information on Linux and Mesa boards. I went ahead and ordered the same combo you have. Since the 7I76/5I25 "Plug & Go" kit is only $40 more, why not. I may have to get advice from you on the connections if I get stuck somewhere. I also have that An-Tek power supply on the way that you mentioned earlier in the thread. It is about $202 delivered from New Jersey. I have had the motor/driver kits ordered from Sutai of China. These are a steal compared to buying them locally. The delivered price I got is $401 for all three kits. Ada Chen agreed to share the transportation cost when I asked for a way to ship them economically. It was about $101. So the motor kits are $300 forgiving shipping. They are coming DHL. My electronics cabinets are 16" x 20". I have two that I bought from a surplus dealer that someone mentioned in another thread. They are light gray powder coated with nice seals and three closing latches. They were made for a Solar Panel outfit. Very nice for $40 each. Thanks, Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill, glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't fit the VFD in the main control box! What type of PDB do you have that requires a battery? Electric impact driver is the only thing that comes to mind, which, come to think about it, is a great idea. Humm, I have an old one sitting around that just needs new brushes, I might have to give that a try.

Michael, I think you will like the Mesa cards. The pinouts are a bit cryptic in the manuals but I'd be more than happy to help out if I can. (When the time comes shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number. I'm really, really, slow at typing.) I was hopping somebody had made a graphical pinout diagram, but I could not find one. Maybe I'll make one and share it here.

Wow, sounds like you got a great deal on the axis motors! How did you manage to get them to ship DHL that cheap? Guess I was just too nice . . .

I was originally planning to fab my electrical box since I am being paid in sheet metal at school (Since I graduated I won't work for free anymore!). I got lazy though when I found a good deal on a 20" x 20" Hoffman enclosure. Hope it is big enough. I do like the idea of having two smaller enclosure, would enable some separation of the sensitive electronics from the noisy power electronics.

On a different note, I just broke my first end mill. (Just to be clear, I have broken many an end mill, but I broke the first one on my converted machine.) I was machining a piece of .25" aluminum clamped with tow clamps, and of course I had the retract height too low and unintentionally attempted to mill a .25" slot in a tow clamp at 300ipm rapid. Oh well, now I'm setting 5" retract heights for everything! Overkill, but safe.

Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Kurt and Guys;
    My PDB is a planetary gear type very similar to the one sold by Novakon for the Pro. I don't know how similar it is mainly due to the fact than I've never seen the Novakon unit except in pictures. The thread posted during it's design was very interesting and the rest was just figuring out how it was designed and the theory of operation. It took almost two years for me to get a working model but it works great now!
    I'll try to post a pix of my TTC lathe. I bought it when I first decided to do metal working and had no idea what a lathe was supposed to be used for. It is a gear head (pain) and doesn't even have a threading dial. Needless to say it has seen very little use over the years but may be a useful platform for a cnc conversion even though it most likely will not be very strong and will flex under a semi heavy cut. But, what the heck, most of the fun is doing the conversion!
    Bill

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC-ttc-lathe-jpg  
    billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

KCJ
    Very nice work on your conversion!
    I really enjoyed my mill conversion, and have gotten lots of productive use (and my fair share of grief!) out of it.
    For me it's been an on-going project. I can't seem to quit making changes & improvements to it.

Bill,
    I would also be very interested in any info you had to share on the planetary gear PDB ..
    I converted my machine to a BT30 spindle by using a drop in unit from Charter Oaks .. but have had to go back to a threaded draw bar for that.
    An automated 'rotational' unit would be just the ticket for my current setup.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys, Long post:

I just loaded LinuxCNC onto a Boot-able USB stick in order to try it out on my garage computer. The object of exercise was to be able to not effect my brand new soiid state drive I had recently installed. I changed the boot sequence for the USB stick to start first and it worked. Of course I haven't actually done any machining using this setup, but it does start up and appear to work.

I know this is Kurt's thread, but I thought this my be of interested to all. I have made up a couple of proto-type drive systems for the X&Y axis on my mill and are providing some pictures. I like to fabricate things from steel if I can to avoid a big machining process since my equipment is not CNC yet. The pictures are probably self explanatory enough to see the simplicity of the idea. This is derived from some videos I saw on YouTube. The GT2 pulleys and belts are contained inside the rectangular tubing and capped with a low cost plastic piece ($1. each fro Mc-Master Carr). The rectangular tubing is mounted using the original holes at the end of each axis, and are slotted for belt tightening. The Timken tapered bearings are mounted in a piece of DOM tubing that I bored from each end on the lathe and then welded to a flat plate(3/8"x4"). I made all of these in afternoon in the shop using a Harbor Freight horizontal cut off saw, drill press, two hole saws (2 7/8" and 2") and TIG welder. I also fabricated a x axis ball nut mount using flat stock and DOM tubing. I will make the Z axis using the same techniques. I think I have less than $50 in all of the materials from Stock Car Steel here in the Charlotte area. I also got the rectangular tubing aluminum for about $5.00 per piece. This company cuts and delivers to me by the next day usually. No minimums and no cutting charges. I have no connection with them, but really like their service. I bought the tapered bearings on Ebay or Amazon for $26 for six bearings. The X&Y are 15mm x 35 mm and the Z is 3/4" x 1.781" These will be much stiffer than the Chinese radial bearings and don't require any set up or shimming. You simply tighten the nut until you take up all of the back lash. I made the nuts using split collars and tapped them to fit the screws. These can be tightened and loosened without harming the threads and hold tight. I am quite pleased with this setup. I installed the x axis ball-screw and have been using it by hand wheel.

Kurt, I recently bought a 20mm ball screw and an extra nut from Automated Technology to see if the LinearMotion stuff from EBay quality was decent. The nut that came with screw fits very well, but the extra nut is very loose on the screw. I noticed that one nut had red plastic ball returns and the other had gray. I suspect that they use the colors to identify the diameters of the balls in the nuts and the fitment strategy. I heard the guy from Arizona that re-packs these ball-nuts say that the screws and nuts vary a lot and are hand fitted. You may have trouble getting a spare nut to match up with your current setup. Just an observation on my part. I re-packed my gray nut with .125 balls to tighten it up and it was way to tight on my screw. The balls that came with the extra nut were .1245, so a little makes a huge difference.

I need some help getting oil grooves milled into my castings since I don't have another mill. Mike Hall, since you are in my area, do you have a running machine or know of a small shop that could do this? I am having trouble in getting someone to do this. None of the shops around here want to mess with me. Kick me out if I am hogging this thread...
    Thanks, Michael

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC-img_0259-jpg   ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC-img_0250-jpg   ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC-img_0254-jpg   ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC-img_0252-jpg  

ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC-img_0261-edited-jpg  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast